Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

AV Wiring 2003 Alpine 38 FDDS

Would appreciate some help in how to wire the following.

Currently just interested in off-air TV, park cable TV hookup and perhaps in the future replace the DVD with a working one.

There is no 12 VDC to the batwing, so no boosted signal, though the Wingard VS-0604/6412 does have 12 VDC in. Previous owner removed their Satellite receiver and perhaps did not reconnect remaining components correctly:

Panasonic Plasma TV (analog)(front)
Toshiba analog TV/VCR (rear)

Zenith converter box

Winegard VS-0604/6412. Have 12 VDC in.

Winegard rooftop batwing antenna

DHS Surround sound system

Remove non-functioning components unless needed to support above:
DVD playerToshiba SD-3960
VCR Toshiba VHS W522

No satellite receiver

If you happen to have a diagram or have recently addressed your "rats nest", please post or feel free to PM.

Thanks.

Brett

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #2

Also a separate "A/B" switch just to the right of the VCR. Function unknown.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #3

AV wiring on Alpines underwent a major "upgrade" after the 03s--lots of AV switches added. Should be an on air 12v booster somewhere up front--on side wall in compartment above drivers seat or behind TV, on bulkhead above windshield pillar. Challenge with TV in bedroom is that it is wired with coax only so need to isolate on-air over-run signal from satellite box [channel 3 or 4]--perhaps via the A/B switch??????? Could run HDMI to back but will need HDMI cable booster for anything much over 20 ft....or a second sat box.....interested to hear how WIFI or Bluetooth TVs work these days....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #4

The Winegard VS-0604/6412 has built in the antenna booster. In fact, its manual specifically says that you should NOT use an external antenna booster.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #5

Brett,

You need more than a wiring diagram!

The plasma is a monitor, and has no tuner. The VCR is used as the tuner. And the old VCR is not digital, so it will no longer work for OTA. You need a digital tuner.

The A/B switch is to switch between the roof satellite dish and an auxiliary satellite dish. Mine was midwifery at the factory.

You are correct about the Winegard box providing the booster power. The the ANT IN port on the switchbox for the 12 volts.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:15 PM   #6

Oops! Now is see you have the converter box. Connect the composite video output and stereo audio output from the converter to the plasma composite video and stereo inputs on the plasma. The plasma does not have a coax input.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #7
hax

Brett, I just went through this. I pulled out the Winegard selector box, it is the power amp for the bat wing antenna but had lots of noise. I replaced it with another Winegard amp that fits in a standard electrical box and I mounted it in the cabinet over the driver seat. The one I bought had two TV input an output terminals. I had two input coax cables coming into this cabinet. Park Cable, and from the bat wing, in addition, another cable went to TV 2. The satellite input comes down behind the TV. I put in a flat screen TV that uses HDMI cables as well as coax. I have Dish and a 211k receiver box. That box will allow you to hook up an OTA antenna. So the input from my bat wing goes to that box. The 211k receiver and the Blue Ray player connect to the TV with HDMI cables and through the TV you can select HDMI 1 or HDMI 2. I used the coax output on the 211k to go to TV 2. I connected a DVD to TV 2 with an HDMI cable.
Some of the new TVs don't control the sound volume at the RCA jacks on the back of the TV. If your TV doesn't, you will get blasted out by the DHS system or will not be able to hear your TV. Luckily the Samsungs that I bought at COSCO had volume control at the RCA jacks.
I have a wire trace device that puts an input on a coax cable and pen that allows you to trace the cable. It helps to decipher the nest behind the TV. The cable connection on my curb side came up to the Satellite.
PM if you have more questions.

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:15 PM   #8

Thanks, HAX. That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for.

At this point, I really don't know how much of the OE equipment I will be able to use and how much I will have to replace.

Will start on the project this fall-- currently on the road up north to escape the summer heat in Texas. Most of my tools are at home.

What model Samsungs did you buy?

Brett
Old 08-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #9

Brett,

There was a recent post on here by somebody who replaced the plasma screen with a 40" Samsung LED from Sam's Club. Perfect fit according to him. It will have HDMI inputs that will allow much easier cableing. You can probably get rid of the Winegard switch box.

The Winegard SensarPro signal meter is a great addition for over the air reception. Adding the Wingman will help reception on UHF channels, where many of the OTA channels are located.

C2G brand mini-coax makes wiring coax connections easier. They come in various lengths. Solid Signal makes mini-HDMI cables. Both are much more flexable and easier to bend and route in the cabinet.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #10

I have replaced every component in my entertainment center at least once! I currently have a Panasonic home-theater-in-a box Blu-ray surround sound system, a Directv Genie DVR, and an EPVision OTA DVR. I have the newer HD version of the 37" Panasonic plasma monitor, which is now no longer in production. It has HDMI inputs that yours does not have. The winegard box and VCR were discarded long ago.

The OTA DVR includes a "media player". I have my DVD's on a hard drive connected to the DVR.

Tags
wiring