Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2017, 12:14 AM   #1

All Hydraulics Down

Hello Everyone, i recently bought a 2001 Alpine Coach. 4 months, everything works ok, then , the leveling wont work, slide wont open, front cap wont open. All things hydraulic are down. I looked at the pump, nothing unusual. when buttons are pressed in cab, i hear click under neath, but nothing moves. Fluids are full. I looked for fuses, all are good. Do any of you know something else i can check. Thanks.
Cajun Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2017, 01:24 AM   #2

When I had this problem, the brushes in the motor on the hydraulic pump had worn out. I replaced the motor and the problem was solved. If you have a volt meter or a test light put it on the power terminal at the pump motor and have someone try something hydraulic. If there is power on the motor terminal but the motor does not run, then a new motor is likely in order.

- Jerry
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #3

Have you checked the battery voltage? The hydraulic system likes a fully charged battery bank.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Do you have a reset button in your HWH bay? Yes, check voltage.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:51 PM   #5

Check the connector on the underside of the touchpad. Noted to come loose from opening the drawer. Can try access by loosening touchpad. But best access is by removing both panels under dash in front of passenger seat. If not possibly
Solanoid attached to pump motor
Old 10-23-2017, 10:44 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Joe View Post
Hello Everyone, i recently bought a 2001 Alpine Coach. 4 months, everything works ok, then , the leveling wont work, slide wont open, front cap wont open. All things hydraulic are down. I looked at the pump, nothing unusual. when buttons are pressed in cab, i hear click under neath, but nothing moves. Fluids are full. I looked for fuses, all are good. Do any of you know something else i can check. Thanks.

When you press the buttons in cab you say you hear a “click underneath”, you should also hear the pump start running. The pump draws a LOT of current, like 100 amps, so it is best to be connected to shore power. If trying to level on batteries it will work on a fully charged battery bank, but you will draw it down significantly and need to recharge it very soon. Also if your battery bank is not in good condition you will have problems.

The click you hear is the solenoid engaging. That should start the pump, so if your Battery bank is in good shape you should hear the pump run. You will have to locate the fuses and check the grounds. Also be sure BOTH disconnect switches are turn on, you need the chassis batteries AND the house batteries to run the pump, the ignition switch must be on, either in run or accessory position (the chassis batteries) and the pump runs on the house bank.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:44 PM   #7

all hydraulics down

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
When you press the buttons in cab you say you hear a “click underneath”, you should also hear the pump start running. The pump draws a LOT of current, like 100 amps, so it is best to be connected to shore power. If trying to level on batteries it will work on a fully charged battery bank, but you will draw it down significantly and need to recharge it very soon. Also if your battery bank is not in good condition you will have problems.

The click you hear is the solenoid engaging. That should start the pump, so if your Battery bank is in good shape you should hear the pump run. You will have to locate the fuses and check the grounds. Also be sure BOTH disconnect switches are turn on, you need the chassis batteries AND the house batteries to run the pump, the ignition switch must be on, either in run or accessory position (the chassis batteries) and the pump runs on the house bank.

100 amps seems way too high. More like 30 max. If 100 it would pop breakers.
carlgorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:58 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Wrong! The HWH pump draws approximately 100 amps (give or take) per HWH and the HWH fuse in the rear is 250 Amps. I've replaced enough motors AND that 250 Amp fuse to know.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
We need someone with a 2001 to tell the OP (Joe) exactly where the fuse is located, a picture would be best, I would do it, but a 2005 will look different than a 2001.

Joe, you need to be careful when you read responses to a post. There are a lot of folks that want to help but are not familiar with Alpine. WRV did things a bit differently and people that are not familiar with our coaches wanting to help could lead you down the wrong path. An example of that is above, HWH hydraulic systems draw around 100 amps while running (this is not unique to Alpines, just HWH systems) people who are not familiar with the system, while meaning to help, can get you chasing the wrong thing. If you look at the cables running to the system you will see “00” cable, a heavy gauge wire because the current draw is so high.

Check your fuses and particularly the ground cables. Additionally, WRV is known for having problems with short cables on the Touchpad (and way to long cables in the A/V cabinet) and since it is in the pullout drawer it is susceptible to breaking (I had it happen on mine a few years ago, it was the ground wire so nothing worked). Since you are hearing the solenoid activate (click), I suspect it is not the touchpad, but check it anyway.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #10
Commercial Member

if you had a service manual, it would tell you to check the motor and solenoids .
if the engine starts, the batteries are good enough to run the hwh system.
take a test light and check the master solenoid. one of the larger studs should be hot all the time. turn the key on, and the system. the other stud should be hot, as well as one stud on the pump relay, or solenoid.
when you start the leveling process, the other stud on the pump solenoid should be hot, as well as the stud on the back of the pump, which should start the pump motor. this is the sequence of operation.
if any one of the steps doesnt work, follow the service manual to do the diagnosis.
normally, its either the pump motor or one of the solenoids.
i can help.if you want to call,
1-602-549-3638
paul maddox
i work for hwh corp. i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #11

On my 2001 I've had the pump motor fail 3 times (so far). The problem on mine has always been the ground for the brushes.

As someone already said, put a voltmeter (or test light) on the 12V terminal on the motor. Have some one try to extend the generator slide or the room slide. If you are getting 12V to the motor, then the problem is with with motor.

The motor can be fixed - or you can get a new one from HWH.

If not the motor, I've also had one of the solenoids that are attached to the motor fail.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2017, 03:51 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I suggest using Stuarts HWH Replacement Service:

HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services

You will get immediate attention at very good prices. They have HWH parts NOT "knock-offs). They're also very helpful with technical support type questions.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:10 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
I suggest using Stuarts HWH Replacement Service:

HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services

You will get immediate attention at very good prices. They have HWH parts NOT "knock-offs). They're also very helpful with technical support type questions.
Concur, Chuck Stuart is great and he knows his hydraulics. A great source of guidance and information.
1-800-826-6267
1-574-262-0225

M-F/0700-1500 (3:00 PM) Eastern time.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Joe View Post

Joe, how did you make out.

Tags
hydraulics, hydraulic