Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #1

Anyone replaced a room slide cylinder?

Just noticed a leak from the front (behind the driver) ram cylinder. I have all the HWH info on part numbers and the remove and replace procedure but would like to know if anyone has actually done this. I know these repairs never go quite as described in the manual.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #2

Not sure what your room slide mechanism looks like, but I reworked the two cylinders and swing arms on a 97 Discovery a few years ago. Best I remember I didn't have any problems with the cylinders. I also had to rebuild the hydraulic pump motor.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #3

Havent had the pleasure of doing this "dirty deed" but have looked at the possibility before--think the challenge will be getting the cylinder out the end of the slide arm tube without removing the bracket on the slide. If its just seals, wonder if you can remove/replace them without completely removing the ram from the support tube????
Problem is [on my 03 anyway] is that the bolts that connect the end-bracket to the slide are located below the water heater--nearly impossible to get at to loosen. Also think you will have to remove the long metal trim strip on the lower, outside edge of the slide. Of course, all this has to be done with the slide extended and supported. Not sure if the same issues exist on your year/model but WRV did me absolutely no favors to help do this on my 03.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #4

Actually the HWH instructions say that you detach the cylinder rod from the slide and you pull the cylinder out from the inside. You don't need to detach the slide from the room at all.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:53 PM   #5

On my 03, the passenger side end of the support tube is welded shut [hydraulic lines and ram lock nut come thru holes in end plate] so all access /work has to be done from the driver side end of the tube----I think?????? What makes it worse is that extending arm [driven by the ram] has to be removed from the support tube before you can even get at the ram.

PS--disregard the hidden bracket bolt issue -- only the back ram is impacted by the hot water heater's position. The front bracket bolts must be under the carpet behind the coach somewhere....
Old 02-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #6

John--my bad [guess I should have looked before "thinking"]...anyway...I just looked at the end plates on the passenger side of my 03 and there appears to be two bolt ends/nuts that allow the end plate and ram to be removed from the passenger side [once ram is released from slide extending arm support]. Getting the adjust/locking nut off the end of the ram threaded rod is a bit tricky--not must room to work inside the extension arm--on my 03 anyway. Sorry about getting you off course on the ram removal......
Old 02-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #7

Not to worry. When I first looked at it I also thought I had to pull the whole unit out on the driver's side. When I downloaded the instructions from HWH I was relieved to see that the cylinder could be removed separately out on the passenger side. On mine that end plate is behind the HWH manifold and if it has to come out straight it will hit the side of the coach. I was hoping someone had done this and could tell me there was enough wriggle room to get it though the door opening.
I did get the nut off the ram end using a 15/16" ring wrench. Getting it back on may be more of a challenge.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Not sure what your room slide mechanism looks like, but I reworked the two cylinders and swing arms on a 97 Discovery a few years ago. Best I remember I didn't have any problems with the cylinders. I also had to rebuild the hydraulic pump motor.
Did you get a seal kit for the cylinders? I found the instruction sheet on the HWH website on how to replace the seal but I can't find a part number for the seals.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #9

seal

John

Our 2000 front slide ram has been leaking small amount of oil for over a year.
So far adding a little oil was a easier. But if I get myself motivated will tackle the problem.
If you find the seal part number, would you post them.
Hydraulic shop should have the parts.
HWH, last time I checked, only sells the rebuilt ram.

Gary
Old 02-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #10

HWH would not sell me the seals and would not give me part numbers. Initially they gave me 2 options, a new cylinder at $353 + shipping, or send in my old one for repair at $247 + shipping (both ways). After some arm twisting they offered to sell me the rod guide only (with all new seals) for $134 + shipping. This is what I went for and it should arrive in 10 days.
If I had more time I might have taken it apart and tried to find replacement seals but at least this way I will know the seals are correct and installed the right way round.
If your slide unit is part AP13754, then a new cylinder unit is RAP90458 and the rod guide is RX92776.
The HWH drawing is MR412000.
When I get the part I will remove the existing cylinder and report back.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #11

seals

Thanks for the info.
They never offered the shaft to me or maybe they did!

Keep us infomed.

GAry
Old 02-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #12

I just finished the job so here is what I found. First, HWH has 2 articles describing how to replace a cylinder: ML16463 and ML39247. The first one is easier to follow but does not include the procedure to retract the bad cylinder before removal, so I used bits from both. The major issue with removing the front cylinder was that it would not go through the door of the hydraulic unit compartment. I ended up sawing a section out as shown below:

The replacement rod guide was slightly different to the original but HWH assured me it was OK.

The other things you need are 7/16-20 JIC plugs and caps for the hoses and a male to male adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0845.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	56558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0846.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	56561  

Old 02-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #13

This is where I made an access hole behind the front wheel. I was able to tap some threads into the panel as it is thick so the cover can be attached with bolts only from the outside.

Name:	IMG_0861.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	57150
The second picture shows the repaired section of fiberglass. I epoxied a piece of wood behind the cut section and then filled the cut with an epoxy putty. Not perfect but acceptable.

Name:	IMG_0862.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	57151
Old 03-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #14

Information

Hey John,

Thought I posted, but don't see it, in one of your pictures I can see heat duct, is that the section that you had to remove to get to the hoses on the slide?
My hose came in today, 4 days from HWH, pretty good. I am looking at the area and it looks like everything is pretty much glued together, is that what you found, also any other help that you can offer on replacing this hose would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ben

hunter27h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, slide