Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2019, 06:40 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Alternator

I have a 2003 Alpine coach 40 FDTS
We were coming back from LA and coming over the grapevine I noticed
that my volt meter was dropping in voltage. After we got out of the grapevine i lost my alternator, i could not shift down due to all my power was gone, and also had no power from the motor.
Does any body have a way to bypass this so if this happens again won't be a issue.
Thank You
Mike
CityElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2019, 07:00 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Run the Generator and see if it charges the Batteries !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #3

Run the generator and connect the battery banks by depressing the boost switch. I use a beer cap to keep the switch engaged. Technically you can run indefinitely this way if you had to.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:59 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Run the Generator and see if it charges the Batteries !
I had my generator running and It was charging the batteries
But when the alternator went out i still had no power
And my shifter was out
CityElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:21 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I have run 100+ miles with no alternator, generator running for battery charge, and a jumper cable between the positive posts of chassis and house batteries.

Not ideal, but it works.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:58 AM   #6

I ran from florida to Ohio with no Alternator and the generator running a few years ago.
I ordered a new alternator the day I left and had it delivered to meet us at our spot in Ohio.

I learned years ago that tying battery banks together can be advantageous.
A $7.00 battery switch gives me an easy option.

When parked for long term to charge both house and chassis batteries for example.

Or if I have an alternator issue.

I now carry an extra, rebuilt with pully.

Regardless

( You have to have power to your wires that feed your ecm s and transmission. )

Those wires have fuses on both ends also.[ATTACH]231038
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181021_140034.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	231038  
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:20 AM   #7
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityElectric View Post
I had my generator running and It was charging the batteries
But when the alternator went out i still had no power
And my shifter was out

Did you prop the aux start switch as suggested? On many systems the combining circuit is defeated if it senses the alternator is running. Of course yours was not functioning but it could have still been sending out enough signal to defeat the combining function.
In worst case you can use a jumper cable if the batteries are in the same compartment. Extreme care of course to prevent any shorts.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:33 AM   #8

...all are interesting input but none are from Alpine owners so they are not familiar with your 2003. Generally speaking, running the generator is the key--as long as yr alternator didn't freeze and throw the belt, you are good to go. The challenge on your 2003 is that the boost switch is momentary, so you would have to hold it down for continuous boost. Also, on the 2003, the battery banks are tied together with an echo charger, which has only modest capacity to charge. Solution is to use jumper cables or re-cable existing cables to tie the house bats that are being recharged by the generator [thru the inverter/charger] to the chassis bats that are not being charged. Some have expressed concern about using std jumper cables as they could become disconnected while driving--perhaps but not likely.
Tip--since the bat banks are on a common ground, you can use both cables on the jumper cable set to connect to the positive posts--provides more amp flow.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:52 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityElectric View Post
I have a 2003 Alpine coach 40 FDTS
We were coming back from LA and coming over the grapevine I noticed
that my volt meter was dropping in voltage. After we got out of the grapevine i lost my alternator, i could not shift down due to all my power was gone, and also had no power from the motor.
Does any body have a way to bypass this so if this happens again won't be a issue.
Thank You
Mike
Mike, I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum and Alpine ownership, you will find LOTS of assistance here.

As "Old Scout" said, be careful who you listen to, many things on Alpines are unique, some are not, so be careful of what you get from SOB's (Some Other Brand) that information could lead you astray. You have a coach that does not use a Vansco so if you have electrical problems be careful even of Alpine owners. To conserve weight on our coaches in 2004 Western changed over to an electrical bus system (Vansco), that eliminated several hundred pounds of wire. Also be aware that that Western had a habit of using up stock before something new was implemented so nothing is straight forward. For example the specs for 2005 state it has a 115 gallon fuel tank, but my '05 was early production and it has a 100 gallon tank. It is nothing to worry about if I ran a full tank dry. I still have over a 800 mile range, much more than I drive in one day.

So this is just a few things about Alpines that should help you get to know your new coach.

BTW - IIRC "Old Scout has an '03, so he is a VERY good source for your coach.

You should consider attending the annual Desert Rat Rally held in Quartzsite, AZ each January, besides meting other Alpine owners there is a technical session to assist you with any questions you might have about you coach. If you are interested see the post on this forum about the rally.

Join FMCA (Family Motorcoach Association), ACA (Alpine Coach Association) and the SoCal chapter. PM me or Old Scout for more info. Also go to the User CP and add a signature block that includes the year, make, model and Floor Plan of your coach, 2003, WRV, Alpine, 40', FDTS, etc.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:18 AM   #10

The momentary Boost button activates a coil on a big fat solenoid in the battery compartment to connect both battery banks. If you need to connect both battery brakes for an extended period, a #18 jumper with alligator clips can be used to either energize or ground (not sure which way the logic works, see Test below) the solenoid for an extended period so you don't need jumper cables.

Test: @ the solenoid, w/KeyON, check to see if solenoid cable has Batt+ & Ground at the small white & black wires. Whichever is active is continous anytime coach is running, and the switched leg to the Boat button is the other wire. The other white is the one you jump. I.e. if Batt+ is present on the white wire then Ground will be inactive till Most is pushed; if Ground is present all day on the black wire then Boost supplies Batt+ to the coil. Whichever is the switched side is the side for the alligator clipped jumper. Just for safety, I'd put a low amp fuse inline on the jumper.

Now you can run across these great United States on the generator only.

A note on batteries vs alternators- if your batteries are dying the alternator is taxed to keep them up & that may be what kills your alternator (or starter). Keeping good quality start batteries at all times helps protect the alternator & the starter. If your batteries are bad enough you may have goofy electrical problems even running the gen, although the gen/ charger trick should still work to keep you moving despite those intermittent gremlins
Old 01-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Battery Isolator

I purchased a 2005 36' a year ago after being out of MH's for a year. This is the 5th Alpine I have owned over the years. I noticed this one will not keep the chassis batteries charged when parked for extended time when plugged into land power. Upon inspecting I could not find a battery isolator. All of my previous rigs had one. I suspect there was one once but not now.

Accordingly I made a jumper cable using a #10 wire and a big 30 amp 600 volt rectifier to route power from the house batteries to the chassis batteries (when the house batteries are being charged it also charges the chassis as they will equalize). It worked fine but will be replaced with a isolator soon. Does anyone know what brand of isolator Alpine used as OEM or is there one that is recommended.

Thanks
Jim
Hartsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I had my alternator freeze up and catch fire while on a trip in Montana about 5 years ago. I was warned of the problem because I put a fire alarm in the bedroom and it detected the smoke. After pulling over I was able put out the fire quickly without any further damage. The alternator was frozen, so I had to change the alternator where it sat. Just a suggestion. Put a smoke detector in the bedroom, it might just save you and your coach.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsnet View Post
I purchased a 2005 36' a year ago after being out of MH's for a year. This is the 5th Alpine I have owned over the years. I noticed this one will not keep the chassis batteries charged when parked for extended time when plugged into land power. Upon inspecting I could not find a battery isolator. All of my previous rigs had one. I suspect there was one once but not now.

Accordingly I made a jumper cable using a #10 wire and a big 30 amp 600 volt rectifier to route power from the house batteries to the chassis batteries (when the house batteries are being charged it also charges the chassis as they will equalize). It worked fine but will be replaced with a isolator soon. Does anyone know what brand of isolator Alpine used as OEM or is there one that is recommended.

Thanks
Jim
Hartsnet,

I'm sure someone will be able to give you more detail but here is a short answer.

I am assuming yours like mine is a Vansco system. The Vansco controls a Trombetta
solenoid, there is no isolator. The solenoid is in the black box on the back wall of the battery bay. The Vansco logic controls the batter charge function.
These solenoids are use by many manufacturers are common to burn the contacts.

I bought my coach about the same time you did, shortly after my first shack down trip mine also quit charging the coach batteries on shore power.

The solenoid is also used for the emergency start function and was found to be passing voltage through it, but NO amperage. It wouldn't light a test light even though the volt meter said it was working.
I replaced the solenoid and problem fixed.

We've talked before, feel free to contact me if you need me to explain better for you.

This is where I would start looking...

Not the best picture, but this is the one I took out.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180310_175219864.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	231170
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Angelo, good to hear from you again.

My cross over solenoid works fine and did allow me to start the engine when the chassis batteries wouldn't. So guess I will continue checking when weather allows. I did find a marine/RV isolator for 2 battery banks. I also just found a bad connection in the wire going the echo charger module. More later.

Jim
Hartsnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator