Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:18 PM   #15

I have two answers from King Controls about HD programming:

"Most of the DIRECTV HD programming is on satellite 119. You can view HD programming off the satellite broadcasting those channels, by telling the King-Dome to look at that particular satellite - You just start a search and it will go there. When you want to go back to the first, or recently viewed sat, you must start a new search once again."

"King Controls is working on a Multi-Satellite Switch and DVB Upgrade that will allow the King-Dome Automatic to move directly back and forth between the DIRECTV satellites." Release date unknown.

From another source I found a short description of what each satellite carries:

Satellite 101? offers access to the base of over 225 channels of DIRECTV programming. These are the same digital-quality channels (and satellite location) you can get with the conventional 18" mini-dish. Many local channel offerings are also on Satellite 101?.

Satellite 119? offers access to Para Todos programming, ethnic broadcasts, some local channel offerings and High Definition (HDTV) broadcasts. The number of HDTV channels on DIRECTV is growing and the future broadcast capabilities are astounding.

Satellite 110? will be offering select High Definition (HD) broadcasts. The number of HD programs offered from 110? will be increasing in the future.

We noticed that the Kingdome switch in the Alpine Coach had three positions - 101, 110, and 119, one for each satellite.

John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2004, 05:54 AM   #16

Makes sense.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:33 PM   #17

Hey, I just wanted to announce that WE are now fulltimers in an Alpine Coach. We sold (closed) our house in Austin TX yesterday. We've already been living in our coach for a while now - exactly 4 months today! We can't believe it's been that long, because it has been very comfortable living this way.

Now we can hit the road and enjoy what having this kind of rig is all about - finally!!!!

Audrey & John
Old 08-26-2005, 06:19 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne Routhier:
Audrey and John:

The feature I like the most on my 05 is the Hydro Hot. It is so much quieter than the furnace in my 2000 Alpine. The next feature I like is the residential refer. I suspect I will never have to fill the propane tank on this rig. The only thing that uses propane is the 3 burner stove, which we rarely use. This is really nice since I don't have to mess with getting propane at the Flying J so I just go to the truck island.

A good mattress is essential we replaced ours with a Sleep number bed.

I have added an in dash Pioneer Nav system which is almost plug and play since the unit comes with a Pioneer head unit. I also installed a Smart Tire system, monitored through a Silverleaf CL400. For us a Nav sys is a requirement to staying married, the tire monitor is for my peace of mind. We also have a Datastorm so that we are connected via the Internet anywhere we can see the southern sky. Another feature we really enjoy is the HDTV entertainment center. The Kingdome does not receive HDTV. We just installed a Moto Sat MHDTV unit. If you order your unit you might consider having them not install the Kingdome. I met one couple that did just that at the rally in Branson. He installed the Motosat MHDTV unit, great pic and sound.

Good Luck
Wayne

PS: Although my punch list is long, the more we drive and live in this unit the more we like it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:29 PM   #19

Wayne, We are brand new to this forum and brand new to Alpine and very excited to become part of this community. In your post to Audrey and Jim I found some very helpful suggestions but I am most interested in the Nav system and the Sat system. Did you have the Nav system put in aftermarket or from the factory? Is the motosat necesary for HDTV? We are purchasing an Apex and so it has most everything as standard equipment including the LCD TV. We probably wont' get delivery until November so I have a little time to make any necessary changes. Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Lyle
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:09 PM   #20

Lyle

Welcome to the forum. You are going to love your new Apex, I jealous.

Feel free to start a new post, your Nav and Sat questions may draw more attention. Try a search and you can canvas all the forums.

Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 05:07 AM   #21

Lyle ongratulations,
I installed a Pioneer unit, I went with Pioneer mainly because the coach came with a Pioneer head unit and swapping the retractable screen unit was virtually plug and play (Power harness and speaker wiring). Having said that the AVIC series of nav units are great

HDTV can be received on most of the Sat units you do need an HD reciever which I am sure the Apex will have. The issue with Direct TV is that they use 3 different satellites. The Motosat unit can receive all 3 at the same time. I believe the dome systems have to move from sat to sat as you change channels. I am not sure if they have automated the process yet or not.

It is also my understanding DTV will be adding Satellites soon to provide more HD. Don't know how this will affect the units including the Motosat.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:51 PM   #22

We sold our home last week and are going full-time in mid-October. Still packing the house into storage. We'll undoubtedly be Texans by year's end.

Mike Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote