Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Automatic start for the gen set

if i have the auto start for the generator turned on at the xantrex monitor screen shouldnt the gen set start up when i disconnect the shore power? or do i have to have the ags turned on at the ac thermostat too?

dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 03:36 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Dennis,

Turning the old AGS System "On" enables it for use. There are only 2 - ways it will automatically start the generator: 1) the house battery voltage drops to 11.5V for 15 - seconds, or 2) the DuoTherm Control "AGS" zone is set to "On" and temperature setting(s) is requiring one or more of the AC units to turn on.

My DuoTherm Control did start the generator when I tested it. However, I couldn't get the generator to turn off when not requiring AC so I manually shut it off which causes an error condition (easily correctable).

I never got the generator to start due to low voltage because of being reluctant to let the house batteries get that low. This is why I think the old AGS System SUCKS! The new Xantbus AGS is awesome!.

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Dennis,

After double checking the AGS System manual, the remote control needs to be in "Auto" mode to automatically start the generator due to low voltage or AC. You need to make sure that "Quiet Time" mode is NOT active or set correctly to allow the generator to start. The AGS System will run the generator for a minimum of 2 - hours which is why I manually stopped it during my test.

NOTE: The time settings are another area where the old AGS SUCKS! (Do you know how I feel about this yet?!)
Old 06-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
bcbowers, i have the ags set to auto and qt off. but when i unplug the shore power the generator is not starting. Is there some other setting im missing?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
bcbowers, yes i can see how you feel about the system. lol!
Old 06-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismhamm View Post
bcbowers, i have the ags set to auto and qt off. but when i unplug the shore power the generator is not starting. Is there some other setting im missing?
In addition to having no shore power the system has to meet either the need for the batteries to be charged or the ambient temperature in the coach above the AC set point and the AC on. It will not start just because there is a loss of shore power.

The easiest way to test the system is to first set the generator auto start to automatic. Then disconnect the shore power. Finally set the AC to 5* or more below the current temperature inside the RV and turn the thermostat to cool.

If everything is working properly the generator should start within a couple minutes (depending on how long the delay time is set). After the generator starts it should take another minute or so before the AC starts.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Dennis,

There are no other settings. You need the DuoTherm Control AGS zone & the AGS Remote Control set per the previous posts and Hikerdog is correct about what should happen. The only question is "Are you going to let the house batteries drop to 11.5V?". I would not. I would stick to using the AC for testing the AGS.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
bcbowers, you are correct. when i set ags to auto on the display and on the ac thermostat and then unplug the coach from shore power the gen set will start up. but when i plug back into shore power the gen set will shut off with out manually turning it off. I guess there is no fix for this?
Old 06-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I'm not following the actual problem. If the AGS started automatically when the AC required it then that's the way it works. I've never tried turning shore power back on after the AGS automatically started but it sounds right to me. Why would the AC continue needing the generator when standard A/C is available. I assume that the AC keeps running because if not then that's a problem.

I also assume that the generator starts manually even when powered by shore power. Mine does although I normally don't operate it under that condition.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismhamm View Post
bcbowers, you are correct. when i set ags to auto on the display and on the ac thermostat and then unplug the coach from shore power the gen set will start up. but when i plug back into shore power the gen set will shut off with out manually turning it off. I guess there is no fix for this?
That's the way it's supposed to work. Once the AGS senses that the shore power has returned it shuts the generator off. On our motorhome if the generator is started manually it will continue to run even when shore power is returned. The transfer switch gives priority to the generator.

You'll also find there is a minimum runtime. If the generator is started automatically to charge the batteries it will remain running a minimum of 10 minutes (default setting) after the batteries have reached the set point voltage if shore power doesn't return. If it's started automatically to run the AC it will also remain running for a minimum of 10 minutes (default setting) after the set point temperature is reached if shore power doesn't return. This is done to minimize short cycling of the generator and insure the batteries are fully charged and/or the temperature remains at the set point.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:17 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
bcbowers, sorry. i left out that it will not shut off without manually turning of the gen set
Old 07-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Dennis,

The manual says that once the generator is started automatically, it will run for a minimum of 2 - hours. If the batteries do not charge to 13.5V at the end of the 2 - hour period, then it will run for an additional 2 - hours.