Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #15

I have just experienced a new wrinkle in the awning wars. We were gone for a short time and it wasn't windy. I KNOW I shouldn't have left the awning out, but there was no indication of wind... and I know better. The wind picked up and when we got back we observed that the arm towards the rear of the coach had retracted, the one towards the front had not, and the awning fabric was flapping because it had not rolled up at all when the arm retracted. Fortunately, I was able to extend the awning and retract it a couple of times and that straightened out the awning fabric and things seem to be working okay.

I'm going to do the hair dryer experiment to see if it will function normally, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Could a sudden gust cause this to happen?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #16

After many attempts, the wind sensor still won't bring in the awning. It will with the hair dryer but won't with a wind. I thought we had it nailed, but we haven't. And the local Dometic people won't answer my phone calls on the wind sensor. So I will try another company now that I returned from Palm Springs to Tacoma.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:26 AM   #17

I was having the same problem with my awning. Someone I spoke to was having the same problem and so they replaced the sensor and control box, and told me about the foil cover on top of the sensor and what it was suppose to do. I bought a new sensor and control box off of the internet but haven't had time to install it yet.
anthem4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:33 PM   #18

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
"My sensor was working too good. If you breathed, it would come in."

Jim, as I recall, the sensitivity of the sensor can be adjusted with DIP switches inside the control box. I saw WRV do it at a rally once. Call them.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:20 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
If the blow dryer trick works then the sensor works. ( just my opionion of course)

You can adjust the wind speed setting.

I was in your boat so I called the dealer who gave me the settings to make sensor more sensitive.

Didnt like it because a slight breeze would retract awning. I was impressed to see it working great but also aggravated so I reset it back to factory setting.

These awnings seem flimsy but I here that they are quite strong. I have watched others in very heavy winds ( not mine because im to chicken to keep it out ) and they hold up quite well.

Steve
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:55 PM   #20

I have adjusted the wind speed settings in the control box and it makes no difference. My box of owner's manuals contains the DIP switch settings for different wind speeds. I haven't tried the hair dryer with each setting; just know the lowest speed setting is about 12 mph and highest is about 24 mph; the factory sets it at about 17 - 18 mph. And in gusts of 25+ mph it wouldn't come in when set at 12 mph, but will with the hair dryer.

I have had some other input that I need to change both the sensor and the control box because they're supposed to be matched. When I find a Dometic service person that will answer my phone calls, I'll find out.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Sensor wont respond to gusts. Has to be sustained winds such as with the hair dryer.

Steve
Old 04-02-2008, 06:00 AM   #22

Steve,

A year ago in the same location the awning would come in when the wind barely blowed. This year when the wind's so strong you can't keep your hat on or anything else around without bolting it down and we're in the middle of a dust storm, one would expect the awning to come in. We had extremely windy conditions and it wouldn't work this year.

So, I don't buy your comments -- the wind has been a lot stronger than my hair dryer.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Perhaps the sensor is being sheltered from the sustained heavy winds? Any trees?

A hair dryer pointed directly at the sensor is a good test. It shows the sensor is responding to wind. I dont know the air speed of the average hair dryer but im sure its substantial.

I am considering disabling my sensor and using tie downs.

Steve
Old 04-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #24

I haven't had the tree issue to deal with. The palm trees are well out of the way. I parked in the same spot as last year with winds worse than last year and it wouldn't come in. Last year I couldn't keep it out. But the hair dryer trick worked.

Anyway, I am home in Tacoma and now have the coach at the dealer where I bought it, who does Dometic service and he will try to figure it out.

I think the issue is either the control box or the wind sensor, or a combination of both. My bet is it's the control box. We will see if the dealer can figure it out.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:11 AM   #25

We gave up on our wind sensor within a few months buying the coach. It was too sensitive, and seemed to respond more to air pressure changes than wind - i.e. temp changes as the day warmed up. The awning would often reel in unexpectedly when there was no apparent wind at all.

Anyway, we just turned the wind sensor off. We never leave the coach with the awning out - we've stayed in too many places with sudden wind gusts, and we've seen plenty of ripped awnings. And if we're there and the awning flaps too much we reel it in.

So, I guess for us, the wind sensor hasn't been that useful, so leaving it off has been the best solution.

On the new Alpine Coaches, the wind sensor is located at the end of the reel of the awning itself. Who knows if it works better there or not, but the factory seems to think it's an improvement.

Audrey
Old 04-05-2008, 07:25 AM   #26

Sensor moved to the end of the awning for cleaner air access (less wind shielding from roof corners, etc.) while driving. Now once you exceed 18 mph, the awning should automatically scroll in, no plus or minus.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EngineerMike:
Sensor moved to the end of the awning for cleaner air access (less wind shielding from roof corners, etc.) while driving. Now once you exceed 18 mph, the awning should automatically scroll in, no plus or minus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I figured it was a better location. But does the wind sensitivity seem any better? Or is it just as flakey as usual - or was that only our wind sensor (and a bunch of other people's)? LOL!

Audrey
Old 04-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Thank you Basil,..... as I stated, we had the A&E techy out to the coach to check it out, and he stated that there was no connection to the sensor on the roof. So, I turned off the sensor and operate it solely on manual.

Thank you for your help. Jim
J.S.Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote