Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #1

Anyone with Leaks at Front or Rear Cap Seams?

Cross shopping early to mid-00's Alpines with Country Coaches (& Foretravels, if one pops up in budget that isn't a basketcase, lol). I see that the Alpines have seams on the roof at the front and rear cap join sections.

Being leak-paranoid as I am, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any leaking issues with these seams? I love a lot of things about Alpine Coaches, but CC's do have a leg up here, as the roof is seamless.

If you've had no seam leaks, what did you do, if anything?

Thanks very much. We'll be in the DP club hopefully soon (coming from the also cult-like Safari Trek crew)
2000 Country Coach Magna 36' #5752
past: '98 Safari Trek 2480, '91 Fleetwood Flair 22
srogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #2

Like anything else with an RV, leaking roof/end cap seams aren’t an issue provided owners follow a protocol involving periodic inspections and maintenance.

Where are the seams located on the CC and FT coaches?

Personally, I believe a front cap that wraps around to the roof and side walls will be less prone to water intrusion while driving 60mph in rainy conditions than a roof that wraps down to the front and side walls.

We we’re searching the same brands and vintages 3 years ago. CC carried higher original MSRP’s than Alpine, so we focused our search on Alpine’s, knowing that we’d have to go a few years older for a CC. After looking at coaches in So Cal, AZ and WA, we found exactly what we wanted on the 6th try.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #3

The CC front cap's edge/end appears to be underneath the fiberglass roof? Hard to tell, but the roof to front cap is all totally seamless, so no intrusion point in the front during driving (that I can see).

Don't know about Foretravel...the early 00's are pretty much out of our price range & we don't want to go older.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC front.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	257914  
2000 Country Coach Magna 36' #5752
past: '98 Safari Trek 2480, '91 Fleetwood Flair 22
srogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #4

We just had all of the roof caulking scrapped, cleaned and re sealed last week on our 07 40MDTS Apex. The original sealant was just starting to show small cracks. No runs, no drips, no errors! Don’t be afraid of an Alpine roof.
Steve and Linda's APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:56 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
We have a 2000 that we bought in 2004. Never have had a leak in the front or the back roof seam. Nor the sides. But I am a fanatic about water intrusion and caulk. I should by stock in Dicor and ProFlex.

There was sign of a small leak that occurred from the previous owner, drivers side rear cap, but it was caught by them. Just a small stain on the wood in the drivers side hanging closet.

Keep up on the roof inspections and I don't think you will have any concerns.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #6

My suggestion is to find out what WRV used to seal the caps, and then make sure you DON'T use that crap!!! My front cap leaked within the first year. Eternabond tape fixed it for many years, until a short strip went missing mysteriously earlier this year. I still swear by it. Once properly installed it is almost maintenance free.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #7

Like all things WRV, what was used on one coach may not have been used on another. Could be the guy or gal grabbed the wrong product or applied it incorrectly. There are not a great number of roof seam leaks reported by Alpine owners, especially within the first year.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I found the leak on my current South Wind at the rear. It was under the ladder, where the ladder is curved into the roof mounts, it isn't sealed and rain can run down inside the ladder roof mount and sit and eventually gets through. I found it when I resealed the roof. I sealed around where the ladder tube slips into the roof mounts. I put new larger SS screws in the mounts and resealed too. The ladder is a socket fit to the base, the water runs into it.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:36 PM   #9

That could be true. But whatever was used cracked badly and didn't adhere at all either. Whatever they used on the roof vents was much better. (I know because I removed them. That stuff stuck. Definitely different stuff.)

But all good now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Like all things WRV, what was used on one coach may not have been used on another. Could be the guy or gal grabbed the wrong product or applied it incorrectly. There are not a great number of roof seam leaks reported by Alpine owners, especially within the first year.

Tags
leak, leaks