Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:38 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
The lock/unlock button for the water and ice maker will not function.

Have called AMANA customer support for help. They say they are not trained to trouble shoot. Will, need to call for service.

Has any one had this problem? Were you able to fix it with out a service call?

1peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2007, 07:38 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
The lock/unlock button for the water and ice maker will not function.

Have called AMANA customer support for help. They say they are not trained to trouble shoot. Will, need to call for service.

Has any one had this problem? Were you able to fix it with out a service call?

Old 12-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
1Peddler

A couple of questions:

What year coach do you have?
Do you have lights on the refrigerator door?

There have been several postings in the past, including by me, of problems with the Amana Refrigerator running on the inverter. I have had Amana replace the control board in the door 3 times. The last time I called Phil Matoon at WRV and he sent me a specially modified control board. The stock board will not handle the modified sine wave from the Onan inverter so WRV beefed up some boards and has them in stock. From what I can tell this was a problem on coaches manufactured around the 2004 - 2005 time frame.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:22 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Dave,

Our coach is a 2005 40FDQS. We do have lights on the refridgerator door. The coach was built in May 2004.

From you post, it shure sounds like the problem is in the board. Thanks for the information.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
You'd be surprised by how many problems are caused by the inverters with a modified (or square) sine wave. I just replaced mine with a Xantrex RS3000, as recommended by Frank. Now my Amana's lights don't blink, the television's picture doesn't waver and shrink, the convection oven's power doesn't waver, lights don't dim, my awning relay works consistently and an annoying clicking under the coach stopped.

They ain't cheap, but I did get about 30% off online. As a side bonus, my genset will automatically start when the thermostat calls for cooling and no shore power is available, as well as when the batteries are low.

I paid about $1550 for the inverter, $150 for the AGS and $200 for the controller.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
1Peddler, sorry for the delay in the reply, I thought i had posted 1. We had a lot of problems with our Amana. Replaced the control board 3 times before I spoke to Phil Matoon. WRV has modified the board and sent me one. We replaced the control board the last time in August, it has never lasted that long before, so we are hoping that was the issue. The difference is when ours failed we had no lights.

After all the problems we had we took out a service policy from Amana, under $100 a year and seems to be worth it.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:13 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I have 8 house battery's in my 06 Apex and they only last about 8 hrs befor they are dead.One thing I was told was that WRV used to do a mod. to the board that would sense when you were pluged into shore pwr.then it shut off the defrost cycle.To save the battery life.That was on my 03 and the battery's lasted about 36 hrs.(6 battery's)On my 06 they didn't do that mod.Has anyone ever heard this?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:32 AM   #8

No but it makes sense. I was going to modify my board an never got around to it.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Well, my Amana went totally out. At first it was diagnosted as a bad compressor. So, I new compressor later, it was diagnosted as "unrepairable" by Amana. I was informed by Amana that they didn't make that model any longe, and to get anther fridge. My insurance paid for another fridge, and not realizing that WRV had more Amanas, I bought a Frigidaire. same widthm, but about 3 inches deeper. It's a 26 cu.ft. fridge/freezer and has worked great for the last 12 months. Go figure. It cost about $1000 less than an Amana.

Jim & Sandra Eddy

Douglas, GA
Old 01-17-2008, 06:45 AM   #10

The Amana in our 2003 wasnt working the day we picked up the coach--wrong answer! So the dealer arranged for Amana service/repair (a new board I assume) and we havent had a problem since; save for a small/chronic freon leak (another story--low freon causes frost build-up which probably triggers the defrost mode?).
We recently swapped out the old mod-syn wave inverter with a Xantrex 2000. Immediately found the Xantrex draws 175-200 DC watts just in "on-mode." Tried using the load sense feature on the Xantrex but eventually figured out the very small draws from "stand-by" modes on the micro wave, stereo equip, etc, causes the Xantrex load sense mode to rapidly cycle on/off. I turned off the breakers on the microwave/stereo equip (example--dry camping over night)and the Xantrex cycles perfectly on load sense as the refrig calls for power--and only draws 4-5 DC amps when cycled off.
Curious, did the guy who installed the Xantrex 3000 go with two 30 amp circuit capability or just stick with the one 30 amp?
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:57 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Old Scout,

I went with the one leg originally. After a discussion with Xantrex, I'm rewiring with the second leg so I can see it on the monitor. It will allow the unit to balance loads and still be able to charge batteries. With one leg, it merely turns the charger on/off.

However, after a HUGE ordeal. I am temporarily going to be using a RS2000 until March/April.

The Story (if you have the time):

System worked great for about a week after installation. Arrived at Death Valley and stayed at Panamint Springs Resort with shorepower (in laws demanded an umbilical cord for Christmas vacation). The resort uses a diesel generator and sends 140 volts down the line. Since my RV Surge Guard won't allow it into the coach, I was forced to unplug and boondock.

The next day, the genset came on when the low-voltage battery trigger kicked in. It ran two hours and charged the batteries. Another hour later, it came on again, but after five minutes the circuit breaker on the genset tripped. I reset it, checked that the batteries were still okay and forgot about it.

Ten minutes later, the genset came on again for 60 seconds, then cut off. Five minutes later it restarted and I started smelling "the magic smoke". An alarm sounded and I scrambled to cut power to and from the inverter. The smell made it obvious the unit was fried. The controller read "internal failure, service required".

I was able to borrow a battery charger from the resort to keep the batteries up and I bypassed the inverter with a jumper to the inverter-controlled subpanel. I was decided to keep unplugged when not in the coach, but risked the overpower situation by bypassing the Surge Guard to supply power to the main subpanel (30 amp extension cord, directly wired). It was too cold to live through Christmas in a "giant aluminum tent". I also convinced some other coaches to run their heat-pumps to help keep the voltage down.

When I went to replace the unit, Xantrex had sent me a refurb. (After telling me it might be a couple weeks to deliver it, my demeanor convinced them to overnight it.) When I plugged it in, it would not start. After hours on the phone with Tech Support, they determined it was unusable. (Aren't refurbs bench tested?). However, no more units are available until mid-March (what???). I was able to overnight a RS2000 from Solatron (partsonline.com) and installed it today. However, the tripping genset still continues and Coach Care is trying to figure that one out still.

With luck I may be repaired by noon and able to make Quartzsite by nightfall or Saturday morning.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:09 AM   #12

TakePride--after hearing about your issues with Xantrex, I am beginning to doubt my decision to go with the RS2000. Although it is the standard solution in the new Alpines and I havent heard much about these inverters being a problem--gensets and wiring yes; inverters not so much. I replaced the old Heart (mod-sine) based on what appeared to be declining performance, a modest overheat smell, and the desire to move to a true sine wave--no more buss on AM. Havent had the opportunity to really test it out in full dry camp mode (we passed on Quartzsite). Thinking I need to simulate an overnight in front of the house and see how it works. My "discovery" on the load sense mode was a real break-through [for me] for using the RS2000 with the least amp consumption.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Old Scout,

I made a discovery on the root of my inverter problems. It seems that the over-voltage problem at Death Valley actually fried my RV Surge Guard. The Xantrex, in turn, was too sensitive to the very short time of over-exposure and fried too. That was the feedback that tripped my genset breaker.

So, I'm now on the Xantrex RS2000 and boondocking in Quartzsite. It works great! I am waiting for delivery of a new RV Surge Guard/transfer switch. I'm using a temporary, cheap suppressor and probably won't be plugging into anything except my storage electrical (a known quantity).

After looking around, I'm still convinced Xantrex is the correct product. Monaco is using a new line from Magnum or Magna (or some such) that one installer suggested as a replacement since Xantrex is out of stock on both RV inverters (and will be for quite a while). However, this RS2000 arrived and worked great.

I too, did an overnight "test" in front of the house. It passed and I left for Quartzsite on Saturday. I arrived after dark and ended up about 200 yards NE of the ACA rally. A pleasant surprise to wake up to. Boy what a site. Looks like a little over a hundred coaches, parked side-by-side. Outlying (like me) are seven other coaches within eyeshot.

To keep this post on topic.... my Amana reefer works great, no flashing lights or clicking sounds. The square (modified) sine inverter was a poor match for the Amana.