Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #1

Any pictures of front cabinets removed?

Like many of you, we are upgrading to LCD tv in front cabinet area. Ours is 2002 mid door and the cabinets for the most part will have to have some serious modification to fit a 37" tv in. Currently thinking about leaving the portion of cabinet on the drivers side to put components in. How far forward does the ceiling material go under the existing cabinet? Any pictures or ideas will be appreciated.
beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #2

TV

Beagle I sent you a PM.
Looking 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #3

I know this is not quite what your doing but it could give you some idea's.

Basically, instead of those metal shields "incapsulating " all the electronic's

I went with a pull out tray, heavy duty of course. I walled in the side panels and opened the back side. Originally everything is stuffed together underl these metal and wood plates{passenger side}

When I want to listen to music or do anything with the receiver,I pull it out and turn it on... Sitting out in the room gives it more space to breath and stay cool.. I believe part of the problem with all the electronic's going bad so quick is the inability of the receiver's and dvd's ect from staying cool.
They are all packed in insulation behind those pates... The back wall is nothing more then a jagged hole cut haphazardly through the back plate and the electonic's basically squeezed into it.

Thats one huge Denon receiver I got there. The trick is to have the slider's at a very precise height so the back end of the receiver{depth wise} can fit in enough to allow the entire unit when locked in, will be flush to the cabinet and not sticking out... There is some real "PRE Measuring " considerations and the units you will be using.. Height - width and depth are all considerations.
You will notice the sat. receiver conveniently underneath and not buried in a wall. Now because of the switch, The other side is wide open to accept the biggest and baddest DVD player/playback ect ect after those design changes...
I took all the monitoring units and built a new plate but with a squared out box to accept it... I rescued all the cables buried underneath, walled in the side. You can all see the sat. finder button and the roof antenna wineguard Power Boost {which no one ever see's since it is dumped behind that wood plate and buried under and pile of coaxial cables that where half are connected to nothing and the other's to the back tv were never hooked up.{they are now}
The last photo is me pointing to the switch I revamped to turn the back tv from Outdoor antenna to Sat TV.
This is a work in progress and the final stage is again walling in the opposite side and mount the bedroom TV switch im pointing to about in that spot.

You might notice the thermostat sitting there.... It's on a very long phone cable and I can pretty much mount it anywhere... Im thinking more in the middle of the coach. So that thermostat will be gone from that cabinet.
I originally had it right next to the hydro hot switches... But it was a mistake as I did not take into consideration that the cabinet door hinge was gonna foil my plans.. After further thought... I prefer it in the middle of the coach anyway.... Probably mount something fancy where the premounting holes for that thermostat were.....and use a little "wood filler" if needed to hide the mistake!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_1011cabinermodification0003.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	6029   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_1011cabinermodification0004.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	6030  

Name:	2010_1011cabinermodification0005.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	6031   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_1011cabinermodification0011.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	6032  

Wingding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #4

Here is a couple more of the passenger side changes..

As you can see, I have room for the biggest and baddest dvd/anything /player ... There is even room for a fairly large receiver but obviously I already accomplished that on the other side.

The thing with this side is it is tapered. So it is important to open the back plate up... Again nothing but a jagged hole just big enough to jam the old Direct tv sat. receiver into, which is also a big bat of fiberglass insulation.... just what your HOT receiver needs.. No way to really breath....

I have a option of a set of slider's to extend the dvd player out but I think I'll just have it sit stationary on the boxed out enclosure. It does not nearly get as hot as the main Denon receiver and this is already a major improvement from being walled in and stuffed in insulation. Also i think it bad judgement on my part to have a overhanging tray in a stairwell....Ouch!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2010_1011cabinermodification0008.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	6034   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_1011cabinermodification0017.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	6035  

Name:	2010_1011cabinermodification0009.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	6036   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_1011cabinermodification0014.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	6037  

Old 10-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Wingding you sure do nice work. I also opened the area a bit for the electronics. I changed the hinges on the inboard doors so they lift up, out of the way so I can open them when we are parked.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #6

That's a great idea... Having the cabinet doors opening vertically !

No headbangers there! ..Didnt think of that one....

There is always a improvement to be discovered.

I sure wish Alpine would have had horizontally opening on it's bay storage doors underneath though... I got to tell you, it's pretty much get on your knees and crawl up to it...

There's just no head room unless your under 4 foot tall !

I wonder if anyone came up with a customized conversion for that ?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #7

FYI. All the overhead cabinets in the front of my coach have upward opening doors. Not true in the bedroom though. I guess WRV couldn't leave well alone.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I have been tempted to disconnect the lift cylinders on the 2 driver side doors and make a fold down stand like that used on some car hoods. Sure would be painful though if the stand got bumped loose.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Wingding:

That conversion is called a sliding storage drawer (or Smartbed!).
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2010, 06:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
Wingding:

That conversion is called a sliding storage drawer (or Smartbed!).
Where can these drawers be bought...if anyone knows.

Thanks..Stan
StansCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #11

Stan,
Im sure your referring to the "Smart Bed" for storage underneath.

But if you mean the stereo unit slides, it's pretty much all fabricating except the slider's which are bought out of Workworker's Supply Co.
100 pound test on the slides.
Holds a 30 plus pound stereo unit... But a little overkill on the expensive unit over your head is worth it.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingding View Post
Stan,
Im sure your referring to the "Smart Bed" for storage underneath.

But if you mean the stereo unit slides, it's pretty much all fabricating except the slider's which are bought out of Workworker's Supply Co.
100 pound test on the slides.
Holds a 30 plus pound stereo unit... But a little overkill on the expensive unit over your head is worth it.

Thanks Wingdng..

Sorry...I should have said...I was referring to the basement slides or smartbeds..

Thanks..Stan
StansCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #13

Thanks everyone,
Time to wrap this one up, it has gone from lcd's to smartbeds!
I got our 37" Panasonic lcd installed by cutting away most of the old tv 'garage' and narrowing quite a bit of the right cabinet. It is forward of the old tv face by about 10" and angled down about 15 degrees. This keeps it from protruding down below what the old tv did. Have to finish a couple of trim moulding then will post photos if there is any interest.
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #14

Finish the thread by showing us the finished product!

I'd love to see your customizing !