Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #1

AquaHot filter location

Annually while visiting the Hill Country of TX, there's one or more cold snaps. Each time, I seem to require a new AH filter due to gelling in the filter (in spite of putting diesel treatment in with a fresh tank before setting up camp).
Happened again last night - temps below freezing. Already had the filter wrapped with a cloth. Still when the local tech removed the filter, the gelling was obvious. While trying to figure out what to do to avoid it happening again, he commented that in other installations, he's seen the filter mounted in the AH compartment. He's going to take a look for suitable locations and give me a price for making the change in location.
Has anyone done this already? Let me know.
Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
Annually while visiting the Hill Country of TX, there's one or more cold snaps. Each time, I seem to require a new AH filter due to gelling in the filter (in spite of putting diesel treatment in with a fresh tank before setting up camp). Happened again last night - temps below freezing. Already had the filter wrapped with a cloth. Still when the local tech removed the filter, the gelling was obvious. While trying to figure out what to do to avoid it happening again, he commented that in other installations, he's seen the filter mounted in the AH compartment. He's going to take a look for suitable locations and give me a price for making the change in location. Has anyone done this already? Let me know. Thanks.
I've full timed in my coach (10 years old) for 7 years now. I spend some time every winter in East Tennessee with temps regularly below freezing. In temps down to the mid teens I've never had any AquaHot stoppage gelling or otherwise. I generally change the filter every two years. My filter is mounted next to the fuel tank which is an open unheated compartment.

Do you have a winter blend in your tank when this happens. I suspect that this is happening with straight #2 diesel. Sounds like you might be building up water in that filter. Try draining the bowl on the filter before a cold night.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:32 AM   #3

I have spent several winters in the hill country (Lake Buckhorn RV Resort). We have full timed in this coach since August of 2004.

I have not had any issues with the HH or its fuel filter related to temperature outside. I have had numerous HH issues though. Mainly mechanical. Motor, controller and the burner recall.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I have spent many cold days & nights (well below freezing) And over a dozen with temperatures below zero with out a gelling issue. However my fuel is from Michigan and Wisconsin where it is the winter blend.
Cookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would certainly try to relocate the filter to the AH compartment. My filter is there and, while it is pretty tight in there, I can still get to it for replacement and it stays warm.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #6

IIWMI'd address the gelling problem at the fuel tank w/additive. If Tom Cook can camp out in winter Michigan w/his HHot, anybody can.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #7

Mike and others - last AH filter lasted less than one cold day before gelling up - I should have stock in that filter company. We've (tech) has set up a by-pass for my tank/filter with 5 gal of fresh diesel in a container outside the AH compartment and piped into the unit. Of course, all works just fine. He's having my diesel tested tomorrow as we're now leaning in the algae in the fuel direction. If that's the diagnosis, I'll get some algaecide at the truck stop tomorrow and we'll start that treatment. More later.......
Old 12-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I would tend to believe that it is algae versus gelling diesel. In 10 years of full-timing in all types of weather down to mid teens I have had ZERO problems with my AH filters clogging up and failing. My AH filter is in the same compartment where my diesel fuel tank and LPG tank are located.

In fact those filters are a larger micron that you really don't need to change them yearly as suggested.

If it is algae you better get some new filters for your engine too and also your generator. You will most likely need a few of them as they will need to be changed a couple of times or more before the DEAD algae has been completely filtered out after the treatments.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #9

David,

I see you live in Ashland which is next to the California border, so I don't know how much diesel you buy in Oregon. I know you are a long from Oregon now. We have no choice in Oregon except to buy bio diesel. From my experience it will clean out the steel tank very good. When I first bought my Alpine, I went through 3 sets of fuel filters to clean out my tank. You still will have problems with bio diesel growing algae or whatever. At the recommendation of local fuel distributor, I always use Diesel Keene available at truck stops and Walmart. I have not had any problems since I started using it. All the fleet managers have problems with bio diesel and must treat their storage tanks.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat