Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #1

Another Turbo Elbow Issue

Based on the threads in this forum on coaches having blown turbo elbows, we decided to order the 500 degree orange turbo elbow from Purosil, using the part numbers supplied on other threads, and replace the 350 degree blue elbow that came with the coach in 2006, from a purely preventative maintenance viewpoint.

After taking out the original elbow, which looked fine from the outside, we found a hairline crack in it on the inside about 2" long and about 3/4" from the clamp on one end. The crack had not worked its way to the surface but wasn't far from it. So it was a breakdown not far from happening. We plan a big trip this winter to the south again, so we're glad we changed it out ahead of time, along with new clamps, rather than waiting for it to fail.

My recommendation for those of you with newer ISL 400s that haven't checked this elbow, or "boot" as some call it, you might want to do it or just go ahead and replace it with the newer 500 degree one ahead of time. We had to order ours through a local distributor because Purosil would not sell me direct since we had a source in Tacoma, but it wasn't that big a deal.

We're sure thankful we have this forum to help share this information!
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
OldForester,
Thanks for the heads up, as an ISL 400 owner I wasn't aware of this problem. What are the engine years that are effected with this problem?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:40 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
All - EM recommended to me that we wrap this hose with stainless wire to reinforce it more. I have not done that yet. What my feeling is that we get a group together and order about 10 of these things, we would have to figure out a central stocking place, or a group of us could each have a couple on hand and when someone needs one, we just ship it out to them, they then return the money via check. In the September ACA Newsletter under the Paul Sullivan article, a Tech Support group is being started for those owners who don’t have Internet or in a location where it does not work. That group of volunteers could be the stocking point if we can figure out how to make it work. Chris, Paul, and EM, let’s talk this over to see if we can arrive at a solution for this at QZ, and if nothing else I owe each of you a beer. These hoses from Purosil are expensive, and I know the dealers don’t pay what we have to from them. Plus having to wait through a weekend or longer for it to be shipped to the dealer and then for us to drive to them is further waiting.

I had to wait 4 days on mine, and then drive 135 miles one way to pick it up in the toad. We did have a nice lunch at Olive Garden, but I would have passed if I could have. Purosil would also not sell it to me directly and I had to purchase from a distributor. I am going to call them, and see what the price of a bulk order of them would be, to cut the cost for all of us. I have a diesel parts house I use and will check to see if they are a dealer for this item, and get some costs for them as well. This is going to affect everyone who has the ISL-400 engine in an Alpine. I am also going to assume it does not affect the earlier 350 HP coaches.

I don't know if it affects other brands as the radiator/CAC was something I believe the manfacturer of the coach designed. The color of the wrong hose is blue, if you have an orange one; it's been corrected or repaired by someone else. It is located down and to the left of the radiator coolant tank. If you look to the left of that tank you will see a large metal pipe, go down that pipe and there is the hose. It has a 90 degree bend in it. If you hear a compressor sound in the front of the coach when under boost, that is that hose leaking. I did not replace the clamps as they looked good when I removed them. Those clamps are more than one use type I think. With that hose and the alternator yesterday, I'm becoming more of a diesel mechanic than an RV tech. The actual repair is not difficult, but you can only get one hand in the area at a time unless you move the coolant tank (see alternator replacement thread for pictures of it moved out of the way).
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #4

Great idea, been thinking along these lines, would love to sit down and discuss possibilities. Best Regards Chris
Christopher Cratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:35 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hello Chris, I sent you an e-mail
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #6

Monty,
Mine split right about the time this subject was first going around the forum some time ago. Had it replaced at Cummins in Medford and they did put the 500 degree in. Their thoughts were that the temps coming into the elbow were already about 350 so the 500 was very necessary.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #7

This company has the Purosil hose available online for $60.32

http://perfectionequipment.catalog.com/viewProduct.cfm?item_id=709340
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #8

Wayne R -- thanks for the link on the turbo hose; that was about the same price I paid to my local distributor in Tacoma, including shipping costs. I decided to order an extra one in case we accidentally cut or tore the new one with a clamp putting it on, plus have it in case somebody else has the problem when we're nearby.

RJay -- I don't know how the outlet hose of your turbocharger in your Newmar is connected to the intercooler, and if it uses the same Purosil 500 degree hose as Wayne R listed in the post above. The routing on Alpines with the ISL 400 is pretty much the same for at least 2003 to 2007 models, based on the posts on other threads in this forum on turbo elbow issues. Many of those threads have "loss of power" in the post, so you can do a search if you're interested. You would just have to look at yours to see if it has a blue (350 degree) turbo elbow hose or an orange (500 degree) one, or if it's connected some other way and go from there.

If you have the blue hose, I would change it. Our 2006 Alpine coach has 42,000 miles on it, but I think others have failed before that.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #9

Thumbs down

Dont know the exact location of the offending elbow but I do know this.

If the elbow is on the pressure side of the turbo and it cracks you will have a problem. But if it is on the suction side and before the air filter it is of little problem.

Silicone hose, the red hose you were discussing is really good stuff, but as you found out is expensive. Silcone does come in several colors. blue, red, orange and green are some of the colors I have seen. While Purosil is a good product there are others like FLEXFAB and I think Goodyear has some. I was at the SEMA hot rod show in Vegas last week and I saw at least 5 manufactures or silicone hose. 3 of them were Chinese, of course.
I was a distributor of silicone coolant hose and air hose among many other diesel parts for 20 years of so.
Retired now
Old 11-20-2010, 06:07 AM   #10

Is this hose a problem on the 08 ISL 425's?
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #11

also is this hose a warranty item from Cummins or is it not considered part of the engine?
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Old & Chris,
"In the September ACA Newsletter under the Paul Sullivan article, a Tech Support group is being started for those owners who don’t have Internet or in a location where it does not work. That group of volunteers could be the stocking point if we can figure out how to make it work. Chris, Paul, and EM, let’s talk this over to see if we can arrive at a solution for this at QZ,"

Since we are only 2 months away from Quartzsite I agree that we should bring this up during the GEARHEAD Session there. I admit that I have already purchased a spare and carry two rolls of Extreme Tape for emergencies.

40' MD Apex
Paul "Sully" Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #13

Stretch,

There have been a number of these hose failures reported on this Alpine site, and when they occur, power loss is very significant. It's between the turbo and the intercooler. Purosil has recommended we go up to the 500 degree hose because it's not that much more expensive and it sure beats the power loss if you lose one. I'm travelling with a second hose as well. I'm sure others make the hose, as you suggested, but it's not a big deal to buy, just a big deal if it breaks and you don't have the hose.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
I just ordered a spare and am now guaranteed not to need it......