Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #1

Are there any Alpine Coach "Avalanche" owners with higher mileage? I am interested in anyone who has had their Avalanche for a few years.
Were you able to get the problems worked out?
Alpine only produced the Avalanche for a couple years. 04 and 05 I think...
Thanks
Andy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #2

Are there any Alpine Coach "Avalanche" owners with higher mileage? I am interested in anyone who has had their Avalanche for a few years.
Were you able to get the problems worked out?
Alpine only produced the Avalanche for a couple years. 04 and 05 I think...
Thanks
Andy

Old 07-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #3

We have a 2005 Avalanche and we're the first time owners but have only had it since July 2006. I wish I could say the problems go away but they haven't and we have over 30K miles on it now. The slides won't stay adjusted, the paint continues to peel, We just had to replace the inverter which fried itself as we were going down the road and they are installing a new radiator this week because they couldn't fix the leak in the old one. I still love my AV but wish it would stop causing me so many problems.

2005 Alpine Avalanche
Fly'n Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:57 AM   #4

We just finished a ten day trip. Were celebrating our first trip without anything breaking!! These coaches look awesome, drive awesome, and are configured great. Just hope I have all the bugs worked out. My small leak was fixed by re-sealing the end cap. Luckily I caught it with just some small condensation.
I would love to hear from you again after as you run up the mileage. I will do the same.
Andy
Old 07-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #5

I too have an Avalanche, mine is a 2004 that we purchased new in 2004. We have had a fair share of problems with it that is for certain. The first year we spent a week in the rain camping and found that it leaked from front to back. Turns out that WRV installed the roof, but forgot somehow to seal it. They did perform all of the required refurbishment. The next year, it leaked again, once more, they performed numerous repairs in order to restore the coach to as new condition. All told, I would estimate that WRV has absorbed a minimum of 80K in warranty expenses on this coach!

We hope that all of the major bugs are worked out by now. The last few trips have been without incident or failure. I agree, this coach drives like a dream and the floorplan is exactly what we wanted. I considered trading it, but I keep hoping that the problems are behind us and the coach will serve us well for several years to come.

Good luck to the other Avalanche owners out there!
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:13 PM   #6

I still have hope but must say it gets tested every time we take a trip. We're on our 3rd Inverter in less than 2 months and now it's dead. Hubby rewired to bypass it after we were told they coudln't find a replacement and it would be a couple of weeks before they could get one in. Any other Avalanche or Alpine owners out there with Inverter problems?

Fly'n Paws
2005 Alpine Avalance

2005 Alpine Avalanche
Old 07-25-2007, 07:35 AM   #7

I am told by my mechanic that both the generator and the inverter are "undersized" for these large coaches. Most coaches of this size come with at least 7500 generators. Mine has a 5500. Not sure but I think you can put a larger inverter on board whenever you replace the old one. My coach has the residential fridge which I'm sure puts a huge load on the inverter. When dry camping the inverter is working overtime to run the fridge.
Did you have the fuel gage problem where it beeps whenever it gets below 3/4 tank?
Andy
Old 07-25-2007, 09:19 AM   #8

Absolutely undersized for the amount of draw they get from a coach of that size. Upgrading the inverter isn't easy as we're told it would require a lot of re-wiring. Funny thing is that our first inverter lasted several years and now we're working on #4. We do have a fuel BEEP but it's so inconsistent we haven't figured out what triggers it. It can happen any time full to empty. Another serious issue we have that WRV won't stand behind is a horrible paint peeling problem.

Fly'n Paws
2005 Alpine Avalanche

2005 Alpine Avalanche
Old 07-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #9

Keep me posted on the inverter saga. I would like to know how the issue turns out.
Good luck.
Andy
Old 07-25-2007, 01:50 PM   #10

I had a recall on the inverter, have not had any problems since the new one was installed. In regards to the beep in the fuel gage, it is due to the tank not having any baffles! WRV replaced my fuel tank a while back and the problem is solved.
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:01 PM   #11

Do you have any information on your recall. I checked and couldn't find anything on the internet.

Fly'n Paws
2005 Alpine Avalanche

2005 Alpine Avalanche
Old 08-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #12

Coach is back home again, this time they "assured" us the inverter issues were over. A tech at Onan worked with our local Cummins service center who really doesn't know much about coaches and they hope the problems were solved by rewiring some of the generator to change the load. They also said to be sure to keep the area aroundthe inverter open for lots of air to circulate around it, especially around the bottom where the fan is located. We really didn't have that much stored near it to begin with so doubt that was the problem. We're heading out this weekend to dry camp so it should give it a good test.

Fly'n Paws
2005 Alpine Avalanche
2001 Dodge Dakota Toad (shopping for new one)
3 pups and us

2005 Alpine Avalanche