Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:02 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club

I thought I read that you purchased a '05 Alpine in February. ??

Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2005, 08:11 AM   #16
Tom and Patty,
a very long story..... I was to pick up the Alpine Feb. 11th. It is now April 23, and I am still" picking it up".
A combination of me saying "put me at the end of the line" {Place was overrun, and the Good service manager needed a break} Plus I am never in a rush....{even when I should be............}
Been here ....long enough, I guess.
During the 5-7 week, I was told by the GM {who will remain nameless......} that they wanted all their customers happy.Noted that there was numerious problems to fix and much time passage........ Then Sales toured me through many different coaches and said they seen no problem in a switch if I wanted to do..... so I noticed to Monterey was really nice "Bigtime"
on the inside. It just has a better floor plan{for me} the setup and the wood quality and structure is Way better.I can move around the Kitchen table and do not bump my head.
I was ready to make the switch 100%.........before the test rides..... Which was no even close..... The ALPINE rode circles around the Beaver. Was really a shocker for me.Now I am really in a tough situation on what to do??????

Since I am a house builder/renovator { I work with Hardwood,Oak/Maple/Ash/Birch/Cedar/ and some other soft woods, we have machines and tongue and goove the walls with inch thick,} No drywall... So I can make changes myself. {Probably the very best comment I received about my dilema was from Dave Fernandez, who said "customizing" the Alpine would be the thing to do. I do intend to do just that, to a certain degree.
The whole decision was moot anyway. I realized the Msrp of the alpine was $315 and the Monterey was $294...
But the wonderful Manager informed me that the customer's "Happiness" comes with a Price $..............................MOre ofcourse....even for less.....???
Informing him of the MSRP values involked a "different pricing structure" comment.........I have not spoke to him since.........He did mention after he seen that he "just burned a bridge" that he would make it his personal responsibility to see that I was taken care of... That was about 4 weeks ago or more maybe less...actually, i'm not really not sure anymore......have not seen him since......Probably concerned about his happy customers...........
I'm not going to try and figure how long I have been here, but I will give the Tech and service department 100% and the manager a ZERO.
They really go over these coaches something fierce.
I will now give you a list of what was wrong with my Alpine.
First of all I was to pick it up on Feb. 11, {Told it was ready} Was shipped from washington to sister dealer in Arizona. Got here, Coach all apart on the inside. It had also damage to both pocket and bedroom doors. Apparantly they were not locked down in transite. The bedroom door was on the bed, the cover of the steering shaft and saw dust, electical tape, ect everywhere.

One advantage when you spend alot of time in one place is you check out your coach very thoroughly.

Hydraulic lines {2} on slider and lift/leveler had to be replaced as they where leaking and appeared somewhat deformed{factory defect} when removed.
Slider Track and front pocket door and bedroom track damagaged in shipment.
Hot and cold reversed on bathroom sink.
Stairwell rubber steps unglued and loose.{moving around}
Corian on passenger front slider broken.
Drawer under refrigerator,rail replacement. Then it "feel off" again, { very poorly designed rails which plastic extentions}Totally replaced then with real rails. {The bottom of this drawer is woefully inadequate and I will need to "thicken up" the "paper thin Drawer bottom as in many of the bottoms of drawers, especially the bigger ones. Simply and totally lacking here.
Both the front cap and rear end cap had leaks apond arrival and were repaired before I arrived. {Has been fine since}
Fuel Gauge was replaced.{In transport was reported that bad reading were occuring}Bigger unit replaced it. Bigger float.
Tv remote missing}
Chip in Kitchen table and the mounting was cracked with stripped screw.
No water filter. Was missing.....
2 wood bolts holding one side of sofa were stripped out and holding nothing.
Toilet needed toilet flange replacement.{would not hold water}
washer/dryer continues to pump water on rinse cycle
Awning strap tore off
Coaxial connection never made in Basement outlet
infa red was missing front tv
also back tv remote will not work the back infa-red for direct tv sat.
2nd set of keys
Drawer under bed needed a complete realigning.Would open half way into the floor and no latching capability [ I reconstucted this myself}Using appropriate wood and bracing...........You simply CANNOT drive nails into the side of plywood !!!The entire situation under the bed was very troubling. They had misaligned the driver bedroom slider. It was not square to the coach and when fully in one bottom side was about 6-7 inches from the wall. Adjusting the lock nut assembly we cranked the slder adjustment nut to the very -very end. It was still about a inch and a half from the wall. The aluminum channel they were using had a chunck of it cut out to compensate for the alignment problems they were apparantly having when the wanted to attach that slider.This will be a future factory thing.......
Front dash velcro connections will not hold as the center section bows out.
Carpet not stapled down near kitchen table.
Many wood screws are stripped out and cabinet door covers are loose.{I do not believe they are piloting{drilling a small hole with a drill bit BEFORE they drill in the wood screw.
Patch hole under front generator slide. Huge hole under center of dash floor. {Hello rodents}Overkill hole for some tubing, not filled in.
Rubber molding torn on outside rear driver side slider, about 5".
Coaxial cable setup was incorrect and had to be rewired.
The cermanic floor is a disgrace as most all grout joints were seperated from the tile.The tiles are also cracking and it leads me to believe the sub flooring is probably inferior and the grout was never mixed with a compound that makes it adhere to the ceramic tiles.
This indeed is another factory fix. I will probably buy my own tiles as I feel these are very poor quality ceramic tiles.If the factory refuses to use mine.... I probably will have to do this myself or at least have them prep the surface by removing the original ceramic floor.
Rubber strips missing front screen door.
Good sized key scratch front door-3m strip missing here.
A number of wood buttoms have fallen out, appears they were never glued.
Battery acid reserve empty
Battery fill system not working- wrong float system installed on 2400 series batteries, many dry cells, many damaged batteries.2200 series float system installed on 2400.
Antenna on roof loose.
Bedroom air condition rattles.
Leak in 2nd bath sink line- a small screw placed in a position to pin some water tubing against the underside of the vanity had rubbed a small pin hole in the water line.

This is only a partial list as 18 other problems confronted the tech that were fixed before I got here Feb 11. Many were small problems.

There is a few other things fixed in the beginning that I did not record either.

So, besides the factory fixes I will need, I am only waiting on batteries and the 2400 series battery fill system harness.

Hopefully I will be outta here next week !

Wingding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:45 AM   #17
Wingding, I wish I had your patients, sounds like when you hit the road the coach SB close to perfection.

I sure would like to be a mouse in the corner when Audrey and John do their PDI. They have really done their homework.

Congratulation and good luck to both of you
Wayne & Kathy
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:35 AM   #18
Well if we see a mouse in the corner during our PDI we'll know who it is!

Seriously though, we are at a huge disadvantage because we have never owned a motorhome before, plus our dealer is not as experienced with Alpine as they are with some other brands. We have read some of the manuals for the most critical systems already (most of them are available on-line) - so that should help.

We're just trying to go in with our eyes open and try to catch what we can. Gonna make darn sure all the slides are operating well. Of course there is an endless list of other things too. We are using this checklist as our over all guide: Gary Belonga's Pre-Acceptance Checklist

Here is another one that is super comprehensive where someone spends two nights at the factory. We won't be doing this whole thing before accepting the coach, but we will probably go through most of it all during our shakedown couple of days.Bob Gummersal's Factory Pick-up Inspection

And of course we have the Alpine specific lists that you folks kindly supplied us on another thread.

Please wish us luck!

Audrey (who is spending the day re-reading PDI checklists)

36ft 2006 Alpine Coach FDDS
Audrey & John is offline   Reply With Quote