Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #1

Alternator Help

Had alternator replaced on the road. Shop took old one off and put new one on. There were 3 wires on it. Positive, Negative, and one smaller red wire. When they hooked everything back up, the coach would not start. They played with it for awhile and unhooked the one smaller red wire and it started. The volt gauge however was only showing 13 volts (it use to read 13.8). He checked the charging and said its charging fine but didn't know why the volt gauge was now off.

4 months later the alternator goes out again. This time I need to make sure they put the correct one back on and works like the original did.

Problem is I don't have the serial number for the original alternator and the shop says they need it or they will just have to replace it with the same on and it may not be right.

Anybody have any idea of the original serial number for this?

1999 Alpine 36 SDS 330 Cummins.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
The original alternator on the Alpine should be a Leece Neville Model A0012824LC 160 amp, 14 volt.

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #3

send your email address to gatorv@hotmail and I'll send you a picture of my 2000 alt if that would help you? My Apline was built in 1999.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Here is a picture of my alternator. This should help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1410890351469.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	73985  
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #5

Dave's picture is just like mine.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Unfortunately, that was an expensive lesson to learn.

I have posted in many Alternator threads recommending to others that it is far better and less expensive to have your existing alternator rebuilt by a reputable rebuild shop than it is to replace with new. 99.9% of the time the replacement that ends up installed is not the exact replacement and will not work correctly without major modifications.

Hopefully someone will chime in that has the same identical alternator and can help you out.

I have had my alternator rebuilt twice now, once in California and once in the Adirondacks of upstate NY. Both times the coast was under $200.

Unless the bearings go completely out on an alternator you can drive hundreds of miles until you can find a reputable rebuild shop by installing a short 6 gauge jumper between the two sides of your Battery Isolator Relay. Then run your on-board generator to keep the chassis battery charged until you are able to get the alternator fixed. Just don't try to drive at night as the headlights will draw too much from the battery.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #7

That should be enough for me to figure this out. I Hope!!
Old 09-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #8

You may want to check previous threads on this, particularly this one. Don't forget the standard alternator has to be modified for the Duvac system. If you don't know what this is check this thread .
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #9

Thanks Algoma! I didn't see anything above about the Duvac. Can you shed some more light on that?
Old 09-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #10

There should be a label on the original alternator that says "modified for use with duvac system, negative ground only. see tech. service letter no. 45".
The modification enables the alternator to be activated when a diode isolator block is used, as the early Alpines did. Later Alpines used a combining relay and the modification was not needed. If you read the threads carefully you will see there are alternatives to having the alternator modified.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:52 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Do a search on "Alternator Change out" I posted a long story with pictures on how I did mine. I explained about the wires on the back, try to find it. If not, I can e-mail you the MS Word Version I have on my PC. You also might check the Alpine Coach Association technical library, as I sent my narrative to the administrator of that and he was going to post the information on it. I hope he did, took about 4 hours, since we took our time. Send me PM with an e-mail address, if you cannot find it. NOTE: I changed mine in 2010, and it's never given me a moment of trouble. I don't like rebuilt parts, unless I know the shop, half the time they just put in new bearings, and call it good, many parts now are coming in rebuilt from China, where quality is number 99998. The difference between a rebuilt one, and a new one is not worth the problems if, once you got it all back together, it don't work. A new one has a warranty usually for two years, and like I said, it's been 4 years and not a worry from my DR.

Tags
alternator