Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:27 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
With Hydro Hot and the Amana refrigerator, isn't the stove-top the only thing left using propane? Wouldn't it make sense to replace it with an electric stove-top (like a halogen unit) and thus eliminate both the need to refill the propane and the 300+ lb weight of a full tank?

Norm

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2006, 06:27 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
With Hydro Hot and the Amana refrigerator, isn't the stove-top the only thing left using propane? Wouldn't it make sense to replace it with an electric stove-top (like a halogen unit) and thus eliminate both the need to refill the propane and the 300+ lb weight of a full tank?

Norm

Old 06-08-2006, 04:04 AM   #3

I have been scratching my head for 2 years over the lack of an all-electric option. I just don't see the need to pack around a lifetime supply of propane. I must admit I like the smell of the burning gas when I occasionally brew a pot of coffee in an old fashion stovetop peculator

To make use of the excess propane I plumbed my patio with a disconnect to supply LPG to my outdoor kitchen and ring of fire here at our home base at ORA of the Ozarks. I actually will need to fill the tank for the first time in 2 years when I leave for Washington Saturday.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:01 AM   #4

Thanks Wayne! Eighteen months into partial Alpine enjoyment and we still see a full reading on the propane guage (good chance it doesn't work either). I often overlook simple solutions just so I can find out how many trees make a forest. As I am now planning an outdoor room addition at the ORA Rancho CA, I will add a black pipe tie in near the planned parking spot abeam the propane tank.

And "Oregon" I agree (wife does like gas over electric)it would seem simple to just have elec. I wonder how much weight we would save on tank and pipes in addition to propane; and what fuel savings that might provide while driving. Any comment from WRV engineers?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:45 AM   #5

If I had the space back I'd fill the compartment w/at least 300# of junk, so I probably wouldn't save any over-the-road fuel.
You could actually do the conversion pretty easily. There was an article in FMCA 4-6 months ago about a single wide, 31' coach that had no cooktop permanently mounted. They had two movable burner units, that were IIRC induction type electric, and only got one out most of the time. Seemed pretty slick. You could mount them permanently or do a small electric drop-in (tho many of those are 220; the counter-top units in the article were 110).
Old 06-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
The irony is too great for me, but these Alpine cooktops (No! Not that Alpine)come in 120 or 240 volt.120 volt cooktops

I will try to discuss this with WRV.

PS Engineer Mike-- remember,there is no floor under the propane tank when you toss stuff in there.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
For those interested, it's not dificult to add a louvered floor under the propane tank for storage of extra hoses, tire chains, etc.

I know most of the big buss conversions are all electric; however, the ones I've been in have 4000 watt inverters times two!!!

I replaced the convection/microwave in my 03 with an Advantium; the voltage is marginal when I'm running on batteries.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:28 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Considering that the Advantium can draw 1800 watts- I can see why it is marginal with a 2K inverter.

Vagabondman: Indeed, the $1Mil+ Marathon has two 4K inverters. The puzzle is that it still has only 6 house batteries-- the same # as the Alpine. Even assuming the Marathon has larger batteries (which is unlikely given the sad state of battery technology), it seems it would not take long to exhaust those batteries. But I suppose with a 20K generator on board and the deep pockets of someone who can afford the Marathon-- it likely does not matter.

Norm
Old 06-13-2006, 08:53 AM   #9

I know that I am not on the leading edge, but I am kind of glad that I have one of those old fashion refers. My coach is 9 months old and have had the inverter in the generater(didn't know I had one there) replaced and have had coach battery charging problems (3 times), which have left me requiring propane. Even so, I still have over 1/2 tank of the propane that was in the coach when delivered. Hope there will be a way to refil it when needed!!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 06:50 PM   #10

I'm glad for our old fashioned refrigerator. We often run it on propane when we are camping on 30A - it saves 3A draw, and that really helps when we need to run both A/Cs at once.

It's been a little over a year now and we are down to 3/5 of a tank, so it'll take a while, but we'll use it.

And I cannot IMAGINE cooking on an electric burner cook top - always hated them. Gotta have gas burners.

I know - for folks that always have 50A hookups, or don't mind running generators most of the time, power draw isn't an issue.

Audrey
Old 06-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
My wife always had a great fear of the propane stove in our RV trailer or any gas stovetop for that matter. She said she singed her eyebrows lighting a gas stovetop when she was young. Its hard to change old habits now so I think I will switch out the gas burner and install an Alpine 110v stovetop when I take delivery.

The Amana refer used in the Alpine is the same exact unit as the refer in our kitchen-- and I seem to be quite capable of filling that up-- especially the freezer side. Which makes me wonder if any of you carry a supplemental 12v freezer in the basement. Living on my own now means lots of frozen food meals.

Norm
Old 06-16-2006, 04:06 AM   #12

As a suggestion you might want to try the cooktop before you go to the trouble of installing it. I would think a 110V cooktop would be extremely slow.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:02 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Ted & Carol: Definitely a good idea to try it out first. Hopefully one of the larger marine supply outfits in the Portland area can demo a 110 unit.

Audrey: Have you ever tried a halogen stovetop? They do have share one advantage of gas/propane, instant-on instant-off. Our stovetop has 2 halogen and 2 traditional coil units imbedded in glass. Once I used the halogen- I rarely used the coil units again.

Norm
Old 06-16-2006, 12:51 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Audrey: Have you ever tried a halogen stovetop? They do have share one advantage of gas/propane, instant-on instant-off. Our stovetop has 2 halogen and 2 traditional coil units imbedded in glass. Once I used the halogen- I rarely used the coil units again.

Norm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, never have. The instant on/off feature would be a major benefit. I bet they require a pull a lot of amps though?

Audrey