Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
One thing I'
ve noticed, if I set the gen start voltage too high, a big inverter load, such as a coffee pot on hair dryer, will cause the genny to fire up. 11.2 volts for 5 minutes seems good.

I set the run time to 2 hours. plenty to get the batteries back up.

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #16
Alpine Owners Club
Monaco MH's are different than Alpines, but Thank you for the information.

Dave - If you need the manual, check www.alpinecoachassociation.com and the tech library for it, if it's not there, send me PM, I have the manual and can mail it to you so attach your e-mail to that PM.

Since you have the SE, (Unless you have the Silverleaf option then you need that manual as well) you have the control panel mentioned in the manual, so you would then follow those instructions for how to setup the AGS, low voltage and high voltage. My 8 house batteries also run our residential fridge all night long as well. AGS usually starts the genset and it runs for about 5 minutes then shutdown or sometimes it keeps running. I have other SL issues, and will most likely ask them to send me new control unit (need to send me fresh water tank sensor as well) and I will mail back the old one, hopefully this will cause this issue to disappear. FWIW Your signature should be 40 MDTS, FDTS, FDQS which stands for mid door/front door triple/quad slide. I can look up you coach then in my brochure file and see exactly what and where stuff should be located. However, I am not as familiar with the quad slides as EM is, so he can help you too.

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
Alpine Owners Club

Be aware that my coach, and several (possibly most Alpine) coaches had an issue with the AGS set to the ON position for a Cooling call. It would start the genset whether it had shore power or not. I had a relay installed near the transfer switch to bypass the call if shore power was present.

Xantrex claims this is an Alpine issue (why???) but that Monaco programming worked correctly.
2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #18
Alpine Owners Club
Maybe this was corrected in later units I don't know.

FWIW-The order of priority for 120VAC power is as follows:
1. Genset – if no shore power is present, and 120VAC is needed, AGS set to on.
2. Shore power present.
3. Inverter load to supply as needed until batteries reach low set limit, it's then assumed AGS will pickup and supply AC power and charge batteries until they are charged to upper limit setting. At which point AGS shuts down genset, and inverter then handles load, blah, blah, and blah.

Now, I have not "armed my thermostat" so I don't know if it works. I don't have pets so I don't worry how hot it gets inside the coach if I’m not home, unless we want it cool upon our return and not have to "fight to cool it down" we sometimes start AC with high/low fan setting so the fan runs continuously, then as needed the compressor then the compressor starts and stops as needed. This is less stressful on the a/c units, and on the incoming power. Our rule of thumb is: 80-89F rear ac on low fan cool. 90+ both a/c's on low fan cool. If it's in the high 90's or higher, we move it to high fan speed cool, or move to a cooler location. We did have to run genset one time in park when voltage dropped below 108VAC because it was so hot all those pesky RV’ers were using up the power, now how about those apples.

FWIW#2 - It's a good idea to cycle the genset monthly regardless of if you need it or not, it keeps the water out of the oil (condensation) and keeps the contacts on the armature clean from corrosion. Two hours monthly at half load is the recommended application.

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote