Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #29

This is really hard to diagnose thru the forum. As I recall, the old 458 has a manual pop fuse and or a reset button--located on the inverter itself. Need to ensure the pop fuse is reset before moving forward with other concerns... You also need to make sure that if on shore power, the 120v/30 amp inverter input breaker in the gray breaker box [under the sink in the bathroom] are reset. Would also turn off the inverter output breaker in the black box--once the inverter is up and running, you can power up the circuits in the black box.
Any chance there is a fellow RVer in the area that can give you some one-on-one orientation on the basic functions and ops of RV inverters.
PS--the inverter is hot-wired directly to the battery bank for 12v/120v inverter ops so trouble-shooting 12v invert mode vs 120v "by-pass" mode are different.

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
You said you pulled the phone cord out "for a few seconds" but Xantrex recommends atleast 30 - seconds. I've used that procedure twice with complete success.

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:20 PM   #31

I pulled the phone plug off for 10 minutes and when I plugged it in the charge lite came on. Then about 5 minutes it went out. I read in a on line post that there's a little fuse inside 1 amp. I checked push fuse on side 25 amp and it wasn't out. There's two lights that are on the front,one said invertor and the other said charger. I pushed the off and on for each one and there lights came back on.

Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 Diesel
Old 03-04-2015, 05:56 AM   #32

I downloaded a troubleshooting guide on it and it said to unhook 110 v power from coach and unplug remote and take positive wire off invertor for ten seconds. this should reset it. Its worth a try. This morning on email showed I had a message on forum but I didn't receive nothing. Thanks everyone
Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 Cummins
Boston KY
Old 03-06-2015, 06:01 AM   #33

Hey everyone, I've not stopped yet but we just got 18" of snow here and dropped to -5 so I had other things to do. They are calling for it to warm up this week so I can go out and play. I'm going to try what I was told to try to reset everything on invertor. It might get cold again but next year I'll be a little further south. You all have been a big help to me and I do want to thank you. As soon as it clears I'll be knocking at your door. I don't have much more to fix on inside. The outside has some clear coat problems. Again thank you for your help.

Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 Cummins Diesel
Boston Ky
Old 03-07-2015, 06:15 AM   #34

Hey everyone, I took the land power off the Coach and unhooked the phone and unhooked the positive side of the invertor to Battery's. When I did this I heard a click. I waited a minute and hooked all back up. It' working like a top. Thanks everyone for your help. The key was to totally unhook all power that could get to invertor. I'll find some more problems but you guys are the best. I wonder how many invertors have been changed that wasn't bad. When I talked to the dealer they said my invertor was shot. Some one said to go to dealer and not all dealer's are bad but here there's snow on ground and they are hungry. Again thank you guys for all your help. My next move will be checking those 6 house Battery's. The temp here is going to start warming up. My tires are 5 yrs old I'm going to have them checked and the steer rebalanced. Thanks again

Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 Cummins tow 2005 Trailblazer
Boston Ky
Old 03-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Larry, I'm VERY happy that your 458 is back to normal but BE CAREFUL. You're actually living on borrowed time. Those old 458's are easy to abuse and give up the "magic smoke" just when you think everything is great. In particular, DO NOT overload the outlets in the kitchen & bathroom by using items such as microwave, coffee maker, toaster, and hair dryer simultaneously. The outlets that are hot when the inverter is ON & ACTIVE are on the same source that's charging the batteries AND powering your DC lights.

My new SCP displays the AC "IN" current being used whereas that old SCP does not. So, we can check load status when determining what items to use without overloading the circuit. I've been a little surprised at just how much current just a couple of items use!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #36

Thanks Bob, I have been reading on this invertor and now I'm dangerous. I didn't know about setting it up. I've set it now with the current that is coming in and so for [knock on wood] it's doing ok. I read about equalizing the Battery's and think that's my next move. This is the first Coach that I've seen with six house Battery's. When I purchased this Coach I got a extended Warranty with it and I want it go though everything to be right. The problem I had There's nobody here that wants to touch this Coach. Now that I have fixed a few things and know were the places are they will work on it. They were really scared of it. Warranty doesn't cover a lot of there time trying fine a invertor and the panels on this Coach. I want to thank you and all the guys for input and help. I'm not done yet but with the things you guys have helped me with I'm on the right road.

Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 Cummins / 2005 Trailblazer
Boston Ky
Old 03-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #37

Hey everyone where can you buy the running lights on rear of Coach? I want to put back the same ones. These are the red on top 5 running lights.
Do you have a Napa part number for them?
Thanks again

Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 Cummins / 2005 Trailblazer
Boston Ky
Old 03-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #38

Larry:

I suggest you start a new thread with a title relating to the rear running lights. You'll probably get quicker and more experienced answers. As you have found out, there's a wealth of information out there.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #39

Dont have the NAPA part numbers but they had ones that fit my 03 exactly and they were LED [nice and bright and no more rusty bulb connections]--"cheap" to boot--around $8-9 each....
Old 03-10-2015, 06:01 AM   #40

Thanks Old Scout,
There something else I learnt yesterday. I put a new Brake light switch on the coach and when I did the brake pump ran when I pushed on brakes. The brake light switch I removed has not worked in years. It was so froze, I put it in the vice and soaked it with rust blaster for hours and then used some channel locks to break it loose. It is still in vice and still froze. My question is every time I press the brake paddle the hydra pump comes on then when I let off its quits. Is that normal. Be fore I fixed the brake switch the brake paddle would go almost to floor and soft. Now when I press the paddle it becomes hard quick. I have not drove it yet to see the difference. Is that how yours works Old Scout?
Thanks again

Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 Cummins /2005 Trailblazer
Boston Ky
Old 03-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #41

The short answer to your question is yes. Given the brake set-up in our older coaches, the brake pedal switch has impact on a lot of sub-systems. The hydroboost is designed to provide secondary power braking in the event the primary hydraulic system on the engine fails. Accordingly, if you step on the brake pedal with the engine off, the brake switch engages a small 12v motor that delivers aux boost pressure to the brake pedal.

So with the engine off, what you hear is the 12v motor running and what you feel is the aux power boost being applied to the brake pedal. With the switch inoperative, what you were feeling was the brake pedal without the benefit of power boost.

PS-- older coaches have the switch hot wired so the hydroboost activates with the ignition switch on or off. Newer coaches [Vansco models] seem to need the ignition switch in the on position for the hydroboost to engage. I prefer our set-up.

PSS--a key point to remember is that the emergency/parking brake is air pressure released, not applied. So even if both the aforementioned primary and seconday braking systems should fail [unlikely], you can always pull the yellow handle on the dash and engage the parking brake.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:11 AM   #42

Old Scout when I drove this Coach home from the dealer about 760 miles away. Half way home my ABS light came on. When I got home I took it to get repaired and That's another story but they did reset the ABS. Could the power brake booster not working could have caused that. By the Brake switch being bad I had no brake lights and it wouldn't kill cruise control. This car pulled out in front of me. I hit the brakes and the governor kicked in I killed the cruise with smart wheel fast and brakes where soft and we almost hit the car. Then the guy from behind came around and was raising hell. I thought it was because I stopped so quick. But no brake lights. Then the ABS light came on. Now you understand why I ask so many questions. I called around and couldn't find anyone who would work on the peak. I finally found one and they couldn't find nothing wrong and didn't want to work on it. So its been me and all you guys helping me. Thank you all. I purchased a extended Warranty with this coach and not sorry yet. I have to find someone who will work on it first. I was in HVAC for 40 years and I understand wiring and Mechanical things. This has been fun and I just love the Alpine Coach. When I get this totally done and get bored I will look at a newer Unlimited. One more thing this was purchased as is and I got a good deal. So I'm not complaining to dealer. The service techs at his shop suck. I asked had they checked the air in tires and oils and all and they said yes. Lying piece of crap. Sorry for the long story but I feel better now. Again Thank you Old Scout and all the guys. I'm putting those new head lights in today. The temp here now is 60 surfs up!

Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 Cummins/ 2005 Trailblazer
Boston Ky