Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #1

Atwood Range Top

Problem:
Warped grates on the 3 burner Atwood range top.

Condition:
While using a 9" dia copper bottom pot to heat up some soup w/front burner "full on", one of the grids got cherry red, smelled like burning electrical insulation. Inspection with straight edge showed grids on either side of the 2 center grids on each grate had warped and were drooping. The cherry red on was in the worst condition. Has anyone else observed this condition and/or was aware of the mfg'er operation restrictions?

FYI:
Contacted Atwood about this condition and representative advised the following; "These grates will become warped and damaged if you are using a pan that is larger than 9" diameter. A large sized pan can trap excessive heat underneath. The grates will need to be replaced. Please call 866-869-3118 with your model number to order replacements or see your local RV dealer."

Comment:
It appears that even a 9" dia pot/pan is enough to damage the grate grids so some smaller dia may prevent damage. It appears a griddle would also promote damage. May be able to prevent grid damage if burner is modulated and not used "full on" with larger dia pots/pans or griddles. Has anyone else observed this condition and/or made aware of the mfg'er operation restrictions? .

BTF
05 40FDQS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2010, 12:09 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
My tenants do that all the time on their Kenmores. Answer is new grates or new tenants.

Pans that disperse heat better require a lower setting and will help with the grates. We cook a lot and have never ruined a grate, but I've seen plenty of folks that think all cooking starts with a blast of gas.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #3

Very interesting, when we contacted Atwood about this problem about a year ago, we were told that if we used a too small pan the grates would overheat and warp. I do know that if I get in a hurry an use a small pan to heat water quickly the grate turns bright red and I turn it off right away. I figure to replace the grate sometime but since it will be a continuing problem from what I see and hear, I am in no rush.
Gary & Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
The grates on my Atwood look like they have been through re-entry. I am considering something like this:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/index...OD&ProdID=1505

Or I have thought about getting a little more creative and trying something like this:

SEAWARD TWO BURNER CERAN GLASS TOP STOVE - Stoves & Cooktops by Discount Marine Supplies

Anyone out there have experience with either of these?
Old 01-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #5

Jeff & Kathy, I like the flatop with two burners but you might consider the AMP draw if you have a couple of A/C's running.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #6

I wonder if there would be demand for an after market heavy duty stainless steel version of the burner grate?
Seems to me it would dress up the stove a lot.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #7

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
[QUOTE=Refuse1;593985]The grates on my Atwood look like they have been through re-entry. QUOTE]

I read this and laughed out loud. Sounds like a discard from the Space Station that fell to earth. Hope they have better stuff than Atwood.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #8

Sounds like another project Emike.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Problem:
Warped grates on the 3 burner Atwood range top.

Condition:
While using a 9" dia copper bottom pot to heat up some soup w/front burner "full on", one of the grids got cherry red, smelled like burning electrical insulation. Inspection with straight edge showed grids on either side of the 2 center grids on each grate had warped and were drooping. The cherry red on was in the worst condition. Has anyone else observed this condition and/or was aware of the mfg'er operation restrictions?

FYI:
Contacted Atwood about this condition and representative advised the following; "These grates will become warped and damaged if you are using a pan that is larger than 9" diameter. A large sized pan can trap excessive heat underneath. The grates will need to be replaced. Please call 866-869-3118 with your model number to order replacements or see your local RV dealer."

Comment:
It appears that even a 9" dia pot/pan is enough to damage the grate grids so some smaller dia may prevent damage. It appears a griddle would also promote damage. May be able to prevent grid damage if burner is modulated and not used "full on" with larger dia pots/pans or griddles. Has anyone else observed this condition and/or made aware of the mfg'er operation restrictions? .

BTF
05 40FDQS
After about 4 years of fulltiming in our rig..we experenced the same thing on our Atwood stove. Redneck country boy I am....I took the grates out on some straight concrete slab and set the grates face down and used a hammer to "finesse" the grate back into shape with some easy taps. The outside runners are low and the center runner is high. Lasted until we traded it in last November. Cheap fix and worked OK rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:34 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Jeff:

I like that Suburban unit and would likely go for the all propane unit, but those grates look like the pans would easily tip over. I can't believe Atwood, Dometic, Amana or Suburban haven't put out a good sealed-burner unit. That Suburban is pretty close (sans grates).