Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #1

Alpine Apex 2006 Step Malfunctioning

I'm trying to use this forum to get some ideas on where else to troubleshoot after replacing the Kwikee step motor and controller...I extend the step and it loses power, have to turn house batteries on and off to reset, step will then retract and then lose power again. I believe it's a defective relay in the coach but don't know location. Please HELP!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #2

Phil-
1)
2) your step receives power from the Vansco PDM. On your rig I believe its located on the forward side of the bulkhead, RH side, behind the gen slide. LED's 9 & 10 indicate power out to Step Motor 1 & Step Motor 2 respectively. There is the switch in the door jamb some how (just checked mine & it appears to be behind the second plastic grommet on strike side of jamb just below the RVIA sticker, so the step knows when door shuts so it knows to put step in; guessing its a magnetic contact type installed in the frame w/magnet in door side). And there is the switch by passenger (Entry Step on/off) that can be used to turn the door actuator switch off so step stays out while you are parked & go in/out opening & closing the door. I haven't followed the circuit to see the full route. There is a fail safe that will retract the step if needed when engine starts & door closed regardless of passenger switch position IIRC. I don't know of any relay.
3) hope to see you around here more. Mike

Old 06-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Mike is correct, most like the magenetic contact are not working correctly. Make sure they line up with it's associated place on the door. I have two contacts on our door (Mid door), both of them have to make contact on the strike place. If you start the engine with the door step switch in the camping postion on "ON", that door circuit will close it for sure. THere is a door step controller behind the dash I believe. You can go to Kwikee's site and download the manual for your model, which will show you installation instructions and possible the shape or location of the door step controller. Mine is behind the dash on the passenger side, remove the panel in front of the PS seat. Most likely a lose wire possibly.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #4

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I trouble shot per Kwikee owners manual the ignition switch, magnetic door switch, step rocker switch and all check ok. I used a magnet to activate the door magnet switch which did not do anything. I assume there is a miro processor in the VANSCO PDM that gets reset when I cycle the house power off and on, which lets the step extend or retract, then lose power at the end of each function.
I tried to remove the magnetic door switch but was unable to pull it out far enough from the door jam to check it out further, however Kwikee trouble shooting says it is working properly.
I know nothing about the PDM so unless someone has any other suggestions???????
By the way, being a newbie, I think this forum is great!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #5

Phil- The PDM is not programmable, it is simply a distribution panel w/a few switches. You should have the LEDs lit or not according to the photos in this thread. So there is nothing in it that will make decisions about step extension or retraction. There is a relay ahead of the Step Motor1 & Step Motor2 outputs that make 12V available on those two wires, but the same relay lights LEDs 7-12 (including the 9 & 10 for SM1 & SM2). So if all 7-12 LEDs are still lit when your step craps out, & you can verify there is actually 12V going out on those two circuits, the PDM is OK. If LEDs 9 or 10 die out when the step moves the one time, there is likely a problem w/the PDM; if its the relay internal to PDM i'd expect to see all LEDs 7-10 go out.

Have you verified that the step closes if ON/OFF switch is OFF & door is closed? Step closes if switch is ON, step out, door closed, then engine is started?
Step is closed, switch ON, door closed, then step opens when door is opened?