Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:29 PM   #1

Alpine Smart Wheel

All operations from the Smart Wheel have ceased on our 40FD. All individual fuses test ok. Is there a fuse just for the Smart Wheel? If so, where is it located? I'm kind of stuck in Albuquerque and have to leave in two days. Can anyone help in this short time frame? Thanks

Dave&Kacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 06:18 PM   #2

Two suggestions--1] not sure about specific fuse for SW, but assume you have checked the fuses in all three fuse blocks behind the panel, under the dash, infront of the passenger seat????? and 2] try taking the plastic cover off from around the steering column to gain access to the multi-connector for the smart wheel--check for loose fitting, try unplug and replug.....believe smart wheel module is on the firewall to the left of steering column [my 03 is there]--check connections there too......

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Have you tried resetting the Vansco by turning off the chassis power switch located in the battery compartment.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #4

Its an 03--no Vansco to reset.......
Old 01-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Missed the 03 part. My bad.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #6

Thanks for the starting point

With all components inoperable, I chased the location of the SmartWheel control module to where you suggested. On our 03 the module is located to the left of the steering wheel, bolted to the back side of the dash. All I need is two right arms just to remove the connectors to determine if. Olathe is present. I did find VIP and their trouble shooting guide, very informative. However, if I could find a quick way to install a jumper circuit to operate the wipers until I get to South Texas. Guess I'll work on that tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for their input.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:45 AM   #7

PS--my Cruise Control gradually lost function--button by button. I desperation, I removed the CC touch pad from the wheel [two screws from below] and cleaned the connection contacts. CC recovered. Base on the sudden and total failure of your SW, I doubt if cleaning the contacts on the wheel would help. There is a multi=connector [maybe 4 wires] for the wipes next to wiper motor--open genset slide and look up under dash, amidships. Might be able to rig a 12 v source to one of the wires to run the wipers??????
Old 01-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #8

RainX on the windshield will at least reduce the need for wipers until you get things sorted out. I often drive without the windshield wipers running, as the water beads up and blows off. Of course, I am in southern CA, not Texas!
Old 06-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #9

Smart Wheel Problems

I just bought an Alpine 38', 2001 model year. I noted previously that the horn was only working occasionally. Yesterday while driving home from the area of purchase and having new tires installed, it was raining, quite heavily for the first half of the 100 mile trip, and sparingly for the last half. Turned the wipers on, worked great at seemingly only one speed, appeared to be the high setting. After rain ceased, tried to turn off the wipers to no avail, they kept working all the rest of the way home. All buttons pushed caused no change in runaway operation. Parked at home, turned key off, wipers still working, master switch off, wipers still working, then mysteriously stopped on their own. I have not tried the cruise control yet, that could be malfunctioning also.

From the previous posts on this thread, it appears there is some hope in checking the connections for tight connection, etc. Any other ideas before I tackle this issue?
Old 06-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #10

Update, found the horn fuse blown, replaced fuse, got a lot of smoke from under dash, removed fuse. Dismantled access panels in front of passenger and the surround around the column, found no apparent burnt wires and all connectors appear to be secure, wiggled to assure contact. Found SW master control mounted underside of dash in front of steering wheel. Still at a standstill on solving the mystery - HELP. RV dealers backed up due to 4th prep, mobile guy doesn't return calls.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:01 PM   #11

May not apply to your case, but several years ago in the cold front windshield iced up and when it melted water from that defrost traveled down the inside of the windshield and shorted out the smart wheel module. So if there has been such an episode or water should travel down the inside of the windshield this could be a cause.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:15 AM   #12

Thanks jetar, no water incident, just routine rains recently and no indications of leaks.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #13

Smart Wheel Update

Still working on this issue explained in other posts in this thread. Headlights not working (driving lights do and orange turn signals working), horn had a meltdown of the solenoid when I put a fuse in to replace the blown fuse and I replaced the solenoid, tested horn and it blew constantly, had to pull the fuse again. Wipers would not shut off after my initial use, had to pull the fuse. Decided all these functions go through the Master Controller, thus that was likely the problem, just finished installing the new controller - now still no headlights, no brake lights, limited voltage on 2 spades only in toad hookup, horn nor the wipers now work at all after replacing the fuses. Haven't tested the cruise control, now not a good idea since another poster indicated his stuck and he went to the ditch (not a good sign for mine when horn and wipers were working nonstop prior to master replacement).

Next step is testing the relays in the fuse block - does anyone have any other ideas on this problem? Any help welcome.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #14

Update: Tried the new controller, less functions than the old one. After cross checking power and ground input/outputs without any revelations, contacted vendor about returning the board. They quickly responded, no problem, pls. contact a tech before return to assure all problems are being fixed. Contacted the tech they gave, got a probable diagnosis of the touch pad on the wheel was the likely problem, he requested I send them the old controller and the touch pad for them to test. Touch pads NLA, thus they would rebuild the old one if needed. I sent them both touch pads since headlights/clearance light buttons are on each. They indicated they had a 2-3 week backlog of work, thus I hope if this solves my problem, others don't have the same problem on the road. More to come, Tech info shown as follows, they were very helpful and willing to check it out.

M&M RV, Mark or Chris, 419-965-2662, located in Ohio City, OH.