Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #1

Alpine Interior Height?

The factory brochure lists the interior height of the 2003 diesel coach as 6'7". Does anyone know if that's the actual ceiling height, or is it the height of the doorways, lights, etc., which are usually a couple inches lower? As I'm 6'4" tall, this can be a deal breaker! Unfortunately, all of the Alpine coaches I've looked at so far have been long distance, so I haven't been able to actually walk through one yet.
Hatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #2

I can't really answer the question, since I never really paid attention to it. But the '03 likely has the same stuff as my '04, and the lights, vents, air conditioners, etc. are mostly recessed, so not much is sticking down very far from that listed height. I am 6'2", and have never bumped my head on anything except the compartment doors!! Doorways are not dropped down from the ceiling except for the bathroom door, and you will likely have to duck for that one.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I just measured the ceiling height on my '03. Generally the lowest ceiling height is 77 inches to even the lights and a/c covers. The doorway between the kitchen and bathroom is 76.5" and the bathroom door height is 64". The light over the dining table hangs lower, but you would have to walk through the table to walk into that. So, it will be a close fit for your 6'4" frame. I ditto Jim A's comments. I'm 6'2" and have only banged my head on the storage bay doors and on the front TV (my fault for not paying attention!). Hope this info helps with your choice.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
OOPS! The height of the bathroom door is 6'4" or 76", not 64". Sorry about that.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdownward
OOPS! The height of the bathroom door is 6'4" or 76", not 64". Sorry about that.
At 64" I suddenly felt even shorter!! I never have to duck :-)
Old 01-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Know you want a higher ceiling, and maybe cost is the consideration, my suggestion is to not limit you to alpine brand alone. Some coach manufacturers had raised the roof line higher before alpine did in 08/09, so check out the following brands. You might be able to read brochure information on older coaches in their forum, or looking on other website's.

The brands are: Tiffin, Monaco, Beaver, Country Coach, Fleetwood “American Eagle only”, “Foretravel units in the 02-05” years (again if cost is an issue) and Winnebago Higher end lines. Some good info is also available in the back of the FMCA magazine with lots of units for sale, with web sites to get additional info or phone numbers of the owners so you could ask them. Hope this all helps.

Please note - there is no perfect RV, that includes Motorhomes, some compromise is necessary. You also should remember you will be living inside, so that is the area of most concern.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #7

Let's see, I've banged my head on the engine, rear axle, fuel filler tube, front axle, gen slide motor, muffler, battery tray, kitchen sink drain, bottom of fridge, water tank, water pump, HWH rear manifold, propane tank.... This could be a long thread if I keep this up
Old 01-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mike & All, the slide got my head once, but did not need stiches. However, in behind the large storage bin is hydraulic stuff I occasionally need to view, etc. And the slide rear hyd ram runs through the middle of it. The steel framework has real sharp corners, and I have opened up my arm and ruined clothes on this sharp stuff. I don't have a good powerful grinder to round off the corners and have learned to just be very careful when I'm in that space working. It gets me at least once every time even though I know about them. It's just tight in there.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #9

Thanks for the feedback, folks -- especially to rdownward for measuring his coach. Very helpful.

I've done the research online, and I haven't found a higher-end coach in our range (2000-2002, $50-$60k-ish) that has an interior height higher than 80". It looks like the manufacturers didn't start making taller coaches until the mid to late '00s, which will put them out of our price range.

So it's probably something I'll just have to live with -- I just won't ever wear a hat inside.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
So it's probably something I'll just have to live with -- I just won't ever wear a hat inside.
Maybe a protective helmet??

I hope you find a good coach in your price range. If so, you will be happy with it. As you can see most of us are happy with our coaches.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Maybe a protective helmet??
Actually, I race motorcycles and a great deal of the RV use is at the racetrack, so a helmet wouldn't be a problem . . .

At 6'4" tall, it's not that my head is actually hitting the ceiling, but the sensation of your hair brushing the ceiling can be a bit disconcerting. But it's not a deal-breaker.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #12

Yes it can be disconcerting. I don't blame you a bit. Like I said, fortunately very little is hanging down from the ceiling. Now that I think about it, the shower could be a little low, since there is a little step up. And definitely a low bridge getting into it with the door frame. (My coach is at the storage lot so I can't give you a measurement.)
Old 01-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Now that I think about it, the shower could be a little low, since there is a little step up. And definitely a low bridge getting into it with the door frame.
Ahh, but there is also a bubble skylight over the shower.......
Old 01-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #14

I haven't been in a Class C or Class A motorhome yet that my head wasn't in the skylight while in the shower . . .