Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #1

I have a 2006 Alpine Apex and have lost antenna inputs to both TV's. I am thinking a wiring problem or the antenna booster is bad or shut off. As per other submissions, my booster box does not have a switch on the front and I could not locate one anywhere on it. (Didn't remove the box) My box is located in the right rear storage bay. Does anyone know where the switch for this is and how I can find it? In my mature age I do not feel comfortable climbing on the roof to check for wiring problems; however, I may have to find someone if I cannot locate the switch or if that does not appear to be the problem. Any ideas?

Joe Brunold
2006 Alpien Apex

joebrunold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
I am assuming you are talking about the Winegard batwing OTA antenna? On my '04 coach the switch for the antenna booster is built into the Winegard coax switch box. I have seen other coaches (mostly older) with the booster switch in a outlet type of plate, along with a 12v socket, in the back left hand side of the entertainment center cabinet. There should not be anything in the way of a switch on the roof. The only question would be if the coax on the roof was damaged somewhere, or the connection loose.

I think the actual booster is built into the antenna head. The switch just provides power to it by way of the coax. If the booster has gone bad, the head is replaceable without changing the whole antenna system.

I recently installed a Winegard Sensar Pro to aid in aiming the antenna. This unit includes the booster power supply, so I could eliminate the Winegard switch box.

Probably doesn't answer your question, but that is about all I know.

Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There a;re usually two wall plates, I have seen them kind of hard to find, ONe near the front TV and one for the other tv. Beyond that I can't help

Oh, sometiems they do not use a switch in the plate but have one elsewhere. That can be a real pita to find cause it can be any simple on/off switch.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
On my Apex the booster switch was located in the compartment behind the direct TV receiver on the driver side. The booster switch was not accesible, so I moved it.

I don't know whether you a batwing ant or the round road star ant which is what I have. I had replace my Road star as the contacts inside the ant corroded up and would not work. There was no way no way to fix it, just replace it. I would start at the ant and run piece of coax from the ant to a portable TV and see if works. If that works, that coax runs dirctly to the booster switch. I would check that wire with a piece of coax to your portable TV and see if that works ok. IF your booster switch is ok, you just have to trace the wire down the circuit. A second thought where you can't get on the roof, you could just test the wire coming into the booster switch first, with piece of coax to a portable TV.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rereading the original post.. The plate with the switch is NEVER in the storage bay, it is near one of the televisions, usually the front (or the one nearest the antenna)

IF you have a box of many buttons, the switch is the one on the left.

The one in the storage bay is park cable input by the way It is not even an antenna connection. There is a cable on teh back side of it, the switch you seek is on the other end of that cable.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Alpine Owners Club
FWIW - At night, if you are in a dark place and the shades are pulled, and all the lights are off. You will see the green light of the antenna booster in behind the front TV area someplace. It's switch is on that box and WRV set it up to be on all the time, well at least for us it is.

Kraig, It never occurred to me that the round enclosed roof antenna could have corrosion inside it, and that could be the reason our OTA reception is worse than terrible. What replacement did you go to, and are you happy with it? I do however want something fixed, and not a crank up solution. Perferably a direct replacement with more reception ability would be nice. I/we have determined that OTA digital signals are inferrior to the old analog system. It might be great for those of you who like a lot of HD stuff, I just want good reception, for local weather and news. Everything else I can get off the internet if I want to watch a show.

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote