Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #1

Another Lost Brakes Thread

I have a 1999 36fds alpine and experinced total brake loss this weekend.When I checked the right front rotor was around 460 degrees f with my temp gun.I never have boiled brake fluid before,will it just evaporate when it gets that hot?The master cylinder was dry.After it cooled I put about 1/2 quart brake fluid in and seem to have a pedal but dont trust it so I am having it towed.My vin was not in the recall but only missed buy a few numbers.Does any body know the part numbers for the replacement calipers and a possible source and cost.It looks like the right front and left rear calipers may have bin sticking.I climbed all around under the coach a could not find a leak anywhere.
Thanks Ray Fordyce 8/30/2009
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #2

When was last time you checked the fluid level? Sounds like you may have been low. Likewise, when was last pin slide lube on your brake calipers? That's a biannual or more frequent chore IIRC.

You'll need a full brake bleed with fresh Dot3. And IIWM I'd do a full 4 wheel-off brake inspection before doing the bleed. Sounds like that 460 degree wheel needs new bearings & bearing pack as well, probably melted the ABS sensor, and depending on what you find maybe a new rotor.

Check on the caliper pistons (internal to the caliper assembly) that may be used for your repair. There is a recall in process on all pin-slide Bosch brakes on Workhorse & some other brand chassis' for at least the last 8 years that contain a Bakelite coated piston. The Bakelite coating was used to minimize heat transfer to other parts of the assembly; however, NHTSA has found that the Bakelite will absorb water from the brake fluid and swell up when heated. That causes the piston to stick in the bore, overheating the brake, causing brake drag, possibly boiling brake fluid, blah, blah, blah. Bosch has a new caliper in manufacture to replace all 4 corners on about 49,000 motorhomes. I don't know if it will be useful, but you may want to contact Bosch for further info (click on Contact & choose a division to start). If your calipers have these pistons you might want to have them changed out for the new design when it becomes available late this year (probably November or so).
Old 08-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
EM,

I have never lubricated my brake caliper pins.

What is the preferred lubricant and do you have to take any part of the braking system apart to do a thorough lube of the pins? Would an aerosol spray lube work adequately?
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #4

anyone have part number for the abs sensors
Old 08-31-2009, 09:42 PM   #5

Jerry- You have the Meritor 4-piston brakes, not the Bosch pin-slide two-piston calipers.

All- The pin slide lube is a wheel-off job. There are instructions on the Bosch website, and (probably more easily found on) the upper "sticky" threads on the Workhorse forum here on iRV2. I should probably steal same for the Tech Library. The doc describes lube req'd as well as whole process.

I can't vouch for the years covered, but there is a Brake Parts List on the ACA Tech Library page under Chassis & Brakes that shows Bosch caliper rebuild parts numbers as well as brake pads, rotors, bearings, ABS sensors, etc. It's a copy of a fax from WRV sent to an Alpine owner for dealing w/a brake issue.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
WRV changed from the Pin Slider Calibers to a fixed Caliber during the 2000 to 2001 model year change. My 2001 was manufactured in late 2000 and it has the fixed caliber.

I helped one my friends with a 2000 Alpine to service the pin sliders and we were able to lube them without removing the wheels. It took a little time about 4 hours but saved us from the back braking work of R&Ring the wheels. I think the next time we lube them it will take about 2 hours now that we have preformed this procedure at least once.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #7

Dave- do you know what make & model the fixed calipers are (Bosch, Meritor, etc.)? And if Bosch, do you know if the pistons are the Bakelite coated gems? We should get info on those for the Library.

Boy howdy, if someone would write up a process for wheels-on pin-slide lube, it could go on in Tech Library and save hundreds of hours of future service labor and dozens of lives and probably a few marriages.

Here is the Bosch Pin Slide Brake Manual link. I'll get this stored to the Tech Library for better availability 30 years from now.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #8

The only truck disc brakes I find on the Bosch website are the Zero Offset Harmonized-Truck pin-slide disc design; they have the phenolic or Bakelite coated pistons that are the subject of the massive Workhorse recall on Bosch ZOPS and ZOHT pin slide calipers. These ZOHT calipers may have been replacement calipers for the original Bosch Zero Offset Pin-Slide calipers used after the original ZOP-S recall for pin sticking issues and before WRV's switch to a different brake. The 2001 model year Alpine brochure shows Meritor 4-piston (fixed caliper) brakes, which have been used on Alpines ever after, and have solid metal pistons.

Based on the above quickie research, I'd say that any pin-slide brakes on Alpines 1997-2000 are Bosch, wither ZOPS or ZOHT, and have the "phenolic" pistons that are subject to swelling and sticking, thereby overheating a wheel. The symptoms of the recall failure are remarkably similar to Ray's original post above with wheel overheating up to a possible point of "wheel end fire."

If I had a pre-Meritor brake chassis, I'd check w/Bosch on the status of new caliper availability curing the phenolic piston freeze up problems. Perhaps they will have piston rebuild kits, new calipers w/properly designed pistons, etc. Whether there will be recall coverage is anybody's guess.

In the mean time, the biggest enemy of the phenolic piston is water in the brake fluid, which the phenolic absorbs agravating piston sticking. To minimize this- change your brake fluid often. IIWM w/those plastic coated pistons, I'd attend to full brake fluid changes every 6 months regardless starting as soon as I could get the fluid changed. Its cheap.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is the new lubricant that Prattville RV used on my caliber slide pins--it's a clear 3 M silicone paste PN#051135-08906--it's not cheap!!

Woody
woodyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #10

Woody- is this the stuff?

You can find it online googling 3M Silicone Paste
Old 09-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Thumbs up

I used a Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube Hi-Temp Silicone, when we lubed the Pin Sliders on the 2000 Alpine.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ne_Formula.htm
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's it--

That's the stuff---how much was it on line?--Prattville RV said it cost a pretty penny for them.

Woody
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Woody- is this the stuff?

You can find it online googling 3M Silicone Paste
woodyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #13

costs from $15 pre tax & delivery to $24.

I didn't read the Pin Slide manual to see if they prescribe a "special" lube, might want to take a look if this applies to you. The pictures make it look silvery when applied. (I did look at the pictures, typical engineer)
Old 09-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #14

Getting towed from maryland to nj xxx dollars
4 new rotors xxx dollars
4 new calipers xxx dollars
4 new abs sensors xxx dollars
2 sets brake pads xxx dollars
4 new wheel seals xxx dollars
labor for all the above xxx dollars
DRIVING A ALPINE COACH PRICELESS!!!!!! LOL
well at least I am back on the road again,that was until the driver side wiper broke on the last trip
does it ever end ?