Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #1

Smile Alternator replacement older Alpines

Searched Irv2 & the Technical Library for threads & found nothing on Alternators for older coaches. As we were trying to leave for home at our last park after the SOCAL Gold Country Rally, I had to use the booster to start the Coach, It ran rough & the transmission did not seem to shift correctly.
You gearheads know, but I did not, that those are symptoms of a VERY dead battery & an alternator that is not alternating. This situation conjured up extremely expensive transmission & engine repair bills in my mind, especially since I had had the chassis batteries replaced the month before. (The Techs at the shop where I've been getting service for the last 10 years will testify, under oath, that the alternator checked out before & after the battery installation).
We were towed to United Truck Centers 13101 Foothill Blvd Sylmar, Ca., 818-837-4595. They are an authorized Allison & Cummins shop & they were very knowledgeable, courteous and responsive!!!
The point of this autobiography is, that Pete the service manager determined that these are not "off the shelf" Alternators, but are "Leece Neville-Duvac negative ground system" part # 2824 LC. Thus, a special order & more expensive. This seems to have solved all the perceived problems and we are living happily ever after.

MAC&ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Mac,

I can't tell you anything about the alternator, but I have some information that sounds like it is too late to help you. On a non-Vansco coach, once the engine is started, leave the generator running with the charger set to max. Then wedge something under the 30sec boost switch. This will keep the battery bank jumper solenoid engaged and the generator/charger will keep the chassis batteries charged to get you down the road. I got an old Sports Coach from Seattle to Oxnard this way many years ago.

On a Vansco model coach, once the engine is started, just keep the generator running and the Vansco will keep the 2 banks jumped for the same temp solution.

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #3

Thanks Dale, sounds like a good Plan! We were 170 miles from home, would you predict any electrical damage going that far or just to the nearest shop?
Old 06-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Mac,

If the solenoid used on the early coaches is not a constant duty unit, it might need replacing after an extended use. I doubt that it would be a problem and the cost of a replacement would be small. As to distance to use, as I stated above, I got an old Sports Coach from Seattle to Oxnard this way many years ago, that is abut 1200 mi.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #5

Thanks again, Dale,
As a "feel good" for Alpine owners I should mention that after 10 years and 74000 miles, this was our 1st "trip altering" mechanical incident!!

I sincerely hope the Goddess of RVing doesn't consider this boasting and wreak punishment on us!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #6

Dale, as an alternate move the large battery cable to the other side of the solenoid which would keep any voltage off the coil and preclude burning it out.

On an related subject: I find that after driving most of the day the engine batteries are charged up but the coach batteries need to be charged with the Onan Generator. the 2003 coach does have the echo charger and is properly wired per previous emails. Do you have any fix for this? Mike.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I'Mike,

I suggested the switch method, as I do not like to have anyone who in not very familiar with working on 12 volt systems, changing battery cables. A short to ground with a hot cable can be Catastrophic. This is true with any battery, but particularly so with batteries in a bank. A bank of batteries has a very large amount of amps available.

The EC only works to charge the chassis batteries, while charging the the house batteries. The House batteries are charged via the battery isolator. It basically has 2 HD diodes in it, if one is bad you will have the problem you describe. To test it, run the engine fast enough to produce about 14 volts on the chassis batteries, then check the voltage at the house bank, it should be at least about 13 volts. The 2 voltages won't match If the house bank is very discharged, the voltage will probably be quite a bit lower than the chassis batteries, but should be in the 13 to 14 volt range. If the house bank is always much lower than the chassis, while charging from the engine, the isolator is probably bad.

E-Mike may have a dual voltmeter available, for sale, at some point in time. This would be a good way to watch for problems like this. It would also be good to make sure your solenoid is OK in the Vansco coaches.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Mac&Anne,

Just for future reference, since it appears you are in Southern California.

I had a 2006 Apex and the alternator went out in So. Cal. There is a large alternator repair place in East L.A, I'm afraid I don't remember the name but they are on Fourth St. Very near the big old Sears. I took my dead alternator to them, went to lunch, came back and picked up the new one. Very nice people and easy to deal with.
big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #9

Dale can you PM me with your Phone Number for a private conversation and when you would be available. TNX I'Mike.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Smile

For Information Only

I tried to find the alternator shop that Jim mentioned in ELA and I am still looking. I did find Quality Power, 31510 Yucaipa Blvd, Yucaipa CA, 909-794-1600 http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/. I contacted them and they Rebuild Alternators, Starters etc. They can also get new Alternators. They said both the New and Rebuilt have a 1 year warranty. They said they use a larger rectifier and regulator in the remanufactured alternators than new ones have. They have the remanufactured in stock. Per there web site the cost for the Leece Neville, Duvac 2824 LC 160 amp remanufactured Alternator is $225.00. To upgrade to a 200 amp remanufactured Alternator would be $255.00. A new Alternator who cost an additional $50-$75 over a remanufactured and would have to be ordered as they do not carry new ones in stock. They also ship around the world.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:36 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
We used Dynatron to replace our Alternator. They are in Long Beach at 1492 Oregon Ave, phone 562-432-0925.

We opted to buy a Delco Remy 200 amp but you can get Leece Neville from them also. We also had them rebuild our Starting Motor and replace the solenoid that had corroded from getting wet.

If anyone is interested - we have a brand new Leece Neville 160 amp (OEM) we will sell for $225. We carried it for a spare for 6 months.
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #12

Since we have traded in our Alpine and all of the receipts went with it, I don't have the name of the place in ELA but I was referred to them by Leece-Neville. I think if you Google them you might find the place I was talking about.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #13

I just Googled it for you.

Crain Auto Electric
950 S. Boyle Ave.
Los Angeles, CA. 90023
213-268-0237