Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #1

This is minor in the scheme of things, but I broke my stove covers last July. At that time I ordered new ones. After several calls, I was told they had come in October but then were "lost," misplaced, or whatever. They were never found, so were reordered in Feb. Recently I found out the company didn't want to do "one."

I looked at the post regarding Karadon repair and one person had used epoxy. It seemed a simple fix. What kind of epoxy? I took the pieces to a cabinet shop that does Corian. They were glued together, but when the person started buffing them, they came apart.

Beverly
Buddy and Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #2

This is minor in the scheme of things, but I broke my stove covers last July. At that time I ordered new ones. After several calls, I was told they had come in October but then were "lost," misplaced, or whatever. They were never found, so were reordered in Feb. Recently I found out the company didn't want to do "one."

I looked at the post regarding Karadon repair and one person had used epoxy. It seemed a simple fix. What kind of epoxy? I took the pieces to a cabinet shop that does Corian. They were glued together, but when the person started buffing them, they came apart.

Beverly
Old 04-20-2008, 12:52 PM   #3

Beverly,

On my 2001 Alpine Coach, the stove cover broke in half when it fell to the floor. I repaired the stove cover by, not only glueing it together, but also glueing a thin piece of clear Plexiglas as backing to provide the whole thing with added strength. When I say glueing, I really used a strong plastic glue similar to epoxy. The thickness of the Plexiglas backing can be determined by how much clearance you have between the stove cover and the stove grill.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #4

Twas a time when WRV did all the Karadon fabrication in their facility. Somewhere along the line they sub'd it out to a shop, perhaps the outfit that makes Karadon, and quality fit was not as good.

Try perusing the Karadon Fabrication Manual. I don't know if they address repairs, but you can probably derive a good patch from the practices they state there. They recommend "Seam Tight" adhesive. Don't know where you get that.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Beverly,

We had a crack in our kitchen counter, over the drawers, that opened and closed with temperature and position of the slideout -- implying that there was some tension load. A local counter repairman fabricated a patch from our sink cover and glued it in place invisibly. He also put a thin (3/16 inch?) reinforcing patch of some plastic underneath. Don't know what plastic or glue he used. The repair is still sound.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
hax

Beverly you can contact the Karadon folks at 1-800-527-2366. Their Web site is info@amainindustries.com I forget the name on the chap I talk to, but he was very helpful and said that they could match most of their product. The web site also had the materials for gluing pieces together. Hope you can get it fixed. Jim

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:34 AM   #7

Thanks so much for these helpful replies. All of you are great!

Beverly