Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #1

Over heated our brakes coming down the Rocky Mtn Park in heavy traffic. Burned up the ABS and looks like the Calipers will have to be replaced also. We were able to drive home, slowly, and now have it in a shop. Waiting for him to take it apart, but wanted to be heads up on the part replacment. The owner is slow to pull it into a bay and take it apart and have to wait for replacement parts so I wondered if all our coaches have the same and where to look for the replacements 2004 38 Ft.

Thanks, John and Lana
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #2

Over heated our brakes coming down the Rocky Mtn Park in heavy traffic. Burned up the ABS and looks like the Calipers will have to be replaced also. We were able to drive home, slowly, and now have it in a shop. Waiting for him to take it apart, but wanted to be heads up on the part replacment. The owner is slow to pull it into a bay and take it apart and have to wait for replacement parts so I wondered if all our coaches have the same and where to look for the replacements 2004 38 Ft.

Thanks, John and Lana
Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #3

My only question for you is did you have your Jake Brake turned on, and on high setting? I've come down the long steep hills, and have been to Rocky Mt Park, with the Jake on and sometimes had to shift down a gear or two below 4th, but didn't get the brakes hot.

I'm just surprised the brakes would get hot if the Jake brake is working.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #4

yes, had the Jake brake working. We were in heavy stop and go traffic. We have had brake problems since we bought the coach, so I'm sure there is more to it that we could know.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hello John & Lana:

Two of my friends had there brakes over heat and it was determined that the brake fluid had not been changed as both Alpines were over 5 years old. When the brake fluid was checked the fluid was like honey. If you were to stick your finger into the fluid and pull it out it would not drip from your finger. When I checked my brake fluid it was also like honey. Your problem may be the brake fluid since most of us forget and do have the brake fluid flushed on our vehicles every few years. Old brake fluid could cause your brakes to overheat.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #6

Yes, the fluid was flushed with the last brake problem plus replace pumps.

That is another story that WRV was stumped on but helped us get it fixed.

What I really need is to know if all the calipers are the same on all our rigs and if they are hard to find.. The shop is heistant to pull it in the bay and tie up the bay if he thinks there will be a big delay in receiving the parts.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #7

John & Lana- I'd print the Bosch Hydramatic Caliper docs off the ACA tech page for the repair outfit to use in ordering parts. They should be able to determine what sort of parts delays might be encountered by calling their truck parts suppliers.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #8

It says "Meritor® high performance 4 piston/caliper hydraulic vented disc brakes in the 2004/2007 published info. So, I guess they are all the same. It does not give any info in the Bosch information. I am about to come to the conclusion nobody else has faced this nightmare of a brake problem. Must have had a real history in this coach before we bought it, even tho, they swear it was "brand new". Guess I will go to old Google to find a supplier.

thanks for the help
Old 09-12-2008, 03:01 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Cedar41,

I had brakes lock up. Both rear brakes. Replaced both calipers, discs, pads, and one ABS sensor. The parts were readily available. It was a 1-day, in and out. The brakes were the 4-piston type as well. Based upon my experience, I'd say the parts are not rare or difficult to obtain. I can't lay my hands on the bill so can't provide parts numbers.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:10 AM   #10

Ok, thanks, that is good news.