Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #1

Six and a half months of delays,lies,and defects may (I hope I am not jinxing myself)have a ray of sunshine after all. Thanks to "Vic" from NJ and this forum 5 weeks ago I talked with JB Radiator Specialties and they agreed to build me a CAC; unfortunately when it came two weeks ago it failed a pressure test. Today (oh glorious day)Cummings Cal Pacific called to say another unit came in and PASSED the test. Next Tuesday we will start the resurrection process and maybe this Beast will fly again! Thanks again Vic.

Today I went up on the roof to find the 10 amp solar panel fried (black and lumpy). Where that wire goes that disappears into the roof I have no idea, but can I just cut a section of the wire out till the unit can be replaced or should the whole unit come off immediately? Will this affect the Batteries (charging cycle)?

In my other life as an International Captain if I had deluded myself about the acceptability the RV Industry"s model of quality control and reliability; would the seats have been full or ....? But today I have hope!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #2

Six and a half months of delays,lies,and defects may (I hope I am not jinxing myself)have a ray of sunshine after all. Thanks to "Vic" from NJ and this forum 5 weeks ago I talked with JB Radiator Specialties and they agreed to build me a CAC; unfortunately when it came two weeks ago it failed a pressure test. Today (oh glorious day)Cummings Cal Pacific called to say another unit came in and PASSED the test. Next Tuesday we will start the resurrection process and maybe this Beast will fly again! Thanks again Vic.

Today I went up on the roof to find the 10 amp solar panel fried (black and lumpy). Where that wire goes that disappears into the roof I have no idea, but can I just cut a section of the wire out till the unit can be replaced or should the whole unit come off immediately? Will this affect the Batteries (charging cycle)?

In my other life as an International Captain if I had deluded myself about the acceptability the RV Industry"s model of quality control and reliability; would the seats have been full or ....? But today I have hope!

Old 05-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #3

The audacity of hope. How timely.

I think you can take your choice on the solar. The wiring should be terminated somewhere below in a charge controller that prevents backfeed from the batt's to the panel. So if the panel is kaput its just another part w/no use. My controller is in the panel in the toilet room w/the 110/V panels; your panel may vary.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:04 AM   #4

I'd get rid of that 10 amp solar panel sooner than later. When mine looked like that it was determined by a technician that it was actually sucking juice from the batteries instead of charging them. I couldn't keep my batteries charged during non-use of the coach. Changed out the solar panel (not cheap, mind you) and the problem was solved. In retrospect I think it might have been cost-effective to bump up to a 100 amp unit at that time. Something to think about, especially if your coach sits un-tethered to shore power for lengthy periods or if you boondock.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
hax

Rick: When you replaced your solar panel did you find one that would fit in the original holes or did you have to put new holes in the roof? Mine died and I just cut the two wires and put another glob of lay-flat on them to hold them down, doesn't seem to effect anything. I have been looking for another 10amp panel that I could mount using the same holes, but so far I haven't found a panel. Do you know where I can get one? Thanks Hax

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:03 AM   #6

Rick - 100 amp solar panel...cool. That would start the coach, on a sunny day, if the batteries were removed. You don't mean 100 watt panel by any chance do you?
Old 05-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #7

You're right Steve- Start the coach, run both a/c's and probably take care of your neighbor too!!

Hax- I got the same kind or identical of different supplier and it went right back where the old one went. As I recollect my original was manufactured in Anaheim, CA, but I will dig out my receipt to confirm. I'm guessing (I hope) I went to a better quality panel. Hax, where are you located?
Old 05-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #8

I have US warranty and it covers only what is in the contract. It covers no adjustments, water intrution, gaskets, or loose electrical connections of any kind. This warranty seems to cover only thing that very rarely fail. It surly is not a replacement for a manufactures warranty. Out of four claims in a year period they paid one a water pump, leaving me with repair bills in excess of $2000. In my opinion its not worth the money they charge. If you feel you have to have it read the contract closly and ask questions and last but not least GET IT IN WRITING
Old 05-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #9

That's the difference between an "Exclusionary" and an "Inclusionary" policy. Inclusionary policies cover or include only those items and systems listed on the policy. An Exclusionary policy is essentially a "bumper to bumper" policy covering everything EXCEPT those items or systems (usually belts, light bulbs, fuses, etc) that are specifically excluded...Harold

Being pushed by a 2006
C&H from NorCal is offline   Reply With Quote