Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Apex Front Shade Replacement Options

The front electric shade that came standard on our Apex has stopped operating, fortunately, it is in the stowed position and will not come down. Had this problem before and all I had to do was lubricate the mechanisms and move the motor off of what is likely a dead spot. Tried this again this time to no avail. Power is getting to the motor, but it will not operate. If I manually move it down a bit, it will retract, but will not go down.

Since this is the second occurence of this issue, was wondering what other electric shades have been substituted, how difficult the installation was and of course ballpark cost.

2006 Alpine Apex 40 FDQS
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
2000 Vette for the track
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #2

I fitted the Carefree Power Visors to my coach but I don't know of any alternatives to that. They probably made the ones you have. When I bought mine a year ago they came with a 2 year warranty but they now only offer a 1 year warranty which doesn't bode well for these lasting too long.
Got mine from PPL at around $270 each; I have the 40" wide ones. I also fitted the remote unit so I didn't have to run wires down to the dash. Should be an easy install if you are replacing yours and don't mind lying on your back.

John and Mary Knight
2015 Ventana 4311, 2015 Cadillac SRX
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
I also have an Apex with the same shades and was told that I too would someday have the same problem. So far so good and my shades are working fine but the switch seems to have issues and has to be held in just the right position to operate the shades going up. (Probably an easy fix). MD makes a nice shade that goes all the way across the front window and should be an easy replacement. I saw these shades in Quartzsite and believe they are around $800.00 and easy to install.

Good Luck with a fix and let us know what you do for a replacement.
Jim & Vivian
2007 Alpine Apex
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
We and the Fivians were the last Apex coaches to have MCD shades installed under WRV warranty before MCD stopped installations because they were not getting paid. Join the crowd. Love them and wish we could afford to do the rest of the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0003 (2).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	8117   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0003a (2).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	8118  

Name:	img_0004 (2).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	8119   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0004a (2).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	8120  

Name:	img_0007 (2).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	8121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011 (2).JPG
Views:	68
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	8122  

Name:	img_0012 (2).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	8123   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0013 (2).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	8124  

Basil & Sue Shannon
Former Apex owner (Gary & Renee have it now)
Was Traveling Circus (2 clowns/Sage the Wonder Dog) Tent rotted. Circus folded.
Basil Shannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Alpine Owners Club

I know how you can part with just a little more money...

MCD now has a shade that will fill that "light leak". It gets wider at the bottom as it rolls down.

I'd give you the exact web page, but their site is having problems MCD Innovations
2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote