Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:08 AM   #1

Has anyone experienced Anti-lock brake light staying on after initial check???? Ours will stay on for awhile then cycle off....seems to be intermittent. Any suggestions????

Mike
04 36MDDS

Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2005, 06:08 AM   #2

Has anyone experienced Anti-lock brake light staying on after initial check???? Ours will stay on for awhile then cycle off....seems to be intermittent. Any suggestions????

Mike
04 36MDDS

Old 06-09-2005, 08:07 AM   #3

It might be the sensor. a dirty sensor can cause the light to stay on. There is a way to reset it by flipping the toggle switch (remove the panel near the entry and you will see it)but if it comes back, you will have to service it.

David
Old 06-09-2005, 11:11 AM   #4

Most of the time it is a dirty or misadjusted sensor. The sensor will lose signal for a period of time and turn on the light. If its a Wabco and you can find the control unit, there is s switch on or near it. hold the switch and the light will flash a code, long then short such as 3 long flashes and 2 short will be code #32. You can acces code info off their website in a troubleshooting guide. If its the Wabco runa Google for Arvin meritor and you should find it. (sorry dont have the address)
If all thats too much, trace the wire on back side of the rotor to the sensor. Pull it out and wipe it clean with a rag, reinsert it and that should clear it up.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #5

According to the "Meritor WABCO Hydraulic Power Brake (HPB) System Maintenance Manual," numbered page 11,:
"ABS and ATC lamps do not go off after the vehicle reaches a speed of 10-15 mph (16-24 km/h). This indicates there is a system fault. Perform vehicle diagnostics and make all of the necessary repairs, including appropriate bleed procedures, before returning the vehicle to service.
This looks like the right document to me; anybody recognize the contents?
Sensor R&R instructions are on numbered pp. 44-47 or so. Looks like an easy DIY job.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:18 PM   #6

Thanks for all the info on Anti-Lock Brake light problem. I will let you know what I find. What a great site for sharing MH info....Thanks again for you input

Mike
Old 06-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Mike:

One problem that it my cause it trouble light is the ABS Sensor may have moved out of position. There is an ABS sensor at each wheel, follow the wire to the sensor and check and make sure the sensor is pushed all of the way in. The rubber grommet should hold it in place, but they have been known to slightly move out of position causing it give trouble light.

Dave
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:28 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jedova
On my 1998, the ABS light often acts as described by Mike. I'm so used to it that I couldn't even tell you when it goes off, but I know it doesn't stay on very long. I had the same thing on a 1990 Mazda mini-van and I just assume it isn't a big deal. All this discussion makes me wonder if I should be doing something about it.......
Old 06-10-2005, 09:25 AM   #9

Jeff- If I get the operation of the ABS correctly, the light (if it is blinking on due to erratic signal) means the ABS computer is telling you it doesn't know the ABS status of braking, and couldn't engage properly for lack of clear signal.
For a bit of time under the coach and some brief grubbiness, most owners could do their own removal, cleaning & re-installation of ABS sensors, according to pages 44-46 of the above manual, and ABS would read properly & react accordingly. And maybe not blink the stoopid light at you.
Safety first, of course- if you are not comfortable working under the coach, take it to a professional (i.e. brake on, block wheels, jack stands where needed... & I suggest a good creeper and work light).
Old 06-10-2005, 09:17 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jedova
EngineerMike,

I just re-read your 6/9/05 post above and now I'm thinking that it may have addressed my concern. I would interpret the manual info to indicate that the ABS light could stay on until the coach reaches a speed of 10 - 15 MPH before it goes off, which may be what is occurring with us. Guess I missed that on the first time through. I don't have the manual noted, but if my interpretation is accurate, then I don't have a problem anyway. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:06 AM   #11

The ABS light will stay "on" even after you have fixed the error, until the vehicle is driven and the speed of approx 15MPH is attained. Assuming the problem is fixed the light should go off and stay off.
The only time the lamp should blink is when it is flashing a fault code. If a fault is detected the lamp will illuminate until the fault goes away, depending on the fault and the duration it may or may not archive the code.
The vast majority of the problems is with sensors out of adjustment, dirty sensors or faults in wiring.
The 2 most prevelant problems on the units I work on are #1, dirty sensors. We use up brakes at very high rate and the sensors get dirty quickly.
#2 wiring harness faults, the unit will loose signal from a sensor beacuse the connector got wet or had condensation in it (mostly during cold weather)

Scott
Old 06-11-2005, 10:47 AM   #12

Scott- Sounds like you could improve on the connector by first establishing a good, clean, dry fit; then wrap the connection w/self-vulcanizing tape (TommyTape, Xtreme Tape...). That stuff comes off easy if service is needed, and makes a good tight seal. Mike

Jeff- If I had to guess, I'd say that the worst case is ABS sensors don't provide a proper feedback, the computer figures that out & lights the dash light, and disables the ABS feature. If you are in icy conditions, that'd be an issue, but most of the time no ABS isn't a big deal. I'm guessing the computer wouldn't try to activate ABS modulation of hydraulic pressure on known questionable readings, but I think that's a reasonable guess. Mike