Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2006, 06:52 AM   #1

Any opinions how Alpine stacks up against the Bus and the Star. All three look good and all three have minor issues. The Alpine minor issue is the opening above the residential refrigerator looks like it could have used some trim to hide the opening. I tend to see a lot of Buses and a lot of Star but very few Alpines.

Also, I understand the Tiffin turns out 12 to 15 motorhomes per day, and have no idea how many Newmar makes a day. Any idea on how many Alpine produces as that may indicate why so few are seen. How about service East of the Mississippi?

We have been looking at and for a 36 mid door and a 40 mid door and like what we see. Hopefully we will find some or more to look at closer than California. Thanks in advance for any information.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2006, 06:52 AM   #2

Any opinions how Alpine stacks up against the Bus and the Star. All three look good and all three have minor issues. The Alpine minor issue is the opening above the residential refrigerator looks like it could have used some trim to hide the opening. I tend to see a lot of Buses and a lot of Star but very few Alpines.

Also, I understand the Tiffin turns out 12 to 15 motorhomes per day, and have no idea how many Newmar makes a day. Any idea on how many Alpine produces as that may indicate why so few are seen. How about service East of the Mississippi?

We have been looking at and for a 36 mid door and a 40 mid door and like what we see. Hopefully we will find some or more to look at closer than California. Thanks in advance for any information.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:24 AM   #3

I can only speak of our experience. We owned a Dutch Star and loved it until we ran into our Apex. There was no comparison to the driveability. The Peak chasis of WRV is fantastic. I do not believe the comparison should be between Kountry Star but rather at least a Dutch Star and for the Apex between Mountain Air and Essex. Newmar makes many coach's while WRV makes only a few a week. That is why you don't see too many Alpines or Apex's. One of the factors that you should consider is that you need to drive the ones that you are interested in and see which you like best.
Best of luck in chosing your coach.
Lyle & Cathy
Apex 1
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:48 PM   #4

I dont believe that the Apex compares favorably to either the new Mountain Air nor the Essex at this time. Perhaps after Mr. Lee has his way with WRV things will go north. Time will tell.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:34 PM   #5

Well like I said Stretch, I only spoke of our experience. Granted my experience with Newmar was from 2002 until 2005 so I don't know the latest and greatest from Newmar. So it is from that time frame that I made the comparison against my 06 Apex. But to each his own, that's why we have several hundreds of different coaches out there.

Lyle
Lyle & Cathy
Apex 1
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:23 PM   #6

I would think that if your only complaint with the Alpine is the lack of molding over the refrigerator I am certain that they would be more than willing to accomodate you with additional molding.

You might want to ask the other manufacturers if they will put a Peak chassis under their coach so it would handle like an Alpine.

Alpine builds app. 200 coaches per year.

I would think that picking a coach is really a personal thing. Drive them each and go from there. Comfort in driving has and always will be my number 1 priority.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I am the third owner of a '98 Alpine coach. Both previous owners loved the coach but life circumstances forced sale. The Peak chasis makes the Alpine one of the most enjoyable coaches there is for driving. I've had very few problems with this coach in the two years I had it and most of those I brought on myself. Western RV does an excellent job with matching engines to power needs so there is no problem with pulling mountain passes. As Ted III notes, drive all of your likely candidates and then decide.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:04 AM   #8

We tested everything from Beaver to Winebago during our search for a coach that fit our needs. There is no perfect coach, and probably no perfect coach owner, sorry Lowell. None that we tested drove and handled like an Alpine and few had a mid door which we required. No our Alpine isn't perfect, but for us it is as close as we can get in our price range.

Sully
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:03 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sully:
We tested everything from Beaver to Winebago during our search for a coach that fit our needs. There is no perfect coach, and probably no perfect coach owner, sorry Lowell. None that we tested drove and handled like an Alpine and few had a mid door which we required. No our Alpine isn't perfect, but for us it is as close as we can get in our price range.

Sully </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second all that Sully said!
Some may not see the importance of Driveability but we all are in this for enjoyment and how a coach handles is one of the most important factors of traveling and feeling rested instead of frazzeled.
Mid doors are also important to enjoyment with a homey feeling to the coach.
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote