Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
Alpine Owners Club
Unhappy ALK CoPilot support

I have been running ALK CoPilot on my WIN 7 laptop and thought that adding VMSpc would be a good idea to allow me to monitor engine performance. Dale Kemper at Silver Leaf Electronics was a GREAT help, he is familiar with our Alpines and made gettng it set up simple.

I ran into several problems with ALK, not the least of which is CoPilot opens in maximize and can NOT be changed so both VMS and CoPilot can be viewed at the same time . ALK support told me that they are aware of this problem and their best suggestion was to use ALT-Tab to change between programs rolling down the road at 60 MPH that does not seem like a smart idea . I went back to Delorme Streets Plus (it can be sized so I can view BOTH VMSpc and Streets Plus without taking my hands off the wheel and leaning across to the laptop). From the Delorme support folks I also found out that discoveryowners.com has a LOT of map overlays (Walmart locations, low clearance (the main reason I wanted to use ALK) flying J, state parks, many, many more). To be fully transparent the site also has CoPilot overlays.

Oh did I mention ALK's support (after the initial 60 days) is via email, and you get a different person that does not seem to have read prior emails ! Anyone want a used copy of CoPilot cheap? I'll even include the Bluetooth GPS receiver I had to purchase (ALK will not work with a standard GPS receiver).

Bottom line, I am sticking with Delorme I can get an annual upgrade for the next 3 years from them and still be money ahead of the ALK solution!

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Cape Cod, MA
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the heads up!

2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
We also used CoPilot on laptop in our Alpine. Prior to upgrading to a new laptop, I called ALK and asked if their new program would work with a Toshiba 64 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM80. I was told they expected to have it ready in two months. I'm still holding. ALK doesn't return my calls (when I can get through) on calls or emails. Time to switch.
Tom & Johnna Phillips, Falcon, Colorado
Teddybear the Pom
2005 Alpine Limited 40' FDTS #75381 / 2009 Saturn Outlook
TOJOS is offline   Reply With Quote