Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:23 PM   #29
It is interesting, the things that sold me on the Avalanche have not made it to the mainstream Alpine lines. I was attracted by the higher ceiling height and the side swing doors for storage. I was also intrigued by the large holding tank capacities compared to the competition (that all Alpines have).

Other than a significant couple of QC issues with the original manufacturing, the coach has been great. Unfortunately, both QC issues resulted in a need to take the coach back to Yakima. The most significant was the fact that the roof was not sealed on either side, it looks like this was a missed operation.

I think every coach will have a number of fit and finish issues associated with it, and these type of items can be easily rectified at the dealer. The overall design is sound and with the proper manufacturing in-process verifications, build quality can be improved. I thought seriously about alternatives, but chose to stay with the Avalanche due to the many amenities it has to offer in the price range. If it stays dry this winter in the rainy season, my wife and I will finally become very happy Alpine owners. There is nothing worse than purchasing a new coach and having it spend a total of 85 days at the factory over two trips having things fixed.

I do think the concept of the Avalanche was a good one, but as has been said, the marketing just was not there to make it successful when compared to the "big" names. One indication of quality attempts is the extension of the base warranty from 1 year in 2004 to 3 years in 2005 while Newmar went from 3 years down to 1 year. (wish I had waited for a 2005!)

We hope to get everything sorted out and resolved in the near future, several little items that I need to take care of. The lions share of them are OEM issues and not under WRV direct control such as the bracket for the Amana residential refrigerator constantly breaking (they are aluminum and the weld is breaking indicating insufficient heat). For this, I will make one out of steel and the problem will be solved.

2006 Alpine Apex 40 FDQS
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
2000 Vette for the track
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2005, 06:57 PM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wil Rathke:
We bought our 2nd Alpine Coach in March. It is a 2005 38FDTS, the previous coach was a '99 FDS. We, of course, have been very pleased with the coach. We have 16K miles on it and the '99 had 77K on it when we upgraded.

We have had some pecular Onan problems, but that seems to have gone away. And we had the Hydro-Hot recal as well as the Vansco VMM recall which were all taken of through the factory.

No other other major problems since the dealer prep. We are well pleased and are now full timers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I purchased a new 05 in March and love the coach even though we have had many problems. I do have an Onan problem. Some times I have to start the generator 5 or six times before it continuse to run when the load kicks in. The problem is erratic. Any help?

Jerry and Judy Davis
Fremont, California
05-06 36'FDDS
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:48 AM   #31

If you make a habit of running your fuel tank close to empty before filling there could be air pockets in the genset fuel line. You can prime the genset by holding the start/stop button in the off position for one minute.

Check the error codes in the genset, although they are sometime vague they can head you in the right direction. The search engine on IRV2 can provide more info.

Danny & Claudia

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:50 PM   #32

Back to your question, Does anyone like their Alpine Coach. As you can see there are numerous members that love their Alpines. Just as an observation the forum is a place that people feel they can ask for and share information. Tendencies are to usually ask a question when they have a problem. This is no different then when all our motorcoach friends get together and we have a wide variety of coaches represented, Monaco Dynasty, Newel, Country Coach Magna in the group, everyone starts to share the problems they have.And believe me some of our friends with $500K to $Million coaches have had some pretty major problems, that I have never seen or read about on an Alpine.

From 6 years experience of owning 4 Alpine Coaches we have been pleased with everyone of our coaches. We have finally kept a coach for 2 years and I must say the first year has its ups and downs as all coaches do, but after that it has been smooth sailing. WRV has been more then helpful in resolving coach issues.

I also think that is important to look at the manufacturer, I know of many many cases where WRV has helped an owner even when the coach is out of warranty, as they want to make it right. Also I do not know of any other manufacturer that supports a Focus group of owners that make recommendations, twice a year, on changes to the coaches and actually get a report back to the group on the recommended changes that have been incorporated into the new models. Ron Doyle, CEO/President personally spends the time to listen to this group and understand what they are asking for.

I wish you well in your decision and hope to see you at an ACA rally soon.

Dawnell Greene
dkgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:17 PM   #33
I have to say that I am now enjoying my Alpine. It was rocky but WRV came through and fixed all the issues. I still have a few small things but overall I am pretty happy with my coach and enjoying it the way it was designed.

rockcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:28 AM   #34
We really love our coach. It hasn't been problem free. We still have two mysterious water leaks. I say "mysterious" because they only occur under certain rain conditions, and how on earth the water is getting in is hard to imagine. We may just have to go back to factory to get these tracked down.

For us the interior "house" is very fine. We perhaps are not as experienced in the ultimate in house interior design as some other folks, but to us the woodwork is beautiful, and the overall interior finish is very nice.

My husband wishes the slides were designed like the ones on Foretravel MHs - rounded corners, and no "flange".

We also love some of the unique things like super huge wastewater tanks. It's great not having to dump the tanks very often. It seems that overall the design is extremely livable - the placement of things and use of space is great. Lots of details have been attended to and make living in a MH convenient. All from how easy it is to rinse the waste tanks to the large well laid out kitchen and nice tall shower (tall hubby).

And the windows are fantastic!! We totally enjoy the large windows - especially the 10 footer on the passenger side. I really don't think I've seen windows like that on any other motorhome.

Apparently we made a very compatible choice for ourselves and our lifestyle.

36ft 2006 Alpine Coach FDDS
Audrey & John is offline   Reply With Quote