Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:41 PM   #1

Alpine coach outside paint

Help. I have a 2004 alpine coach. I love my coach. The outside paint have some places on it that look like bubbles. I am not sure if this was a factory problem or just on my coach. Has anybody out there had any outside paint problem. Please help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #2

Most units, especially older, do not come with a protective gloss over the paint so that's why it will begin to bubble/warp.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:06 PM   #3

Industrial finishes in Eugene Or.
541 485 1503
I think these guys supplied paint for WRV.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #4

Could you be more specific about the "bubbles?" Some problem areas on older Alpine coaches include the rolled edge of the roof where the clear coat often peels and around the trim edges on the slides where poor prep work may have left contamination on the fiberglass. Some owners also complain that darker colors, especially black, seem to loss some luster or develop small bumps in the surface. Given the age of your coach, and the likely weathering/fading of the paint--they all do it, probably better to go with an established auto paint outfit and get a good color matching process, vs going back to match the factory-fresh colors....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #5

Scout the paint is coming up on the side not at the edge or corners. It look like a blister then you pop the bubble and you can see all the way to the base. Thanks for reply.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:17 PM   #6

Thanks to all that replied.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:29 AM   #7

We have a 2005 Alpine that has had bubbling issues ever since we bought it and they have done nothing but get worse as the years have gone by. Attempts to repair have only resulted in more bubbling. We were told it was caused by something that must have gotten on to the finish under the paint during manufacturing. Short of a full repaint there has been nothing we could do to fix the situation
Old 01-09-2016, 03:26 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynpaws View Post
We have a 2005 Alpine that has had bubbling issues ever since we bought it and they have done nothing but get worse as the years have gone by. Attempts to repair have only resulted in more bubbling. We were told it was caused by something that must have gotten on to the finish under the paint during manufacturing. Short of a full repaint there has been nothing we could do to fix the situation

Flynpaws, a reputable paint shop should be able to eliminate the problem. I had bubbling on the DS slide, I took it to WRV and they repainted the slide. That was 2006, but no problems since. There are also body shops that advertise in FMCA journal if you can't find one local.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #9

It was a very reputable shop referred to us by Western RV. Western RV agreed to pay for the necessary repairs, however, they went out of business about a week later. Since that time these small bubbles have appeared on several different places all over the RV. It would require an entire RV paint replacement in order to fix all of them now.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:11 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Unfortunately I guess you have your answer. Since you had problems with the work done by that shop you might try another, maybe someone who knows of one in the Englewood, Colorado area can refer you

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:14 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW - I lived in the Colorado area and used the Diversified Body & Paint shop located close to the I70/I40 "Mouse Trap" downtown. They specialize in big truck & RV painting. I had the radius and some various sections painted. They did a good job and even repainted a panel that I complained about being "slightly lighter" in the sunlight. The price was pretty reasonable.

I've used Freightliner body shop here in the Phoenix area with good results. There's a Freightliner in the Denver area so you can try them as well. I would get estimates and go from there.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:57 PM   #12

It was diversified who did the first repair. They told me it was something done at manufacturer. Maybe something got on the skin during prep but they weren't sure. They refused to make any more repairs and told me it would need to be taken down to the bare base and entirely repainted to stop it happeNing more. We.love the coach so we opted to wait and see how bad it gets and then decide what to do. Each year it develops more tiny bubbles and now it's 11 years old with 200,000 miles so we'll most likely trade it in as is.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Bummer, but they may be telling you the truth. I'd try getting a second opinion at the Freightliner body shop there in Denver.

FWIW, my coach has what I call "chicken scratching" in the dark color stripes which is fairly common on these coaches. I've had multiple shops tell me about the same thing Diversified told you. Apparently, the fiberglass preparation was not done as good as it should have been by WRV. They also tell me that it can be repainted but the cracking will undoubtedly return due to the fiberglass situation.

Good luck!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Regarding the Chicken scratching issue. I talked to a guy who had 20+ years experience doing body work/painting on both trucks and "buses". He stated that the cracking issue has to do with the dark paint colors. The darker colors absorb more heat than the lighter colors so the paint expands a little. When things cool off the paint contracts. Over time this expansion/contraction leads to small cracks in the paint. The longer this goes on, the more cracks will show up.

Tags
paint