Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #43

Some of this will be of interest to the Alpine general public, some not so much. Suggest you consider PMing [private msg] me via this forum and we can discuss the 03 issues in more detail. As I mentioned, the brake switch has a lot impact on sub-systems, some of which are still a mystery to me after 12 years and 150k miles:

ABS light--Alpine used a std Wabco ABS system so the fact that you have a Peak chassis is not an issue. Its a challenge to find a qualified RV tech for almost any brand these days so dont feel alone. ABS light has been a periodic issue for me for years--could be one or more sensors on the wheels, could be the ABS body itself, or could be your hydraulic brake system. ABS is generally viewed as supplemental to you main braking [eg pulses brakes in an emergency stop vs having a primary impact]. Should be able to eventually find a tech to work on it but not a show stopper for now--IMHO. More to come.

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #44

With a functioning brake switch, brake lights should now be working, as should interface with cruise control and the exhaust PAC brake [you have a 350 Cummins so you have a PAC engine brake, not a Jake]. The "governor coming on" was probably the PAC brake engaging.

Unless the engine hydraulic system has failed--your aux hydroboost has no impact on braking while the engine is running. However, the fluid [ATF] in the engine hydraulic system [fan, brakes, steering] needs to be changed [filters too]. With the brake switch inoperable--your cruise control was probably stuck on until you released it manually.

Of all the issues mentioned thus far--the soft brake pedal during hard braking is the most concerning. If other maintenance aspects of this coach have been ignored, its a good bet the brake fluid has never been changed and the system flushed. This involves removing all 4 wheels to ensure the outside calipers on each wheel are properly flushed. Dont do/pay for anything less.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:31 AM   #45

Dave I ordered that switch NAPA#701-1606 and I got a air switch.
Thanks
Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 Cummins
Boston Ky
Old 03-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #46

Alpine Owners Club
NAPA may have changed the part number, here is another part number for the Brake Light Switch, Cole Hersee # 90043-07.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:17 AM   #47

Thanks Dave,
That part number worked and Its on its way. Do you know where I can get a wiring diagram for the front dash panel wiring? There's the fuses for fan and driving lights, relays, there and we have a problem. I don't have voltage to Driving light fuse nothing there not even to relay. So when I jumped and put volts on fuse the lights came on but no way to turn off. The switch wouldn't turn it off and I checked switch is ok I pulled relay and it still stayed on. That panel must be shorted or somebody has changed wiring. Fuse was good and switch was good and relay is good. If that circuit board is bad where can you get another one.
Thanks everyone

Larry Pate
2003 Alpine 38FDDS 350 ISC 2005 Trailblazer
Boston Ky
Old 03-18-2015, 05:10 PM   #48

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Larry, the wiring schematic is available on the Alpine Coach Association web site Tech Library. If you are talking about the circuit board in one of the black boxes you might try Aubrey's RV (WRV Parts) 2010 Landon Ave., Union Gap, WA 98903 800-300-4709 or 509-453-4709

The Black Box is an RV Bus Bussmann 12v Battery Fuse Panel Breaker Relay Box, WRV Alpine ACC, OEM. Here is one for sale on EBay.

Glad we finally got the correct part number.

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:21 AM   #49

Thank you Dave, I found the diagram of that panel and it looks like that box is all good. The problem is the power source that feeds the switch that's the Driving light switch. I'm hunting for a diagram of that. I haven't found a bad fuse but there's no power to that switch. I'm sure it would have to come out of these boxes but I haven't found it are a diagram of it yet. That power source has to be fused. Its not named Driving switch. I'm going to store and get a 6pack and look some more. If you see a diagram of the driving light switch and where its power source is let me know. I'm on the finish line having everything working. Thank You again for you and the guys help. Old Scout has come though also.
Thanks Everyone

Larry

2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 ISC
Boston Ky
Old 03-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #50

This may be too simple but it seems to me that on my 03, the ignition has to be on and the headlights on/dimmed for the driving lights to come on--I dont use the drive lights much but do make sure you have tried this protocol before digging deeper.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:52 AM   #51

Alpine Owners Club
Our driving lights come on when we put it in gear. They turn off when shifted to N or R. We have a separate switch for the round fog lights.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #52

I had the ignition switch on but I didn't check for low beam. I also will check for being in gear. The power source going to the switch is dead, so there's something out there that has to be on to put power on switch. I could not find no circuit in the fuse box feeding power to the switch. The wire had PNL-3 I think. I know it said PNL I'm not sure about the 3.
Thanks everyone I'm going at it again
Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDSD 350 ISC
Boston Ky
Old 03-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #53

Hi everyone, I went out and tried the motor running and in drive. Lights low beam and high beam nothing. Now the power wire that should feed the switch is PNL-8 and the wire it feeds is driving lights. The other wire is panel lights. So I have a ground wire and the one beside it should be hot and its not. I hope I'm being clear. I thought maybe a bad switch but I have no 12 volts there. then when you turn the dash lights on there's 12 for the little light on switch. Now I'm looking for where's PNL-8 go. Thanks Old Scout and everyone.

Larry Pate
Boston Ky.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #54

Think the relationship between being in gear and the driving lights is a Vansco module logic thing--only 04s and newer have these modules....so dont expect it on your 03. Assume your are talking about the driving lights [fog?] located down in the lower air dam part of the front cab? Still sounds like maybe a fuse issue--you checked all the fuses behind the kick panel, under the dash, in front of the passenger seat?
Old 03-20-2015, 01:14 AM   #55
hax

Seems these 03 that have been sitting are prone to a myriad of electrical gremlins. I've been trying to chase down a short or problem in my front cap loom. Sometimes when I turn on the overhead halogen lights, the front marker lights also come on. The marker lights won't come on when the headlights are turned on. Other times the overhead fan will turn on the marker lights, in this scenario, if I turn on the overhead lights the fan will stop. I've disconnected the pin connectors from all the switches and sprayed them with contact cleaner several times. After read through this thread, I went out and cycled on the driving lights with the ignition off, and my electric step retracted??? I turned on the key and cycled the driving light switch a couple of times, then turned on the headlights and the marker lights come on and the fan and halogen lights are working normal. The headlight switch housing has a small crack on the instrument dimmer side, but I don't think that is the problem. Several days ago I sprayed all the pin connectors and switches and the lights worked normal, then the next morning they cursed again. Hopefully they will be working tomorrow morning or I'll be sipping Wild Turkey rather early. If Dave, Old Scout, or any other Alpine gurus have any ideas, I'd sure appreciate them. Thanks

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:50 AM   #56

The Driving lights I'm speaking of are the fog lights over behind the transmission pad. There is a wire that feds 12v to that and that sends it to the driving relay which brings on the Fog lights. Yes the ignition has to be on. But I can't locate the 12v source. I have checked all fuses over there on passenger side. Some how it splits off from there. I wished I new what else it takes care of to look for bad connection. Then I could be looking right at it and need to just think awhile. I'm wanting to know which fuse so I can back track. If you think of something Old Scout please throw it out here. I might have to track down Eng.Mike. I can't find the numbers to match on the fused boxes. The one wire, said driving lights I found and that what brings on that relay,but the PNL 8 brings power to that Driving light switch.
Thanks everyone

Larry Pate
Boston Ky