Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #15

Thanks for chiming in!

Did your coach have the plasma before the Bravia? Did you modify the cabinet?

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Anaheim Hills, CA
Jim&MaryJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
The Bravia will switch between internal speakers and external audio, one working at a time, or both. It has a built in TV guide and a lot of other nice features; I set mine up to go from Sat to Surround audio and also video and sound to TV. (HDMI) That way Viv can operate the TV with 1 remote and not use the surround system. I also like to listen to Sat radio through the surround system and have the TV off.

I completely removed the old cabinets and built new ones, adding side cabinets over driver and passenger side windows. My coach had a 20" set in the right corner over the passenger seat.
My Bravia extends 23 1/2" from the top and is only 2" more than my old set. The visibility is fine.

Jim & Vivian
2007 Alpine Apex
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #17
Originally posted by Jim&MaryJo:
I'm thinking you should be able to make the existing mount work or modify it. Ya might want to look behind the Sharp to get an idea of how it mounts and whether it --at least-- looks similar, before taking the plunge.

Should be no problem making the newer DTV Recvr work; actually I'd expect the cabling to be HDMI,much simpler.

One simplicity feature with the Sony sound system is the liklihood that its remote will also control the new Sony TV.

In order for the new Bravia to run audio thru the existing Kenwood, the Bravia must have audio out (likely). If it does, the Bravia may switch between internal speakers and external audio, one working at a time, just have to check.

The Kenwood can probably take an audio in from the Sat Rvcr too, that may be how it's cabled now.

The Bravia extending lower shouldn't impair visibility much, but might get in the way when boarding. My 04 has a foam pad corner and it has saved me pain, I'm sure.

Sounds like you're on the right track!
Jim- I'm TOO familiar with that bracket, as I was the "techs" muscle when he was working on the system. I'll have to take another look, but I think I can just lower the bracket a couple of inches. The corner of the TV isn't a problem while boarding as I have a mid-door, but that doesn't mean I didn't put the rubber corner pad on to keep from cracking my head every time I got near it.
Rick Coleman
'05 Alpine 36MDDS
Rick Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #18
Alpine Owners Club
Since you like your bedroom system, you might consider going with a relatively inexpensive RSS (Really Simple System) approach upfront. Satellite + DVD + Monitor. Forget about park cable hookups, off-the-air broadcasts, surround sound, and multiple components that require a Harmony controller to retain your sanity. Don't even waste your money on Blu-Ray since it is being "leap-frogged" by movies on demand via the Internet.

You need the new DirecTV HR21-700 receiver (which does not have an off-the-air tuner), a DVD player that can upscale and has HDMI output, and a 1080P monitor with a minimum of two HDMI inputs (the more the better). You use one HDMI cable from the HR21 to the monitor and one HDMI cable from the DVD player to the monitor. YOU ARE DONE! The HR21 remote will also control the DVD player and the monitor.

Your current sat dish may not give you HD but when the costs of upgrading come down to a more reasonable level-- you will be 90% ready for full-time HD (contrary to an earlier post-- most popular channels on DirecTV are available in HD).

And lastly, I am not familiar with the floor plan of your Alpine, but a nice 42 inch Vizio might well fit quite nicely somewhere in your living room and you don't have to sit sideways to see it. The old TV spot could then hold some plants or some fish.

2001 Alpine 36 FDDS 350 SeaGreen/Mendocino 74263
Oregon Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #19
Norm- I hadn't really considered an aquarium, but it would be much simpler than A/V. I might, however, get a good bath every time I started off or braked hard. I don't really have another realistic spot for a TV, but I remember seeing an Country Coach Magna 630 that had a very cool large screen TV that electrically lifted from a cabinet against a side wall. It was outstanding- disappeared when not watching.
I also have a friend with a Holiday Rambler that has a large flat screen that is hinged at the top and folds up against the ceiling when not being used. Also very cool.
Rick Coleman
'05 Alpine 36MDDS
Rick Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #20
Norm- The Harmony alone isn't sufficient to reclaim sanity. For that, go to Parental Controls, choose Block Channels, go to "news networks", then Select All, choose Apply, then Exit. Then cancel your subscription to the New York Times, and voila- insanity gone, peace and quiet restored. Now that's true harmony!!

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote