Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #1

Axle Ratings for 06 36MDDS?

We had a lot of work done at Redlands Truck Service this week, and I'll add my name to the list of those who think this is a great place to get work done. Looks like we lost that thread with the transfer to the new iRV2 software.

We had the coach weighed, and it had the following weights:

Front Left 6000 lbs
Front Right 5500 lbs
Rear Left 9400 lbs
Rear Right 9400 lbs

Total is 30,300 lbs, or well under the 33,000 lbs GVW listed on the kitchen cabinet door.

However, we couldn't find the overall max design weight for each axle and RTS used a weight they had in their files from a previous coach -13,000 lbs for the front and 20,000 lbs for the rear - and weren't sure if this was the correct design weight. If it is, we're a long way from over loaded with 88.5% on the front axle and 94% on the rear, or 91.8% overall. But I would just like to verify the max design weights.

Does anybody have the max design weight for each axle?
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #2

Bill.......RTS is correct 13000 for front axle, 20000 for rear axle. I checked my brochures 04, 05 and 06 under "weights and measures" all confirm 13K and 20K. Our coach is at RTS now getting serviced and weighed. I will post our weights tomorrow after I pick it up. Nice meeting you at RTS.
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #3

Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me. Don't know why I didn't check the brochure. Guess I didn't think it would be there. That's what I needed to know. Also nice meeting you at RTS.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #4

Old...seems to me that my weights came in lighter than yours when weighed at RTS, but I'll check the numbers when I see the paperwork at my coach today. I'm guessing you are packed more heavily than I, as you are spending a lot of time in the coach. These 36's have an amazing carrying capacity compared to the larger coaches! I guess it's because they have the same underpinnings and engine as the larger coaches without nearly so much weight?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #5

You think the weight difference in left front is propane and slide weight? Was co-pilot seated? Is there enough difference to worry about tire pressure?
Richard and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #6

We believe the weight difference on the left front wheel comes from a number of things, most notably the propane tank. The slide would probably be the next contributor.

We had full propane tank, full water tank, full diesel tank, and empty grey and black water tanks when we weighed. Neither of us, pilot or co-pilot, were inside the coach, so that's a weight we missed but it probably doesn't matter that much unless I go on a major diet. My wife has very little more weight to lose.

We were trying to emulate a "leaving home" weight for the coach, and forgot about sitting in it ourselves.

Depending on the brand of tire, I would adjust the air pressure. Since we still have our factory Toyos after 32,000 miles, and we have about 10 months to go before they are five years old, we will keep them and keep the air at 120 lbs in the front and 110 lbs in the rear, as directed by Toyo and WRV. If we were on Bridgestones, Michelins, or Goodyears, we would take some air out of the tires, based on the tire manufacturer's recommendations for air pressure vs. weight on the tire. It would definitely ride a little softer if we had less air, since we're only at 30,300 lbs gross weight.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Coleman View Post
Old...seems to me that my weights came in lighter than yours when weighed at RTS, but I'll check the numbers when I see the paperwork at my coach today. I'm guessing you are packed more heavily than I, as you are spending a lot of time in the coach. These 36's have an amazing carrying capacity compared to the larger coaches! I guess it's because they have the same underpinnings and engine as the larger coaches without nearly so much weight?
I finally dug out my paperwork. Weights are as follows:

Front: Left 5000 Right 5000
Rear : 8900 7900

Total weight: 26,800., Only 10,000 on the front axle.
This was nearly a year ago, but I recall having nearly a full fuel tank, full propane, but water, gray, and black tanks were empty. I seem to haul around a lot of heavy things in my basement, but I guess some people carry a lot more.

The disparity from right to left year seems awfully great, but I guess the slides weigh very heavily on the left side. I have been running 120# of air in my original Toyos at the suggestion of RTS. I used to run 110# in the front and 95# in the rear and frankly the ride seems unchanged.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:41 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldForester View Post
We had a lot of work done at Redlands Truck Service this week, and I'll add my name to the list of those who think this is a great place to get work done. Looks like we lost that thread with the transfer to the new iRV2 software.
The "best places" thread is still there -- just search "best places" in the Alpine Forum. With no postings since late February, it is just slipping down the list of topics and it is not "sticky".
Old 03-31-2009, 11:34 AM   #9

Rick,

I am surprised your coach is so light compared to mine, especially since they were both weighed at RTS, but I had a few thoughts after seeing yours last week.

I did have a full water tank, so that's probably close to 1,000 lbs difference. The fuel tank was only down about 6 gallons from full. I also have Kwik-EE slider beds on the driver side, and that adds a little weight. Our dining room slides are the same, but the wardrobe slide is bigger due to the vanity sliding with it. I don't know if our dishwasher and Advantium oven add that much weight over your standard microwave, but probably a few pounds. I think the rest of the difference is probably due to the fact that we're heavily stuffed in all our storage area, refer, etc., because we're on the road with it for a couple months, and dealing with both warm and cold weather. For example, I carry a set of chains for the coach in the right front side, and they are heavy (at least 50 lbs). The difference in entry door design, size and weight may add a little.

So, I'm sure we can't reconcile the differences in weight, but those are probably some of the reasons. Plus other little design differences year to year that we don't know about. I seem to remember some other 36's, especially the Limited SE's with smartbeds, weighing 32,000 lbs or more.

In any case, we're both well under the GVW limits; you just seem to be really light and have even less need to carry a lot of air pressure, especially when you do your upcoming tire switch.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:38 AM   #10

Old....the light weight also makes my coach a bit of a hot rod. Nothing like a high power to weight ratio to help you scoot!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #11

Rick -- I sure don't want to drag race you if we do those again at some rally!