Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
Alternator question on 2001 Alpine

Got back from a long trip recently, started hearing a sound like crickets from engine compartment. Isolated sound coming from the alternator. took off the serpentine belt and turned pulley by hand and found slight resistance when turning. started engine and crickets gone. Alternator charges fine, so figured bearing starting to go bad. question I have is when I took alternator off, I found the red positive cable connected to the post marked negative. On the Alternator there is a sticker marked " modified for use with duvac system, negative ground only. see tech. service letter no. 45. I have ordered a new one from local NAPA store. Unsure what duvac system is and if this is why red cable hooked to neg terminal?

This coach is new to me, but we just put 3200 miles on it and no issues. charging was good, want to replace alternator but don't want to connect wrong. Looks like this alternator is original equipment for coach. Napa is going to ask about alternator , to make sure we get the same one that is modified for Duvac system. I was hoping someone can fill me in on what is going on with this hook-up. thanks Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	66892   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	66893  

4day is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #2

I believe the Duvac system uses an external regulator instead of the built-in one on normal alternators. I don't know if your coach is unique but I haven't heard of anyone else having this system. Here is a link to a description of how one is modified Prestolite - Leece Neville

John and Mary Knight
2015 Ventana 4311, 2015 Cadillac SRX
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
After taking a closer look, and lining the alternator up in it's bracket again the positive was on the right post. kinda feel like a dumb a--. still would like to know about the duvac system, and if a new one ordered will come with the modification. thanks again Bob
4day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
You can do a "search" on this forum but I think most Alpines [my 03] have a "duvac" alternator--perhaps later models did not. Anyway, I use to think the duvac system was a black box hidden somewhere on the coach that sensed 12v current and did something to the alternator based on some set parameters--apparently not. From what I can learn, the duvac is simply a dedicated line to one or both battery banks that the duvac equipped alternator uses to manage battery charging. Not sure how it does what it [perhaps governs alternator output based on battery charge level] but you re-connect the wires as you found them and everything works......
Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
The duvac system I believe allows the alternator to be used with an external diode based battery isolator. The diode isolator blocks battery current flowing into the alternator. Normal alternators need battery current to excite the field winding to start the alternator generating power. The duvac enables the alternator to start without battery current. I replaced my Leece-Neville ducac alternator with a Delco 28si alternator (see http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/how-to-replace-stock-alternator-with-delco-28si-195836.html ) and the delco unit would not self start. I solved the problem by installing a new battery isolator with an “alternator excite” function. Total cost was still less than a new OEM Leece-Neville and now I have a standard alternator. You can also switch to a relay based isolator to solve the problem.
1999 Alpine Coach
Alpine Dave is offline   Reply With Quote