Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
On our 2002 38FDDS the awning motor quit. After playing for a while I managed to get the awning retracted. Our coach has the Dometic A&E One-Step awning. I performed diagnostics checking the fuses (including in the control box) and have detected both +12 and -12 volts (+extend and -retract) at the motor terminals, definitely pointing to the motor as the problem. Unfortunately this model is no longer used and has been replaced using the A&E Weather Pro. I have been searching for a replacement motor for my One-Step with no luck. I have contacted Dometic with not very desirable results, little help in identifying the awning and its parts or finding a diagram of how the awning is assembled. Because I can't find a replacement motor I would like to pull the motor and bring it to a motor repair shop (hopefully only brushes). I am concerned with pulling the motor for I think the awning tube is spring loaded. I get conflicting advice. RV repair people tell me it is not spring loaded because that would counter the motor operation. The A&E documentation describing emergency retraction (awning extended needing to be retracted for travel) talk about having a second person with an awning pull down strap holding the unit extended while removing the motor, then gradually releasing the strap to return the awning to the travel position. I need help, advice, in finding drawings and documentations or suggestions as to how this awning is assembled. Now that I have my awning retracted I can travel, but I can't enjoy my awning when I set-up. Thanks for you help and guidance in advance.
RedHotSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
On our 2002 38FDDS the awning motor quit. After playing for a while I managed to get the awning retracted. Our coach has the Dometic A&E One-Step awning. I performed diagnostics checking the fuses (including in the control box) and have detected both +12 and -12 volts (+extend and -retract) at the motor terminals, definitely pointing to the motor as the problem. Unfortunately this model is no longer used and has been replaced using the A&E Weather Pro. I have been searching for a replacement motor for my One-Step with no luck. I have contacted Dometic with not very desirable results, little help in identifying the awning and its parts or finding a diagram of how the awning is assembled. Because I can't find a replacement motor I would like to pull the motor and bring it to a motor repair shop (hopefully only brushes). I am concerned with pulling the motor for I think the awning tube is spring loaded. I get conflicting advice. RV repair people tell me it is not spring loaded because that would counter the motor operation. The A&E documentation describing emergency retraction (awning extended needing to be retracted for travel) talk about having a second person with an awning pull down strap holding the unit extended while removing the motor, then gradually releasing the strap to return the awning to the travel position. I need help, advice, in finding drawings and documentations or suggestions as to how this awning is assembled. Now that I have my awning retracted I can travel, but I can't enjoy my awning when I set-up. Thanks for you help and guidance in advance.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #3

Soup- I'd suggest contacting a local RV supply place, probably billed as trailer supply, in yellow pages (might actually do some good @ CW), to order the motor.

If anybody has the awning manuals for the One-Step, we could post them on the ACA Tech page.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Soup,

I replaced an awning motor with very little effort. I don't recal it being spring loaded, but if you think it is, it's easy to secure it from winding up. It turned out on my rig that the insulation on one of the wires was gone and causing a short. IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL!!

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I had a similar problem, with the same symptoms. Coach Care worked at it three times and replaced the "brain" mounted under the coach. No go.

I could reverse the wires at the motor and get it to retract, then reverse the wires again to extend.

The problem was how the "brain" works. I simply replaced the "brain" with Bosch relays and it works perfectly, everytime. Lower tech, less problems.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks guys for the posts. Hi Vagabondman, was your motor replacement on a One-Step awning? When you replaced the motor was the awning extended or retracted? Where did you find the motor? I checked the circuits and determined the motor was the culprit, I get both a +12 and -12 volts at the motor terminal, eliminating the control box and I think the insulation. I will do an extensive review to see if the wire insulation is a potential problem. I had the coach at an RV shop and they scared me, and could not help finding a motor or determine if the awning was spring loaded.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:22 AM   #7

IF...your motor is external of the awning tube,mounted above the forward awning arm, you can get a replacement awning motor assembly thru Dometic that has been updated to fit inside the awning tube. These external motors were prone to failure due to the increased exposure to the elements. In the past it has required changing the opposite side assembly also because it throws the awning off center. We have not replaced these motors for probably a year or two so I cannot say for sure that this is still the case, but here in the Pacific Northwest, we have seen plenty of these "exposed" motor failures in the past. If this is indeed what you have, you've done better than most I've seen. If it is not subject to our type of weather, rebuilding the motor at an electric motor rebuild place may be your most economical option, just be advised that due to the design, the lifespan of the motor is limited.
Jim Jussila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Red Hot -

My awning was on a '98 model and internal to the awning tube in the front end. You have to have the awning extended to acces the motor - which I got from WRV under warranty (that doesn't help you much). If you remove the awning arms and access the motor, you will be able to see if the wires are the culprit.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
The awning motor is external from the tube. Jim, is the awning arm/motor assembly from Dometic replacement a do-it-yourself project? Do you know if the OneStep awning is spring loaded? Can I simply pull the motor without springing the springs? I am inclined to have the motor rebuilt if I could get it out and reinstalled without losing the top of my head.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:01 AM   #10

The motor is not spring loaded, the opposite side is, but you shouldn't have to deal with that part if you are just pulling the motor side off. What you will have to be careful of is the pressure from the hydraulic/gas charged shock that aids the arm in extension. Once the entire motor assembly is removed from the awning tube, there will be nothing keeping the arm from ROCKETING to the extend position!! It will not only remove you from your ladder, but likely place you on the opposite side of your neighbor's camping spot! You may want to look the assembly over closely to make sure the motor cannot be removed without dislocating the entire assembly. We have never replaced a motor only on these units, so I cannot say that it isn't possible. I believe the entire assembly will have to come off to remove the motor, but I could easily be mistaken. I believe the gear that is driven by the motor is pressed on the opposite side of the assembly casting, requiring the removal in its entirety. You will have to:
1. Plan on staying wherever you are until the motor is rebuilt and reinstalled.
2. Run the awning out about 6-12", If the motor doesn't want to run out, strike it with a dead blow or rubber mallet. (That usually wakes them from the dead for a couple runs!)
3. Restrain the arm assembly with several sets of plastic wire ties by looping them around the backside of the hardware, you may have to gently pry the base of the arm away from the coach body, but it should be semi-floating there. Restrain the opposite side also for added safety.
4. Drill out the pop rivets holding the assembly to the awning tube and remove the bolt attaching the assembly to the top of the awning arm. NOTE, YOU WILL NEED TO SUPPORT THE AWNING TUBE WITH SOME TYPE OF PROP OR A LADDER, as there will be nothing supporting that end of the awning once the motor assembly is pulled loose.
5. Reverse the steps to reinstall.

Good Luck with your project. One other note: If you decide to go the other route and get the replacement assemblies to update to the newer motor (inside the tube) Make sure you specify which hardware you have. Older style versus newer style. i.e. older style hardware has more of a box shape and the newer style has more of a curved "W" shape. It will make a difference on the casted part that bolts to the top of the awning arm. If you are in doubt, look at someone else's newer style arm. I would assume that you have the boxier looking hardware.

Jim J.
Jim Jussila is offline   Reply With Quote