Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
Aqua Hot giving cold air in zone 1 living room

with the hydro hot furnace thermostat at 90 am all of a sudden getting cold air in zone 1, living room, and hot air in the bedroom. all lights on the AH are green. Maybe a thermostat problem? not sure where the sensor is but think it is the small sensor forward of the Air Conditioner.

Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
Try pulling the cover and tapping on the brass check valves to free them up. Had same problem and that was my solution.

Docschro98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, pull the cover and first make sure the pump for Zone 1 is running (should be able to see the impeller spinning thru the plastic cover. Or you can put your hand on the pump and feel it. If pump is running, tap on the check valve above it as recommended above.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
What they said. If the rest of the system is working fine but one station is blowing cold air then coolant (or in this case warmant?) isn't making it to the radiator in question. Either a) stir pump has stuck or b) stir pump has quit, or c) check valve is stuck. I had c once, and it only takes a slight rap on the brass valve to open it up if the stir pump was running. Never happened again.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:38 AM   #5
Melorene, can you post your model number? It's right on the cover of the AH unit.

Are the fans on the heat exchangers up front coming on and blowing cold air or not coming on at all?

As everyone mentions above, the check valve is generally the first place to start - they do stick sometimes especially if the unit hasn't been running for awhile, such as after an extended storage. On the AH units, zone 2 is both your (generally) rear zone and the stir pump combined.
94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
I have been using the AH for a month or so.. was fine until morning before last when we noticed only cold air coming out the front (1) and heat from the rear (2) ok. Now both give cold air. I have tapped both valves but only see about a 1/2 inch movement of spin indicator . added note, do have hot water ok.. all lights on are green also. The unit is a 450DE..thanks for the comments.. Mel
Old 03-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
Well, depending upon your technical troubleshooting abilities.... the AH manual should be available on their website.

If it were me, I would run the zone pumps with a jumpered ground on the blue wire to either pump - this bypasses any and all switches, thermostats and the fluid level sensor. If they run with bypassing, then it's easy to work backwards and determine the issue very quick. If neither run, which I highly doubt, it's possible both circulation pumps are bad.. albeit very improbable.
94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
Alpine Owners Club
All - the fluid in the HH units nees to be circulated into the heat exchangers about once a month all year long for them to keep working. The little magnetic motors driven circulation pumps get hung up if they are not run periodically. My rule of thumb is to run all systems for two hours a month each month of the year, HOW?

USing the generator to provide power, I run the heat in all zones to get the coach up to 90 or so, the start the A/C's set down to 65 to cool and then repeat the process one more time, this being done in the summer, I do the reverse in the winter, since I am in a warm climate, I cool down the coach to 65, the heat it up using the HH units twice to keep those circulation pumps working. Tapping on the circuation pumps will free then up, but once free you need to keep them that way.

If equipped with heat pumps, using them I heat up the coach, then switch over to cool and do that process twice a month, this keep sht reverse cycle switch in the a/c-heat pump lubricated up and it switch back and forth and keeps working.

Tapping on this will or should free it up, but then you got to know where it is and what it looks like.

Doing the above two hours a month also keep the genset up to snuff and keeps it exercised as well.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #9
thanks. I use it quite often so it doesn't sit unused very often. I am in contact with Orman Claxton, cert AH tech and we are meeting in Yellowstone and he is going to fix it for us.. have had AH on the phone also and followed their steps but still no resolve. have hot water ok and using port heaters.. will soon be in the house when contractors finish work in the kitchen. High tech stuff really sucks some times when it doesn't work right. May end up with a 5th wheel yet. ha. Mel