Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #1

Another dumb question.....

When we pull into a campsite, I do the following:
Put trans in neutral and set parking brake.
Press dump air to lower coach.
Lower jacks.
Extend slide out.
Then I go outside to make water/sewer/electric connections.
Then extend bedroom slideout.

I travel with the battery disconnect switch at
the 2 o'clock position.
Is this the proper procedure for setting up the coach???

Thanks,
Alex

PS: Sometimes the dump air switch doesn't respond when setting up the coach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #2

Yr process sounds fine--not sure why you wouldnt extend both slides once jacks are down. Also, you make it sound like dumping air and lower jacks is a manual process--assume 2001 has auto HWH dump/levelers [push HWH "on" button twice]. Assume the "2 o'clock" position is also the "on" position, in which case, you want both the house and the chassis bat switches in the "on" position--as not much will work in the coach [12v wise] with these switches off.
Sorry if I am misreading your question or if 2001s dont have auto dump/level function but you usually dont have to press/use the dump button to park/level coach?????

Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #3

The rear bedroom slide only deploys when coach is connected to shore power. So what you are saying is the coach will dump air automatically when the HWH auto level is pressed twice.
Drive safely,
Alex
Old 07-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Perhaps a weekend spent READING the Owner's Manuals is in order here...

I do NOT suffer from mental Illness, but rather enjoy it on a daily basis...
Old 07-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Alex, I believe that manually dumping the air bags "seems" to work when the engine is running but as soon as you release the button they will refill. The engine needs to be off to truly dump the air bags. I'm not as sure about using the automatic leveling but assume the same thing will happen.

I'm sure someone even more experienced can correct me if I'm wrong.

FWIW - I do electrical & water hookups before leveling. I like to know that the shore support is good before "setlling in". The only problem with this procedure is the possibility that you leave the compartment door up (don't ask me how I know ).
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have no idea what "The 2:00 position" is on the battery switch.

Other than using PARK instead of neutral that is very close to what I do.

As to why do the hookups before finishing extending slides.... On some coaches the water (Both fresh and waste) connections are in such a place that it's easier to hook up and extend then it is to extend, bend over to hook up, and bang your head against the bottom of the slide out when you stand up.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #7

The Alpines don't have a "park" position, just "neutral". I suspect that is because people might think park locks the tranny like a car does in park, and not bother with the parking brake.

I don't know what the 2:00 position is either. Some might be turned to a different time! I assume he means "on". If so, I always travel with it in the on position. I only turn it off for storage, and in that case I turn both battery disconnects off.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #8

Thanks to all that responded. I would read the owner's manual if I had one. A previous reply assumed I had one.
Apparently I was trying to make the HWH control panel do something that wasn't necessary. Oh well, live and learn.
No need for further replies and I hope all of you have a great day.

Alex
Old 07-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtrike View Post
The rear bedroom slide only deploys when coach is connected to shore power. So what you are saying is the coach will dump air automatically when the HWH auto level is pressed twice.
Drive safely,
Alex
I believe the bedroom slide is a 12 volt system - sure worked when we were boondocking. Must be something different with your coach?

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtrike View Post
Thanks to all that responded. I would read the owner's manual if I had one. A previous reply assumed I had one.
Apparently I was trying to make the HWH control panel do something that wasn't necessary. Oh well, live and learn.
No need for further replies and I hope all of you have a great day.

Alex
If it helps, here is a PDF version of the HWH manual. It might not be for your model, but it might be something to read if you get bored.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH ml30488 Operators manual.pdf (189.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
On my 2001 Alpine, the rear slide will extend or retract without being connected to shore power. It will not however extend or retract when the ignition is "on". I think thats to keep someone from inadvertently extending it when traveling !

As for not having an owners manual, please dont hesitate to ask whatever questions that you have......I think that is what many of us are here for is to help each other.

Sounds like you pretty much have everything else figured out.

Jeff
Old 07-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #12

Jim A, thanks for the manual. I really enjoyed it and plan on making a printed copy to keep in the coach. I hadn't tried to extend the bedroom slide with the ignition key in the accesory position, as my dealer's workers advised me the coach had to be on shore power. Can't wait to try it.
Thank you again for your fantastic assistance.
Travel safely,
Alex
Old 07-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #13

Rear slide on 2001 will extend/retract when ignition key is in off position. No need to go to accessory position unless you are leveling coach or extending main slide. Also do not need the jacks down to extend/retract bedroom slide. We extend/retract ours frequently when level without jacks down.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #14

My pleasure!!

Both of my slides work without the key in the ignition and not connected to shore power. I am not sure if they will operate with the key turned on. I don't think they will, acting as an interlock to keep somebody from putting out the slide while traveling! The jacks need the key in the accessory position or the on position to operate. The jacks control panel runs off of the chassis battery but the coach batteries operate the pump. If no pump power, neither the jacks nor the slides will work. (The jacks will probably retract in that case, since they are raised by springs, not hydraulics.

If you have no coach battery power for whatever reason, THEN you would need to be connected to shore power and the battery charger turned on. Its a 12 volt system. But that should be the only reason you need shore power. Otherwise there would be a lot of cramped dry campers!!!