Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
Avg. MPG Reset

I have an 05 FDTS. Can the average MPG readout on the speedo unit be reset to 0? I have tried every conceiveable combination of pushing the two rubber buttons at the bottom of the speedo dial. I read somewhere that it is not possible to reset it as it updates automatically every 50 miles or so. I just didn't want to be looking at an average covering the last 30K miles. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Mike

Wrinklemeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No it can not, at least not without special tools.

However it only averages the last 50 miles. So just drive.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
No it can not, at least not without special tools.

However it only averages the last 50 miles. So just drive.
If that's true (only last 50 miles averaged) then mine's broken because it hasn't budged even a tenth of a mpg since I got the coach 3 years ago. That includes driving with/without a toad and over varied terrain. I always figured the average mpg was for the life of the motor -- hence, once you got 20-30K miles on the rig, the average was unlikely to move, unless you had a problem with the engine.
Jaime & Dave (and our 3 cocker spaniels)
2005 Alpine Coach 36FDTS w/ 2009 Honda CR-V, Doran TPMS, Roadmaster Towbar, US Gear Braking
Dave and Jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:24 AM   #4
Th Engine ECU keeps track of MPG and mileage since the engine was new. I happen to have the Silver leaf CL 400 display in my 05 and it shows rolling MPG and instantaneous MPG. 3 trip meters that track MPG and MPG since day one along with numerous other data since the engine was born. The Atica gage also has an MPG display but I never look at it.
Wayne & Kathy
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
On Alpines the average is lifetime, not last 50 miles. Workhorse also uses Actia for gauge clusters and probably has different configurations.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:11 AM   #6
Alpine Owners Club
The average MPG is lifetine and is maintained by the ECM. I was getting a check engine light and Cummins replaced it. Now I'm starting over with a new average. NOTE: If you ever change the ECM make sure to get a full print out of the engine history, as all will be reset and history lost.

Tom & Marilyn Anteau
2009 Alpine 36 MDDS 425hp #75798
Anchorage, AK
Taxguy is offline   Reply With Quote