Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #1

Exclamation APEX Smart Drawer Problems

The Driver Side Smart Drawers on my 2006 APEX have started not working at times. I can get them out using the sidewall mounted push buttons, but then they won't go back in--using either the push buttons or the bay mounted switches. They act like they are getting no power.
Is there a relay or some other breaker on these that may overheat and shut them down--the passenger side drawers work fine, as do the slide outs and the levelers. Just issues with the driver side drawers.
I've tried calling HWH--they want 4 to 7 days to call back--REALLY!!!
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Roger Allen
2006 APEX #75628
bairdallen@aol.com
760-777-2535
bairdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 03:11 PM   #2

I believe in an Apex (due to multiple actuation options including maybe silver leaf), drawer switches all report to a relay, 1 per drawer. There should be a bank of relays in the back center between frame rails by the rear HWH manifold that fulfill this function for rear slides & beds, and another in the HWH bay for front slides & beds. The rear slides & beds are usually controlled out of that rear manifold, and fronts are controlled out of the front.

Since the left side implies problems with both manifolds and two relays, I'm guessing it's a voltage problem or common ground, and not a relay. If it never happens with the engine running or when plugged in, could be batteries are low.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:49 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I was having problems with my front jacks and moved some relays to see if the problem moved when switching or exchanging relays.
I found the relays for the smart drawers are above the solenoids for the jacks. They run front to back, side by side (8 total) and are drawer specific or seem to be. If you remove them, be sure to replace them with the correct replacement, or put them back in the same position they were removed. I found the drawers didn’t work correctly (2 drawers moved together) if relays are put back in the wrong order.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #4

Update:
Thanks to Engineer Mike and APEX Owner Monty for their input and help.
Mike directed me to the rear HWH control box, pump and Relays located between the two main I beams of the coach frame. I don't think there is a more remote and difficult location to place electronic that need service--I would never have found them without Mike's help.

To get there required removing the back of the Smart Drawer just rear of the main coach entry door. Monty suggested that I only activate any HWH device on the APEX when the coach is connected to shore power or the generator is running--the devices require huge initial power to get them started and are voltage sensitive. Good Advise. Once there I talked with Monty and, as he suggested, I shut off both main shut-offs then removed each fuse and module, checked each and replaced them. I also "wiggled" the huge masses of wires located in the region. I crawled out--no easy task at my age--and check to see if the non-working drawers worked: The front drawer on the Driver's side did--worked fine. So I closed it while I had the chance. The rear drawer on the Driver's side did nothing. I crawled back in and did more "wiggling" Crawled out and check again--neither drawer worked. I'm thinking the problem is in the wiring--bad ground or ??? I will crawl back in next week and do more tightening and checking of the wiring. This is very frustrating and very time consuming. I would take the coach somewhere to have it worked on if I could get all the drawer shut and I knew someone that could fix it--not going to happen.
Thanks for everyone's input. I know when this is resolved I will love the coach again--at lease until the next unexpected and unexplainable issues appears.
bairdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:41 PM   #5

Allen- you can locate the extend & retract solenoid valves in the rear (I believe) manifold, open the valves manually using a 1/4" nut driver on the 1/4" brass hex nut on end of valve body between the wires (back out ~3.5 turns), and push the drawer shut. Then close the valves and you should be good to travel. If you need the drawer open and its not working under hydraulic power, you can undo the hex nylock nut below the drawer face, undo the respective extend & retract nuts & pull drawer open, close valves. Takes some horsepower but it works.

Also, I get into that area regularly w/out taking off back of smart bed; I extend one of the beds all the way out which leaves 18" of space between back of drawer & face of coach (assuming slide above is IN and not OUT). I put feet on ground between coach & rear of smart bed (stepping over the bed slide rail), sit down on basement floor facing outward, and lay down on back on basement floor looking up at the space junk I need to work on. Place your tools inside the compartment before you step in, or you'll have to get in & out as needed for tools. Also take a cool beverage if you'll be in there a while. Remember to duck when reclining backwards or when sitting back up, or wear a hard hat.

Tags
ems, problems