Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Apex adding antifreeze

I can't seem to find a port to add chemical to the engine cooling system. Any help out there? I need to correct the chemistry of the antifreeze and so need to add a couple of bottles. Dealer told me to add it directly to the engine but not through the reservoir as that is generally static and does not circulate rather it is a expansion vessel.

Thanks

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #2

Reservoir tank is about it--unless you want to disconnect a hose or something. The expansion tanks on our Alpines are pretty "active" once ops temps are achieved. Think I would go with the tank.

Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #3

There is plenty of turn over in the tank. Just look at the difference in level cold to hot. A couple of heat/cool cycles and the SCA will be dispersed. If the high SCA concentration bothers you, add 1/2 now and the other 1/2 after 5 or 6 heat/cool cycles.

Also, unless SCA concentration is really low, I would retest after adding the first dose.

Also, SCA can be added by changing the coolant filter on most Cummins engines-- the filters come with different quantities of SCA.

Here are the test strips we use at the Diesel RV Club Rallies. They test SCA concentration, freeze point and pH (for regular low silicate for diesel coolant, NOT the new OAT-based coolants which really do not need checking):
Part Details

Brett
2003 Alpine 38'
Old 11-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #4

I thought the Apex engine came with Fleetgaurd ES Compleat. This does not require the addition of SCA. In fact the ISL engine does not have a coolant filter which is the way SCA is added to older engines like the ISC. I would get a second opinion from Cummins before doing anything.
Algoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I thought the Apex engine came with Fleetgaurd ES Compleat. This does not require the addition of SCA. In fact the ISL engine does not have a coolant filter which is the way SCA is added to older engines like the ISC. I would get a second opinion from Cummins before doing anything.

Not necessarily true. Fleetguard ES Complete EG and PG need SCA. Fleetguard ES Complete OAT doesn't.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Fleetguard Complete is already mixed with the proper amount of antifreeze/distilled water and SCA in it, so it does not need to be tested if it was a complete drain down, flush and refill. When you add coolant to top off the tank, you are adding SCA contained in the FG Complete. However, you should test the coolant SCA level annually to make sure it has not changed. Cummins recommends a complete coolant change (if my memory serves) every 3 years. Someone can correct me on this. If you have another brand I cannot comment on that, but annual testing of the SCA level is recommended.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Apex adding antifreeze

Thanks for the info, I decided to take your suggestions and use the reservoir tank. Drained two gallons of coolant from the radiator, put the SCA in and followed it with the two gallons of coolant. Ran two heat cycles and all is well.

About the coolant filter, this ISL does have the filter however the chemistry was so low the dealer wanted to get it back into the safe zone and then replace the filter with the proper amount of SCA for maintaining.

Thanks again for the advice.

Jim
Old 11-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #8

FYI, our ISL Serial number: 46210160 DOES have a coolant filter. It is in the "normal" location on Cummins engines-- toward the back of the engine (front of coach) from the oil filter.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #9

Jim- I'd be taking what that dealer tells me w/a grain of salt, I've never heard of adding antifreeze anywhere but at the expansion tank or overflow tank. Might ask him/her to explain what he was expecting as a fill point.