Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
A good one has come up for sale. As only 42 Avalanches where made what do you think, the price is right and I have a very good shop here in town.Western is not new to me as I have had a 5th wheel from 97 and still have it. They did not sell well. What do you think

Dwight Warner
04 38 FDTS
St. George Ut
Stone Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Just my $.02:
If I needed a liver transplant,
and I got a new liver & the operation for free, but
in exchange I had to own an Avalanche-
I'd pass.

A joke I heard at the factory: "WRV made 24 Avalanches, and Doyle bought 25 of them back." I'm sure some have been worked over sufficiently to kill all the bugs. But with the bargains available in today's market there are more solid, less chancy rigs. This is entirely my opinion, YMMV. The opinions expressed here are solely those of the author, and not of management, labor, partisans, non-partisans, patriots, expatriates, the New England Patriots, Yogi Berra, or Yogi Bear.

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
I agree with Mike, but I bet the local shop would be very happy!
Paul "Sully" Sullivan

40' MD Apex
Paul "Sully" Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #4

Don't sugar coat it, what do you really think??

But I agree, I would definitely pass. In this market there are too many good deals on much better coaches.

Now if I OWNED the local shop....
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Avalanche is a good name!
Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
Having bought one new and going thru the pain of attempting (without ever being fully successful) of getting it fixed, I would urge you to walk away from any Avalanche. Mine had the interior cabinets replaced 3 times due to water leaks, the front jacks moved behind the axle, the slide toppers and seals replaced, the carpet replaced 3 times etc. etc. On the way to trade it for the Apex (and we spent a lot of time and effort working a deal with WRV participation prior to their closure), it continued to leak in the rain yet again, the basement storage was never water tight and several other issues cropped up.

WRV had a great idea, they just had very poor engineering and implementation on the Avalanche. I have met many owners (most former now) of these coaches and have yet to meet one that was even near happy regardless of what they paid for the thing. What attreacted us was the floorplan, and I still like the floorplan, so I guess there is one thing I liked about the Avalanche!
2006 Alpine Apex 40 FDQS
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
2000 Vette for the track
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
We're the proud owners of an Avalanche (05) and we love it. Yes, we had some issues the first year but we had those with our Fleetwood, our Winnie, and our other Alpine. I don't know of anyone who bought a new RV without some issues. We had no major leaks (except when my hubby forgot to drain the water before the first hard freeze), we did have some generator issues but those were fixed under warranty by Cummins, we also had some paint issues that WRV fixed shortly after we bought it. Other than the usual loose bolts, jiggled loose wires and other minor repairs we've had no problems and know a few other AV owners who feel the same. I TOTALLY LOVE the layout which was why be bought it. To anyone who can get one for a good deal I say have someone check it over and go for it, most of the problems should have been fixed by now.
Fly'n Paws in Colorado
Fly'n Paws

2005 Alpine Avalanche
Fly'n Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
We had one for a few months back in 2005. We spent the first six weeks at the dealer while they tried to fix things. They gave up. We worked with Western RV to get us a deal on a Limited. We called ours the "Titanic". I personally thanked Ron when they euthanized the line. I would highly recommend your getting a Yugo instead, if that option is available.

Jerry & Shirley Friedman; Dusty & Cricket
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
2015 Mobile Suites 38RSSB3
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote