Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #15
Mike you bring up a good point, if everyone would post in a signature the year and model of their coach it it very helpful.

Nick and Ramona
Huntington Beach, CA
2005 Alpine Mid Door
Nick Escamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2008, 04:14 AM   #16
Just took mine to Cummins for several issues
1. Alternator low voltage. Cause is the Xantrex temperature sensor will not work under high temperature conditions causing charging issues. The chassis batteries will go dead and the onboard charger will not charge them. This causes the alternator to overwork and fail. I'm going to install and Echo charger to solve the issue.
2. FMI code 73 on Silverleaf says Aux water pump pressr/volt. Actually is failure of high lift pump for fuel. If not fixed will eventually cause main fuel pump to fail. Cause is algae in the fuel or blockage. Change your filters. (maybe other causes also)

06 Apex

midflajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:51 AM   #17
Jim- might be easier to move Xantrex temp sensor to a more temp neutral place till Xantrex figures this out. If it is accurately diagnosed, that's a bug that will need a Xantrex fix. Alternatively you may be able to reset Xantrex parameters (or they may) to ignore the temp sensor. Less brain damage than a new inverter IMO.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #18
Will call Xantrex, thanks for your help

06 Apex
midflajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #19
Unfortunately you guys are getting the smoke and mirrors routine from the service facility. The alternators are under sized on the Apex. The charger portion of the inverter has nothing to do with the failures. When the VMM receives the 13 volts it needs to power the interconnect solenoid this throws a major load on the alternator. If the house batteries are down this will cause a cycle effect with the solenoid opening and closing until both battery banks equalize. This condition will stress the alternator and cause premature failure. Adding an electronic isolator to the alternator charging curcuit will stop the cycling and prolong the life of the alternator. The sense wire for chassis voltage must be removed from the VMM when adding the isolator or nothing is accomplished.
Fredie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:07 PM   #20

Your assessment of the alternator being undersized is exactly correct. I even have this problem on my 2006 Alpine Coach Limited, due to the use of AGM house batteries. The AGM house batteries (eight 6 volt batteries) have much lower internal resistance than the standard wet-cell batteries, resulting in a large current draw. As a result when the AGM batteries are significantly discharged and the Vansco VMM tries to connect the chassis and house batteries with the interconnect solenoid, the alternator immediately drops from about 13.9-14.0 volts to about 11.9 volts. Since the 11.9 volts is below the threshold for the VMM, it then disconnects the solenoid, resulting in the cycling that you refer to.

Although I had this problem from day one in picking the coach up at the factory, they never did correctly diagnose the problem, even though they had me take it to 4 differently service centers for diagnosis and repair. I finally deduced what was happening just a few months ago, just by thinking about the electrical properties of what I was observing and knowing about the large current draw of the AGM batteries.

My workaround, is to run the generator after the house batteries are low, before starting the coach, so that the alternator does not have such a load on it trying to charge the heavily discharged house batteries and the chassis batteries.

However, I still have no permanent solution other than installing a 200 Amp alternator. What are the details of the isolator and sense wire removal for chassis voltage?
Dale & Karin
2006 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDTS
Watercolor Artist: http://www.cindydaunis.com/
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #21
Unfortunatly I do not have the wiring diagram to the VMM to correctly identify the sense wire. The isolator is easily obtained at an automotive electrical supply store. The wiring diagram that comes with the isolator can be used for the alternator circuit. When the correct sense wire is removed from the VMM the output 19 LED will never come on with just the engine running. The APEX coaches that have isolator installed will have the sense wire cut and taped off. One of the APEX owners should be able to identify the correct wire.

Fredie is offline   Reply With Quote