Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Diesel fuel is blended by the fuel farm, in the summer it is untreated #2 because it needs no anti-gel features, in the winter it's #2 with anti-gel properties, some places don't winterize until the first cold snap.

Put in fuel treatment (lots of argument here on it) every third tank fill-up, or just before you are going to sit for 3 weeks or longer, this is true especially in very cold or very warm climates. Fuel will gel at 32 F if not treated, and algae will grow in the summer time because of the humidity and heat. Only buy from places that pump a lot of fuel. Yes, generally truck stops are higher priced, but they pump thousands of gallons of fuel every day, and have drops twice or maybe three times a day to keep their tanks full. Not saying you cannot get a bad load of fuel but saying a "inch of prevention is worth a pound of cure" is my way of thinking. The fuel conditioner is around 8 - 9 dollars a quart, and it does a good job of keeping the algae out and the fuel from gelling. I have never had a fuel problem period, and that is the way I manage the diesel engines I have owned since the late 80's. Got a bad load of fuel one time in CA, and just drained the water/fuel separator and that fixed that issue. It was a contract Flying J station, marked it on the map and never went back to that one.

I have driven this year from Vancouver, WA to Atlanta, GA and almost back and living by that rule above have never had a problem with fuel. I had low temps in ATL to 7F and the diesel burner ran like a clock doing a reasonable job keeping the coach warm. Or you can experiment and have issues, your choice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 05:00 AM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi yes I agree with you but try #2 even treated 10 to 30 below in the by do hot book it tells you at a certain temp to run #1 ya and I have been in trucking and heavy equipment since the 60s in MN it get down to 40 below if you look at your filter for the Onan or gen it runs the hy dro hot to and I think is to small have good.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
I believe #1 diesel is considered fuel for a the farm (has red dye in it to show if it's being used in a over the road unit) #2 is either treated or untreated depending on time of year and weather. I don't remember what heating oil is called, it may be #1 and farm fuel may be #3.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:15 AM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No red fuel is off Rd or farm fuel or construction #1#2 and blended is for Rd fuel it has tax on them. Range fuel is home kerosene is another for small units like heaters call for it.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
In the state of California, the diesel pumps are labeled Diesel #1 and Diesel #2.

Diesel #2 includes road taxes and Diesel #1 does not. Diesel #1 has Red Dye in it so the CHP can tell if you are trying to avoid paying the road taxes and cheating the state government.

Don't get caught with Red Dye in your diesel tank in the state of CA. The fine is hefty.

Dr4Film ----- Richard