Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #1

After owning my coach for nearly two years, I finally got fed up with the complexity of getting satellite TV. The final straw was when I purchased an external dish to receive around trees and the satellite port was dead. Despite the wiring diagram provided to me by WRV, it was impossible to understand the reality of the connections when compared to the diagram--too many splitters and coax spagetti. I even had an A/V guy look at the set up, he just shook his head and said "it will never work". So, I had the guts ripped out and the whole system re-wired with a high quality A/V controller. Now I'm waiting for the new show&tell demo.

sdcyclist
2006 36FDDS
thought it was de-bugged

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #2

After owning my coach for nearly two years, I finally got fed up with the complexity of getting satellite TV. The final straw was when I purchased an external dish to receive around trees and the satellite port was dead. Despite the wiring diagram provided to me by WRV, it was impossible to understand the reality of the connections when compared to the diagram--too many splitters and coax spagetti. I even had an A/V guy look at the set up, he just shook his head and said "it will never work". So, I had the guts ripped out and the whole system re-wired with a high quality A/V controller. Now I'm waiting for the new show&tell demo.

sdcyclist
2006 36FDDS
thought it was de-bugged

Old 01-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
sdcyclist,
I would be enterested in knowing what you did.
On our previous MH we had a switch box that one could switch any antenna or dvd player to either tv, very simple. The Alpine manual explains about nothing. And what a mess behind those great black panels that keep the heat in.
You can reply to my email address if you like.
Brad
Old 01-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"it will never work". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I admire your "Guts" to do this . I too am feed up with inability to record to the VCR.
My solution was a DVR box.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Last summer in Junction City we paid someone (Bobby Voden)who use to work for Guaranty to change our entertainment center and put in a switch box.

It made everything so much easier and it did away with the parasitic draw we were getting when everything was turned off but it wasn't really "off". And it also did away with the heat that we were getting in the cabinets when everything was "off".
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #6

two sailors,

I had a Winegard A/V controlled 6 input switch box installed. All works now with just the push of a button. All of the WRV cabling and splitters were removed (appologies to Phil Mattoon)and replaced. Fortunately on my rig WRV did a good job on managing the component heat generation.

Milo
2006 36FDDS
Old 01-27-2008, 07:25 AM   #7

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I had a Winegard A/V controlled 6 input switch box installed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Milo, what is the model number of the switch box you installed? All coax connections? Several Apex owners also have totally redone their coaches using the old Winegard switch boxes with all coax connections to simplify operation of the A/V system. HD video is usually hooked up with composite video or HDMI cables for max video quality. I am having trouble visualizing how to get HD video through the switch box with coax connections without loss of video quality. What am I missing?
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Basil,

HD video should be run to the TV through HDME or component (3 cables just for video + 2 for audio) cables from the satellite receive and the DVD player. This of course, requires the input on the TV to be changed each time you change the source of what you are watching, an added complexity. This is my preferred method along with a Harmony RC.

The antenna feed for the OTA antenna and cable can be run through a switch box to both TVs with no problems, but the satellite antenna cables should not. (Unless there are some new switch boxes out there that I don't know about.) Running all of your video inputs to the TVs, after the satellite, through a switch box using the antenna in on the TVs is the easiest way to do it, but as you stated you will loose video quality.

The problem I have in trying to help anyone, is that our systems are different depending on what year your coach is. I am just familiar with 2002 and 2007. The other problem I have is the same one that the factory has. Everyone has different requirements from their systems. Like, do you require a cable or external satellite dish? How do you use your rear TV? etc.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #9

I agree with Dale. Using the Winegard switch box, which came with the '04's, is great for switching which coax cable goes to the VCR, the bedroom TV, or an outside TV. But to get the best picture on the wide screen TV's you need to use either a HDMI connection or the component video connections to the TV directly from the satellite tuner and/or the DVD player.

(Either HDMI or component video connections are required for high def.)

If you are going to rewire your entertainment center using the coax cables, you might want to consider using Impact Acoustics Velocity Mini-coax cables. They are smaller and very flexible, making it easier to run the leads to all the necessary components, and stuff everything back in the cabinet. They come in various lengths, as short as 1.5 feet.

http://www.cabletechnology.com/index...ROD&ProdID=445

Many universal remotes like the Harmony can record macros which will change the TV input automatically. If set up correctly. Worth every penny!!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #10

Basil,

The video selector installed is a Winegard VS6412RV. As noted by Jim A, the video connections are by RCA plug which is not the best for signal transfer (S-video in next best and Component is the finest). Even though my satellite receiver is the RCA HD model, I did not subscribe to DirectTV HD programming. Since the changes have been made, I have not run a DVD to look for a decrease in image quality.

Milo
2006 36FDDS
Old 01-28-2008, 12:58 PM   #11

Milo,

That is the same Winegard switch that came in my '04 coach. What you did is probably what WRV used to do! I still use it to control what goes to the bedroom TV, and it works well. But I don't use it to select what goes to the plasma screen. Depending on what size TV screen you have, I suspect you will see a difference in DVD image quality.

If it is noticable and is not acceptable to you, it is easy enough to connect the component video and the audio to a different input on the big TV. You don't need to change any of the other wiring. You can also do the same thing with the S-video and audio from the RCA HD box to another input on the TV.

Then you can easily just change the TV input to get the better picture, or stick with the simplicity of the coax switch at other times.

Basil,

You are correct. You can't get the HD signal by way of the coax. What I mention above will get it for you.