Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #1

Ice maker and door water not working. Amana service reps A&E Appliance (San Diego area) came out diagnosed bad controll modual and valve Ordered part $58. Today we tried to install: they do not do any screww or bolt removal so after seeing the 4 lag bolts they left. We also measured the debth of ref and it appears we have 3/4 of an inch in which to pivot the beast.
Having checked the library here I see some brave souls have mentioned trying removing the ref.. If I remove the four lag bolts how in the world do you get the ref back into place and bolt it down?? Has anyone had Cummins Coach Care or anybody else in the San Diego area work on removing and repairing the Amana?

05 FDQS Laminet floor

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #2

Ice maker and door water not working. Amana service reps A&E Appliance (San Diego area) came out diagnosed bad controll modual and valve Ordered part $58. Today we tried to install: they do not do any screww or bolt removal so after seeing the 4 lag bolts they left. We also measured the debth of ref and it appears we have 3/4 of an inch in which to pivot the beast.
Having checked the library here I see some brave souls have mentioned trying removing the ref.. If I remove the four lag bolts how in the world do you get the ref back into place and bolt it down?? Has anyone had Cummins Coach Care or anybody else in the San Diego area work on removing and repairing the Amana?

05 FDQS Laminet floor

Old 10-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #3

Hi clyde
Have had mine out twice due to leaking water feed line. Easy just remove bolts and pull out. holes for bolts are about an inch in diamerer so no problem bolting up again. Good luck Larry
Old 10-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Same here, in, out, easy enough. My waterline cracked, too.

Just look under the thing with a flashlight first, so you can see where the hooks grab ahold of the framework. You'll just need to wiggle it out and then wiggle it in. It's on rollers, but there is still a little friction.

This is also a good time to vacuum the underside and behind.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:21 AM   #5

Had the same problem. It was the circuit board located behind the ice water panel. You have to take off the plastic cover to get to the circuit board, it seems that a little resistor melted. Replaced it with a new board and it works fine. Our person then took the old board and replaced just the burned out part, we now have a spare, just in case. We did not have to move the ref out for that repair. We did move it later and it to has 4 bolts holding it down, it was done at Onan Indiana when we had our inverter replaced, (that`s another story) no problem at all moving it forward and cleaning behind it.

"05" 40ft FDTS
cschemanske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:19 AM   #6

If this is a do it yourself effort--you may find it a bit hard to get the fridg out on your own. The Amana sits on wheels which is a good thing but they tend to set/get caught in the holes where the 4 bolts go through in the sub-floor. It often requires a good push/pull to get them across the holes. Also, these wheels are adjustable [up/down--adjustment bolt heads on front of fridg]. You may have to adjust the wheels to allow the fridg to roll from the sub-floor up on to the floor tile [otherwise, top of fridg maynot clear cabinet].
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #7

also, if you have one of the earlier square wave inverters it WILL eventually cause problems with the solid state stuff like the ice maker electronics. I replaced the ice maker twice before changing the inverter to the more modern sine wave inverter (which is exactly like your home current. never had a problem since..........
Old 10-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Skyguy62 - I had the same problem with our Amana residential refer, replaced the control board twice before I called WRV, they sent me a "modified" board and we have not had a problem since. The modification was replacing R1 with what looks like a 25 watt ceramic resistor. Unfortunately we can not get anymore information from them, but since the replacement I have not had a problem, it was replaced about a year ago, we do not have the "tru-sine" inverter and were just dry camping for 4 days without problems. Another piece of advice, get the maintenance contract from A&E, we also had our sealed unit replaced, the Amana warranty is for 5 years, but only covers parts, you are on the hook for the labor, it took the tech 4 hours, that certainly paid my annual cost!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Also, the removal and reinstall of the refer is easy, take out the 4 bolts, it rolls out. When you push it back watch where the water line goes, I did not and did not know I had pushed the refer over the water line and it broke a week later. When I replaced it I tacked it to the wall so it can not get rolled over again. Hint - I used a mirror to be sure I had the refer in place and the bolt holes lined up.

I removed the refer so A&E could replace the sealed unit, they would not take it out. I also removed the doors, giving a few more inches of clearance. Watch the door knobs on the pantry, they will damage the refer doors if you are not careful (and don't remove them first).
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Stretch is right. Replace the inverter if it isn't an RS2000 or RS3000. Replacing mine cured problems with the TV, convection/microwave, reefer, etc. It's also better on the stereo, computers, electronic gadgets, etc. Among other things, a problem with my reefer's water/ice center light blinking on and off, periodically, went away immediately.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #11

Thank you all for the tips. I do have the pro-sine inverter but I will keep in mind the control panel if the ice/water valve doesn't solve the problem. Since A&E wouldn't move the ref I have a versatile mobile repairman "West Wind RV" coming out Thursday to help remove the unit and install the new valve.
Someday maybe I'll find competence, naw I always flew never fixed the jets, I would just be kidding myself.