Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:56 AM   #1

Hello, Everyone-- "wheeler" here, and I've appreciated the opportunity to participate in your forum and learn about the Alpine Coach ownership experience. I'm a fan of WRV products, on my second WRV product, a heavily customized fifth wheel, and have been waiting for info on the release of an even more upscale Alpine Coach.

Can someone give us a view into the features and spec's of the new Apex? I'd been looking for features like OnStar, incandescent overhead lighting, touchpad keyless entry, centrally locking storage bay doors, etc. A concern I have is about additional features and weight on a quad-slide 40 foot chassis with no tag axle... thoughts? Thanks!

2004 Alpenlite Venice
wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2005, 09:56 AM   #2

Hello, Everyone-- "wheeler" here, and I've appreciated the opportunity to participate in your forum and learn about the Alpine Coach ownership experience. I'm a fan of WRV products, on my second WRV product, a heavily customized fifth wheel, and have been waiting for info on the release of an even more upscale Alpine Coach.

Can someone give us a view into the features and spec's of the new Apex? I'd been looking for features like OnStar, incandescent overhead lighting, touchpad keyless entry, centrally locking storage bay doors, etc. A concern I have is about additional features and weight on a quad-slide 40 foot chassis with no tag axle... thoughts? Thanks!

2004 Alpenlite Venice
Old 08-27-2005, 04:34 PM   #3

Hi Wheeler,

We are very new to this forum but do have information on the Apex since we bought one at GNA. I will list all the things that are standard on this fantastic coach. First of all they are not yet being produced, well not exactly because there are a few chasis on the line. The first ones will probably be rolling off the line in November. The Apex is basically started as a Limited and then goes up from there. They add as standard equitpment nearly every option from the Limited's extensive offerings: Hydro-Hot, LCD Flat-Screen HDTV, SmartBeds, Kingdome Satellite TV, Keyless entry, SmartTire Monitoring System, RO Water Filtration, Expanded Silver Leaf Monitoring, hose and cable reel, left/fright turn assist cameras,halogen interior lighting, keyless entry, etc, etc, etc.
The coach is a quad-slide with 400ISL.
The most inovative feature is the SmartBeds. They slide out just like a drawer electrically. No doors to flip up or open side-ways. It is fantastic and makes access to your goodies down below a snap.

Hope this helps,
Lyle
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:32 PM   #4

Hello Lyle and Cath, thank you for your reply, and "Welcome to the Forum," and to the association of WRV owners. Congratulations on the new Apex, I know you are very excited!

I've taken the WRV factory tours and noted certain innovations. The driveability of the Peak Chassis has always impressed me; unlike most RV interiors, WRV's "design aesthetic" is an interior I can live with; and I have appreciated the large holding tank capacities. Equally important, at every turn, my request for assistance from the organization, from telephone calls answered promptly, efficiently and courteously, to, coincidentally, the very tip-top of the organization (when I casually made a request for assistance of a WRV "staff person" seated in an Alpine Coach at an RV show, who just happened to be a very unassuming owner, Ron Doyle,) WRV has treated me in a way that makes me intend to buy from them again. At that time, now about four years ago, management described an intention to release a higher-end product... meanwhile Avalanche was released, and now Apex is here.

What an innovative idea-- SmartBeds sound like a super solution to access all the hard to get to storage space-- and get the access door out of the way.

I have had a specific feature set for a coach in mind; meanwhile I have added most of them post-factory to my WRV fifth wheel, including LCD and DLP HDTV (3), dimmable incandescent overhead lighting, keyless entry, SmarTire, RO+ultraviolet water filtration, dishwasher, rear+right/left turn assist video cameras, Glendinning power and water reels, electric valve toilet, auto start genset, 3000 watt ProSine inverter, AGM batteries, etc.

Apex seems to close the feature gap and I look forward to seeing it. I'm still curious about the carrying capacity, or CCC, with the four slides and the added features on the Peak chassis. Have you seen the posted CCC of your coach, yet, Lyle?

Many happy trails in your new coach, Lyle and Cath-- and please keep us posted with your experiences. Best from wheeler

2004 Alpenlite Venice
Old 08-29-2005, 07:11 AM   #5

Wheeler,you are absolutely right we are very excited about the Apex!

It sounds like you have built your own Apex as a fifth wheel. That's very impressive.

I believe the CCC is about 3350 but do not know for sure. There is still very little printed material on this unit. Two pages to be exact the last time I knew.

Thank you for the welcome to the community.
We plan on attending the Desert Rat Rally in January assuming we get our coach by then.

I think you will be impressed with this beauty called Apex and it sounds like it would be just the thing you would be looking for.
Enjoy your adventures,
Lyle
Datastorm #3481
Old 08-29-2005, 02:54 PM   #6

Congratulations on your new coach, it sounds terrific. I hope it goes down a different production line than the other coaches as the quality control is absolutely non-existent. I am quite surprised at WRV bringing out a new model with so many issues in their existing models. I truly hope that you get a wonderful coach with many of our existing problems rectified before you take ownership.
LOL
Ted
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:54 AM   #7

Thanks Ted, This forum has been invaluable for me so that we have an idea as to what to look for in our PID. I will keep folks posted as to QC on this unit when production starts. We only live a couple of hours from the factory so I will be able to visit our coach as it progesses down the line.
Lyle
Datastorm #3481
Old 08-30-2005, 09:18 AM   #8

There's only "one" line where all coaches get fab'd. Tho it is broken into sections.
Chassis "room" starts w/steel rails at one end, and goes to finished, drivable bare chassis assembly @ the other end. The frame goes off line for paint, then back on line. They even have a temporary pedestal w/plastic seat to drive the bare chassis around. Once finished, the chassis enters the
Coach "room." Here all house features, skin, etc. are added. The coach leaves the coach line for tape & paint, then plugs back into the same slot it left for finishing like 3M film.
IIRC, there was one chassis nearing completion (~Aug. 16th when we toured) that was to become an Apex.
One question, why name a coach after a divorced simian?
Old 08-30-2005, 12:34 PM   #9

Aw shucks, I thought it was named for that wonderful wine (Apex) down the hiway. I even have a hat from the winery that I was planning on wearing when I drive the rig.
EngineerMike we just missed you by a couple of days at the factory.
Datastorm #3481
Old 09-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #10

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
http://apex.shutterfly.com/action/
If link expires, contact me at basil_shannon@yahoo.com and I will send the pictures to you. These are pictures of the Apex that WRV brought to the Cheyenne, Garrison & Minot rallies.

Hey, take a look at a great coach with a lot of inovations!!!!!!!! We have been looking at upper end 45' coaches for over a year since we were lacking storage space while full timing in our 03 38' FDTS. BUT, WE HATED TO LEAVE THE ALPINE COACH ASSOCIATION AND ALL THE WONDERFUL PEOPLE.
The Apex solves the storage problem so you are stuck with us for a few more years.We made some changes:
3rd 15K Coleman AC and 10K generator. We find that 2 17k ac units just don't cut it in Lost Wages, Arizona, West Texas and other "mild climates".

Tile front to back. We have a hard time keeping carpet clean. How about a few expendible throw rugs from Wally World to keep our feet warm?

Eleminate the useless sink in toilet (our opinion) and move Washer/dryer to it's slot. Add cabinets above W/D & toilet. Later add sewing center for Sue in area where W/D used to live.

Later add computer desk in dining area. Ideas please.

Paint black ac units to match coach. Black stands out too much. (our opinion)

Add ethernet cables front & back for computers. Will move our Datastorm to the Apex.

Etc, etc.

We expect to take delivery early November.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:17 PM   #11

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Apex specs:

According to the stuff I got from WRV, this is a comparison of the 40' FDQS and Apex:

ITEM 40' FDQS APEX
Gross axel weight rating (GAWR) front 13,000 lbs 13,000 lbs
Gross axel weight rating (GAWR) rear 20,000 lbs 20,000 lbs
Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) 33,000 lbs 33,000 lbs
Gross combined weight rating (GCWR) 43,000 lbs 43,000 lbs
Unloaded vehicle weight (with Fuel) 27,927 lbs 29,320 lbs
Cargo carrying capacity (CCC) 3,355 lbs 1,962 lbs (a ton of "stuff")
Fuel tank 115 gallons 143 gallons (X $3.00+ a gallon)
LP gas 42 gallons 39 gallons *
Fresh water 100 gallons 100 gallons
grey water 100 gallons 104 gallons
black water 78 gallons 80 gallons

I'm sure some of these numbers will change as the model matures.

*Will last forever with no gas water heater and no gas heater.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:17 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Basil & Shannon,
Thanks for sharing the info on the Apex, we enjoyed seeing it. I'm sure WRV will have one displayed at Homecoming. Looking forward to seeing all our ACA friends at Homecoming.
Thanks,
D&D Rich
Great Salt Lake Route
Old 09-12-2005, 09:33 AM   #13

Congratulations and best wishes, Basil and Sue. Thanks for the photos and all the information. For what it's worth, I'm with you 100% on your change orders, i.e., 3rd Coleman AC, 10K genset, tile front to back. But given the ubiquity of this feature, you and I are in the minority; I too find the sink in the toilet room a waste of space and would eliminate it in order to install the laundry there.

The hydraulic extending storage drawers look like a terrific idea-- makes accessing the space that you have so much easier. How nice not to have to crawl under the quad slide to find something.

From the photos, the "sanitation station" interested me. What's the purpose of that second opening white door? I don't see the valve pull handles-- are they using electric dump valves? Also is that just sewer hose storage in the lower right hand side, or are they using a "waste master" (not sure what it's called) dump hose (Winnebago, Petersen Industries, et al. use something like this,) where the sewer hose stays connected to the coach all the time, you just extend it out and retract it as needed, like a hose reel. Some are auto-rewind by compressed air, etc.

Short of going to heavier axles (or a 45 foot tag axle Peak chassis with Cummins ISX!), it looks like they've given as much CCC as they can, and --ask me, I know-- added features do gobble up your CCC. I wonder if 2000 pounds is enough CCC to use all the available space?!

Other desirable, relatively lightweight features for a wish list might include dual leveling where the coach levels either on its airbags (for Wallyworld) OR hydraulic jacks (for longer stays,) OnStar, digital touchpad keyless entry, etc.

Are you getting the residential (electric) refrigerator or the 2 way Dometic? Because I hear the highend Dometic fridge is self defrosting and offers ice and water in the door. Cheers!

2004 Alpenlite Venice
Old 09-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #14

Basil,
the pics are great as well as the changes that you are making to the coach. We already have done some but just might consider some of the others. Did they give you a delivery date on yours?

Datastorm #3481